• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The War on Cops

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Heather McDonald:

We’re in the midst of the greatest delegitimation of law enforcement in recent memory. Certainly the Obama Administration has been the most anti-law enforcement administration in recorded history.

And the effects of this [that] we see promulgated by the #BlackLivesMatter movement and its media enablers is that officers are backing off of proactive policing. And as a result, crime in big cities, above all cities with large Black populations is going up at a very alarming rate.

[...] I speak to law-abiding residents of inner city communities all the time who say they want more policing, not less; that they back the cops, that the only time they feel safe to go into their building lobby or out on the street is when the cops are there. And yet those voices are not reflected by and large by either the Black activists or in Democratic politicians.

All of this hubub is over 38 shootings. 38 shootings in 2015 of unarmed blacks by cops. That many black men are killed in Chicago by black men in a weekend. Certainly, even one death of an innocent man is too many, but the point is that this is a minute number compared with the number of encounters police have with armed and dangerous felons.

And many many more people are going to be killed, injured, robbed, raped or otherwise violated as a result of the loss of effective policing, and it will be inner city blacks who are hurt the most.

It appears to me that, compared to the political advantage they get from bashing cops, black lives don't matter to anti-cop activists.

Heather McDonald:

All of this hubub is over 38 shootings. 38 shootings in 2015 of unarmed blacks by cops. That many black men are killed in Chicago by black men in a weekend. Certainly, even one death of an innocent man is too many, but the point is that this is a minute number compared with the number of encounters police have with armed and dangerous felons.

And many many more people are going to be killed, injured, robbed, raped or otherwise violated as a result of the loss of effective policing, and it will be inner city blacks who are hurt the most.

It appears to me that, compared to the political advantage they get from bashing cops, black lives don't matter to anti-cop activists.

And how many armed black men have killed cops? Heather MacDonald claims her research has shown a white cop is 18 1/2 times more likely to be killed by an armed black man than an unarmed black man is to be killed by a white cop.

Heather McDonald:

imo, the BLM and other groups need to focus on why blacks kill blacks. It is tragic when a police officer kills an unarmed person. From what I have read the percentage is small in regards to police shootings involving blacks. The greatest percentage is blacks killing other blacks.
http://www.politifact.com/florida/article/2015/may/21/updated-look-statistics-black-black-murders/

Yes, there are a few bad LEO's. There are far more good ones. The bad ones need to be held accountable. That said, we cannot have a country with no Law and Order.
BLM need to address the bigger issue of why so many black deaths occur at the hands of other blacks.

Bet the BLM members still will call 911 when something bad happens around them.

imo, the BLM and other groups need to focus on why blacks kill blacks. It is tragic when a police officer kills an unarmed person. From what I have read the percentage is small in regards to police shootings involving blacks. The greatest percentage is blacks killing other blacks.
http://www.politifact.com/florida/article/2015/may/21/updated-look-statistics-black-black-murders/

Yes, there are a few bad LEO's. There are far more good ones. The bad ones need to be held accountable. That said, we cannot have a country with no Law and Order.
BLM need to address the bigger issue of why so many black deaths occur at the hands of other blacks.

Who would you suggest that they call?Fill us in.

He might have the answers but he won't be coming to your house if you hear a prowler in your back yard.

That's what your local police are paid to do.

Ya don't say :mrgreen:

Who would you suggest that they call?Fill us in.

Who do you think I am suggesting BLM members call?

hint. first number is 9.

Thanks for not responding to the fact that the black community has a bigger problem than LEO's.

He might have the answers but he won't be coming to your house if you hear a prowler in your back yard.

That's what your local police are paid to do.

Theoretically speaking. The reality is that....if you are under assault, your local police will almost never arrive in time ...or not at all. ;)

Your best.....and first line of defense....is you.

hint. first number is 9.

Thanks for not responding to the fact that the black community has a bigger problem than LEO's.

Yep...themselves.

Theoretically speaking. The reality is that....if you are under assault, your local police will almost never arrive in time ...or not at all. ;)

I glock that. :mrgreen:

True, first line of defense is myself.

