• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The War On Drugs: A War On Liberty And Common Sense

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Socially and economically the war on drugs is a disaster, but the real price tag has to be measured in terms of our liberties: drug use is a personal health issue not a political one, and is, therefore, outside the scope of law—at least in a free country. A “free country” is defined as one in which the citizens have the right to act in any non-aggressive manner they choose. Do you think any of those “37 million non-violent drug offenders” would characterize our society as such?

Einstein said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I think the drug war has fulfilled this definition.

The War On Drugs: A War On Liberty And Common Sense - The Philadelphia Bulletin

Einstein said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I think the drug war has fulfilled this definition.

Funny you should post this now....

I have a neighbor that is a retired Sherriff from the Bakersfield area and comes up to Oregon in the summers, he arrived yesterday.

We were talking about the budget problems California has and he said the 2 main problems they have, if solved, would balance their budget.

Problem #1 is Illegal Aliens.

Problem #2 is the medical expenses of prisoners.... not just the medical costs but the fact they have to be guarded by up to 4 guards while on a medical visit, usually on overtime. So just for fun I asked how he felt about the war on drugs expecting him to be all for it.

Big surprise, he said it was stupid to start with and these dumb ass politicians never learn anything from history. (prohibition) He said we could eliminate 1/4 to 2/3's of all prisoners if we cleared the jails of drug offenders saving untold bucks because if you want the very best in medical coverage, go to jail.

I was blown away. (remember, 60+ YO ex Sherriff) he went on to talk about the only way to regulate a substance is to make it a legal substance..... then tax it.

Just an FYI.

The article makes a few valid points -- we mostly fight the supply and not the demand.

But the article makes an idiotic conclusion:

For the sake of liberty and common sense, our drug war needs to end; and when it does, all the problems associated with it will cease as well.

Let me introduce you to liberty:

meth%20face%207.jpg

210K-116-010.jpg

And here's some common sense:

baby.jpg

Even if you are able to go down to your local Pharmacy and purchase some narcotics, that still requires money... right?

So, how do you get that money if you're not working because you failed a drug test?

To All Libertarians who support the notion of ending prohibition on drugs:

Which drugs specifically?

How would people obtain them?

Would the state be responsible for treating drug addiction?
(keep in mind an untreated drug addict can turn to petty and sometimes violent crimes)

The analogy between hard drugs and alcohol is thin at best. Alcohol is a depressant - physical dependence only occurs after periods of excessive drinking. Whereas with opiates, the physical and psychological addition are much stronger.

Back
Top Bottom