• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The war in Afghanistan: 15 years with no end in sight [W:116] [W:170]

re: The war in Afghanistan: 15 years with no end in sight [W:116]

Does that mean that Iran is justified in supporting terrorist groups? Nope.
The US supports Israel. Israel has nuclear weapons in violation of the NNPT. Iran is in compliance with it. Why is it okay for Israel? Israel knowingly attacked the USS liberty killing 34 and wounding 171 sailors. With allies like that, who needs enemies?

963bb9c961aa155896fc97f65255a18c.jpg

Project for The NEW AMERICAN CENTURY!

People don't talk much about this anymore

DivingMullah

Which barracks did you serve in, in Afghanistan? Where were you stationed?

I never deployed overseas. I went from Fort Leonard Wood for OSUT, to Fort Benning for Airborne School, then straight to Fort Bragg for the rest of my contract.

Iran hasn't attacked another country since 1798.

Here's a list of conflicts that Iran has a hand in

Paraphrased from my copy of A Quick and Dirty Guide To War(Fourth Edition)z

Lebanon(supporting Hezbollah efforts among Lebanese Shiites)

Iraq(Iran wanted to drive the US out of Iraq, and to destabilize the country--- a democratic, prosperous Iraq would be a threat to the mullah's dicatatorship)

Straight of Hormuz(chess match between West and Iran over control of this key route)

Israel(Iran supports Arab radicals and supplies Hamas and Hezbollah; training, advisors and equipment)

Azerbaijan vs Armenia(Iran supports Azerbaijan heavily)

Turkey(Iran sponsors radical Islamist groups in the country)

Indonesia, the Phillippines and Malaysia(Iranian support to the Filipino Moro Islamic Liberation Front and the PAS in Malaysia's Kelantan state.

Balkans(Iranian support and arms for Bosnian Muslims)

Egypt(support for Egyptian radicals)

Algeria, Tunisia, Libya(money, guns and training)

Sudan(Iran and the Sudanese government are on good terms)

The US supports Israel. Israel has nuclear weapons in violation of the NNPT. Iran is in compliance with it. Why is it okay for Israel? Israel knowingly attacked the USS liberty killing 34 and wounding 171 sailors. With allies like that, who needs enemies?

Israel has never used its nukes. Do you really think the hardliners in Tehran wouldn't try something if they had nukes, especially if they felt they'd win?

Israel has never used its nukes. Do you really think the hardliners in Tehran wouldn't try something if they had nukes, especially if they felt they'd win?
Israel has them Illegally. Iran doesn't have them and according to the UN and the CIA are not trying to develop them.

I never deployed overseas. I went from Fort Leonard Wood for OSUT, to Fort Benning for Airborne School, then straight to Fort Bragg for the rest of my contract.

Did you hate the US before you went in, or did your military bid change your outlook?

Israel has them Illegally. Iran doesn't have them and according to the UN and the CIA are not trying to develop them.

Well, they aren't supposed to be developing them now since they just signed a huge treaty swearing they wouldn't. But they'd been working on nukes for a long time beforehand.

The Israelis aren't going to give up their nukes, and I can't blame them. Then again, unlike the Iranian regime they haven't been stirring up trouble around the globe.

Well, they aren't supposed to be developing them now since they just signed a huge treaty swearing they wouldn't. But they'd been working on nukes for a long time beforehand.

The Israelis aren't going to give up their nukes, and I can't blame them. Then again, unlike the Iranian regime they haven't been stirring up trouble around the globe.
No, Iran wasn't and there is no evidence that they were.

Iraq(Iran wanted to drive the US out of Iraq, and to destabilize the country--- a democratic, prosperous Iraq would be a threat to the mullah's dicatatorship)

Straight of Hormuz(chess match between West and Iran over control of this key route)

Israel(Iran supports Arab radicals and supplies Hamas and Hezbollah; training, advisors and equipment)

Indonesia, the Phillippines and Malaysia(Iranian support to the Filipino Moro Islamic Liberation Front and the PAS in Malaysia's Kelantan state.

Don't forget Somalia where Iran funded, armed, and trained warning clansmen even though Iran is Sunni's they funded al Qaeda in Somalia (when they left the Saudis stepped in funding the al Qaeda affiliated Shias/Wahhabis that turned into today's al Shabbab) because the US was leading the UN contingent in Somalia against Mohamed Farrah Aidid.

The poor Iranians. Clearly, they should be allowed to annex half the Middle East to make up for other countries being allied with the US.

:roll:

Iran could be the best ally the US as in the region, since Saddam Hussein was lynched. Hell, they were an ally (weren't they?) when Ronald Reagan was selling them weapons.

Don't forget Somalia where Iran funded, armed, and trained warning clansmen even though Iran is Sunni's they funded al Qaeda in Somalia (when they left the Saudis stepped in funding the al Qaeda affiliated Shias/Wahhabis that turned into today's al Shabbab) because the US was leading the UN contingent in Somalia against Mohamed Farrah Aidid.

That's true. I also heard they were running arms to anti American Afghan warlords on the premise that enemy of my enemy is my friend

Iran could be the best ally the US as in the region, since Saddam Hussein was lynched. Hell, they were an ally (weren't they?) when Ronald Reagan was selling them weapons.

Iran is buddy buddy with Putin and Russia.

They weren't really an ally even when Reagan sold them parts under the table. The mullahs really don't like us, and vice versa.

Oh, you're talking about when the US installed the Shah and then helped him develop their nuclear program.... And then after the revolution Khomeini halted it?

Nope. By 1984 it was up and running again

And yet in all that time they only used it for nuclear power. Look, nobody in their right mind wants to see proliferation of nuclear weapons. There is no circumstance where using them is acceptable in my opinion and nuclear programs worldwide should be discontinued.

That's true. I also heard they were running arms to anti American Afghan warlords on the premise that enemy of my enemy is my friend

Could be. I don't know that one from first hand knowledge like I do the one I mentioned and a few others. I have an IRGC uniform shirt I swapped for with the guy that was wearing it and we were not in Iran.

And yet in all that time they only used it for nuclear power. Look, nobody in their right mind wants to see proliferation of nuclear weapons. There is no circumstance where using them is acceptable in my opinion and nuclear programs worldwide should be discontinued.

Because the program was repeatedly sabotaged and they weren't actually able to produce a weapon despite all that effort.

As for nukes in general..... the alternative to Hiroshima and Nagasaki would have been horrendous bloodshed on all sides, even more so then before.

Could be. I don't know that one from first hand knowledge like I do the one I mentioned and a few others. I have an IRGC uniform shirt I swapped for with the guy that was wearing it and we were not in Iran.

Dang :shock:

That's pretty cool. Where were you in?

You're being serious here?

Well, this individual seems to believe that we're in Afghanistan to plunder it of its many valuable resources such as dirt, rocks, and hills, so....

He claimed in the OP that the war was started due to imperialist aggression. Which is ridiculous, obviously.....

What on that list looks worse than American actions worldwide? Fact is, Iran is a stable, conservative society and should (and probably will) become te best ally the US has in the Middle East. Israel aside, because Israel.
You lynched Saddam Hussein. Failed in Afghanistan. Assad has died on the vine. My opinion? Just get the hell out. Pull out all your people fom the whole region, all the hardware you can carry, and get out. And never go back. And make an ally of Iran.

Back
Top Bottom