According to many blacks*... some friends and some people I don't know whose writings I read online... black-on-black crime is irrelevant. At least when discussing police-on-black killings. I'm trying to be empathetic, but no matter how I approach this in my mind I cannot think of a reason why it would/should be separate.

*-And several white SJW friends, too.

According to many blacks*... some friends and some people I don't know whose writings I read online... black-on-black crime is irrelevant. At least when discussing police-on-black killings. I'm trying to be empathetic, but no matter how I approach this in my mind I cannot think of a reason why it would/should be separate.

*-And several white SJW friends, too.

One can say "black-on-black crime is irrelevant", but I disagree. All killings are relevant. . One should look at why LEO shot the victim. Not saying you shouldn't. One should not ignore why one person shot another person , either.

However, your friends are ignoring the fact that more blacks are killed by blacks, for whatever reason. Since it is a bigger problem don't you think both issues should be addressed and not turn a blinds eye to black on black killings.

The question should be why are they ignoring the event that leads to more deaths, that is black on black shootings).?

One can say "black-on-black crime is irrelevant", but I disagree. All killings are relevant. . One should look at why LEO shot the victim. Not saying you shouldn't. One should not ignore why one person shot another person , either.

However, your friends are ignoring the fact that more blacks are killed by blacks, for whatever reason. Since it is a bigger problem don't you think both issues should be addressed and not turn a blinds eye to black on black killings.

The question should be why are they ignoring the event that leads to more deaths, that is black on black shootings).?
I suspect that, possibly subconsciously, that taking it all into account is an "inconvenient truth" that they would prefer to not deal with. It suggests that they must do something to solve the problem, too, rather than rely on others to solve the problem.

Heather McDonald:

I know, right? The government shooting unarmed civilians...why should we care about that?

I know, right? The government shooting unarmed civilians...why should we care about that?

It's not that we don't care, it's why we should place this higher on the priority list of problems, that need addressing. ;)

Heather McDonald has some stellar credentials and it may behoove you to read her book.

It's not that we don't care, it's why we should place this higher on the priority list of problems, that need addressing. ;)

Heather McDonald has some stellar credentials and it may behoove you to read her book.

We certainly need government misuse of force and killing of civilians to be high up on the priority list. It should be one of the highest things on the priority list.

We certainly need government misuse of force and killing of civilians to be high up on the priority list. It should be one of the highest things on the priority list.

One of the highest? Yes!

Right after the liberals get a handle on their ineptitude in Chicago and elsewhere! Once that's done, we will see a lot less police shootings because maybe, some of these yahoos will show some respect for the law.:smash:

Don't forget, most of them are justified .......and Freddie Gray prosecutors have yet to get a conviction in Baltimore because of the racism of that DA!

When you are raised to hate the Po-Po, it's hard to have respect. And when officers are constantly disrespected, they become jaded and very concerned about their lives, on every encounter!

If you have never walked in their shoes, you have no call to second guess what they do!

Last edited:
One of the highest? Yes!

Right after the liberals get a handle on their ineptitude in Chicago and elsewhere! Once that's done, we will see a lot less police shootings because maybe, some of these yahoos will show some respect for the law.:smash:

Don't forget, most of them are justified .......and Freddie Gray prosecutors have yet to get a conviction in Baltimore because of the racism of that DA!

When you are raised to hate the Po-Po, it's hard to have respect. And when officers are constantly disrespected, they become jaded and very concerned about their lives, on every encounter!

If you have never walked in their shoes, you have no call to second guess what they do!
Ya know, that's the EXACT same argument I hear from black people... "Until you've walked in my shoes..."

One of the highest? Yes!

Yeah, I didn't know that all these questionable shootings by police were isolated to Chicago....oh they are not.

Government abuse of power is one of the biggest threats to the general freedom of the People. If someone is so scared that they will shoot unarmed kids before assessing threats properly...perhaps they shouldn't be cops. And since this is government force against its citizens, I have every right to not just second guess what they do, but to demand changes and restrict power usage to proper levels.

hint. first number is 9.

Thanks for not responding to the fact that the black community has a bigger problem than LEO's

Most people know that black people have other problems besides being shot by the police for walking or driving while Black.

My first line of defense is my 3 dogs.

So far no one has got past them.

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom