• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The War On Christmas Is Over

Yes she is a whiner and PC activist that tried to do something and she got hammered on by the people she is supposed to represent.
sucks to be her i guess maybe she learned her lesson.

if it was just that you might have a point, but like her, you evidently didn't know who she was dealing with.
She is messing with a pretty high faith based community where after sunday dinner with fried chicken and sweet tea
is the name of the game in pretty much every home.

where sunday is a day for fishing or hunting and spending time with family is important.
she evidently doesn't get this.

Yes, I've lived in the South my entire life and know all about the idyllic conception of people living here. Maybe you should write a country song about it?

It also has little to nothing to do with the discussion. How does the name of a parade on Dec. 12th impact going to church, or Sunday dinner or the deer hunting trip?

And this is the way it should be. Anyone who is snowflake to be offended by it should just F off. I don't believe I've ever known or heard anyone personally be offended because someone told them Merry Christmas when they weren't Christian. It IS a made-up war - by the left.

Is this what your savior Jesus taught his followers to do?

Bill O'reilly started this nonsense a decade ago to please his religious followers who are desperate to feel persecuted to be alive.

The modern American War on Christmas began “pretty much 10 years ago,” Fox News host Bill O’Reilly recalled earlier this month in a conversation with Sarah Palin (the former would-be veep was promoting her new book, Good Tidings and Great Joy: Protecting the Heart of Christmas). It was sparked in part, he said, by “major corporations [that] ordered their employees not to say ‘Merry Christmas.’”

He got the date slightly wrong. It was actually nine years ago, almost to the day, on Dec. 7th, 2004, that The O'Reilly Factor first aired a segment on “Christmas Under Siege” and, in so doing, appears to have launched The War Over Christmas as we know it.

“All over the country, Christmas is taking flak,” O’Reilly told viewers, deploying a fittingly martial metaphor. “In Denver this past weekend, no religious floats were permitted in the holiday parade there. In New York City, Mayor Bloomberg unveiled the ‘holiday tree,’ and no Christian Christmas symbols are allowed in the public schools. Federated Department Stores—that’s Macy’s—have done away with the Christmas greeting ‘Merry Christmas.’”

There is state endorsement of a religion and of religious belief if Christmas is a federal holiday because the state is recognizing it. Why arent Hanukkah, Ramadan, and Yule, among many other religious celebrations, also equal federal holidays?

That is a violation of the First Amendments religious clauses because it is state support of religious belief over not belief and the sate endorsement of one religion or sect over the others. The state is supposed to be neutral on religion unless you also want the federal government to celebrate Hanukkah and Ramadan and force you to take part, as you seem to do with others and your Christian beliefs.

Christmas should not be a federal holiday.

I do agree with your premise, but seeing that Christianity has a large fellowship in this country, it appears that until the other religions obtain more money they will play second class when it comes to being recognized.

Sure, but you're talking about a parade, on Dec. 12th, which isn't Christmas day (that's on December 25th), but is smack dab in the middle of several holidays. The "Winter Parade" would have also been inclusive to everyone, and wouldn't impact Christmas or why we celebrate it at all, unless why we celebrate it is to buy lots of stuff and make money for retailers.

It would have also been more accurate to name the parade the Winter Parade since supposedly Christmas is about the birth of Jesus and not a thing in the parade has anything to do with Jesus or Christianity.

For reference, last years parade:

WCHS & WVAH TV - Charleston Christmas Parade | Facebook

Yes, I've lived in the South my entire life and know all about the idyllic conception of people living here. Maybe you should write a country song about it?

It also has little to nothing to do with the discussion. How does the name of a parade on Dec. 12th impact going to church, or Sunday dinner or the deer hunting trip?

It is a christmas parade not a winter parade.
i guess you don't know what we are discussing.

It is a Christmas parade not a winter parade.

Then the various churches have to pay for the costs of a religious parade because of the separation of church and state.

Was Christmas celebrated throughout all the colonies? No. The celebration of Christmas was outlawed in most of New England. Calvinist Puritans and Protestants abhorred the entire celebration and likened it to pagan rituals and Popish observances. In 1659, the General Court of Massachusetts forbade, under the fine of five shillings per offense, the observance "of any such day as Christmas or the like, either by forebearing of labour, feasting, or any such way." The Assembly of Connecticut, in the same period, prohibited the reading of the Book of Common Prayer, the keeping of Christmas and saints days, the making of mince pies, the playing of cards, or performing on any musical instruments. These statutes remained in force until they were repealed early in the nineteenth century. In 1749, Peter Kalm noted that the Quakers completely dismissed the celebration of Christmas in Philadelphia. Kalm made another interesting observation about the Presbyterians as well. He wrote in his diary:

Christmas Day. . . .The Quakers did not regard this day any more remarkable than other days. Stores were open, and anyone might sell or purchase what he wanted. . . .There was no more baking of bread for the Christmas festival than for other days; and no Christmas porridge on Christmas Eve! One did not seem to know what it meant to wish anyone a merry Christmas. . . .first the Presbyterians did not care much for celebrating Christmas, but when they saw most of their members going to the English church on that day, they also started to have services.

Last edited:
It is a christmas parade not a winter parade.

Besides a couple of token Santas, how does this parade that I linked to above celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ?

There never was a war on Xmas..

And I just got my, "Give me Christmas or give me Death" signs ready for the protest. Oh well, I'll turn them over and into,
"Presidential Harassment -- It's a real thing!" signs.

Besides a couple of token Santas, how does this parade that I linked to above celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ?

If they claim it is a religious holiday then the theme of the parade should be deeply relgious, instead of cultuiral, pagan or capatalist.

The "war on Christmas" is a lie to defend bigotry. There is a "war on non-Christians", saying they will be second-class, that the official holiday will only be Christian and not their religion or views, to say the state is Christian and they don't count. Nevermind the irony of how much that violates the spirit of what Christmas is supposed to celebrate about loving everyone.

And of course the even greater irony is how the only reason the lie of the "war on Christmas" is told, is to try to get political support and votes from bigoted idiots, to elect plutocrats who will take their money and power. "Hey bubba, screw those Muslims, amiright? Vote for me, and I'll screw you but you won't care, because I said "screw those Muslims"." It's about that simple.

Last edited:
The "war on Christmas" is a lie to defend bigotry. There is a "war on non-Christians", saying they will be second-class, that the official holiday will only be Christian and not their religion or views, to say the state is Christian and they don't count. Nevermind the irony of how much that violates the spirit of what Christmas is supposed to celebrate about loving everyone.

If there is a supposed war on X-mas then why did I spend $30.00 last weekend on stamps and cards to sent t to friends and relatives that celebrate Christmas, plus a card for a Jewish friend who celebrates Hanukkah, despite the fact that I am an atheist?

There never was a war on Xmas..

This "war on" is a propaganda lie. When they want to deny the equality of non-Christians, they insist ONLY Christmas is recognized by saying equal rights are a "war on Christmas". When they want to deny gay people equal rights to marriage, they claim equal rights are a "war on marriage". They're playing on people's psychology telling them they're 'under attack', to advocate for bigotry - to pander to bigots for votes.

I'm not surprised that the left has reignited the War on Christmas to distract from what a failure that impeachment hoax turned out to be.

A poster showing why right-wingers are so out of power in CA, the level of delusion that's common.

Then the various churches have to pay for the costs of a religious parade because of the separation of church and state.

it isn't a religious parade so have a nice day.

I am sure some church's will have a float or two in the parade most do.

Why do Christian's get special rights???

it isn't a religious parade so have a nice day.

Then you should have no problem calling it a holiday parade because Christmas is a religious holiday. Logially, you cannot have a Christmas parade that isn't religious. This parade was cultural and seasonal, so it is a holiday parade.

Then you should have no problem calling it a holiday parade because Christmas is a religious holiday. Logially, you cannot have a Christmas parade that isn't religious. This parade was cultural and seasonal, so it is a holiday parade.

The people can choose to call it whatever they want. they chose to call it a christmas parade. see the 1st amendment.
it doesn't affect you so what does it matter?

actually you can.
actually it is a christmas parade. no one cares that you don't like it. it doesn't violate anything so have a nice day.
no matter how much you stomp your feet it won't change facts.

Back
Top Bottom