• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The war against terror is the key..

Unfortinatly since the end of the cold war the government has figgured that cutting the military is in the best intrest now that we are the only "super power". And sadley has effected our troops and the equiptment they are being deployed with.
Absolutely!

Also, the orginal bill was much more than 80 million, but congress cut it before it passed. 110 billion number comes to mind, but that may not be accurate. You know, the one that was voted for before against.

CSA_TX said:
Pacridge I couldn't agree with you more. That is one thing I do not understand. However I don't believe it would be any better with a different comander in cheif. Unfortinatly since the end of the cold war the government has figgured that cutting the military is in the best intrest now that we are the only "super power". And sadley has effected our troops and the equiptment they are being deployed with. However I have to wonder if all of a sudden DOD signed a no bid contract with the manufacturer of armour to get what was needed ASAP. Would that be tied to Dicks fortune also. Instead of doing what is needed unfortinatly politics come first in DC.. Also unfortinate is that most voters do not pay attention to the vote records of there representitives or hold them accountable.
I agree. And you can't pin this on one party or the other. Both parties have been short changing the military for some time now. Even Reagan who by all accounts was extermely pro-military did little in the way of actual troop support. His support went mainly to the contractors and defense companies. The average troop went ignored. And I agree that changing the C-IN-C wouldn't solve this problem either. Though it might have helped the overall planning errors. Nor would changing out Rummy. But it's too late for that now. Now we're going to war with the Sec of Def. we have, not the one we might like to have. I believe the problems are so deep rooted that I'm not sure even that would solve anything. I'm sorry to say that in this case I can easily see the problem but the solution doesn't seem so readily apparent. One thing is to get the average citizen more involved with how their elected officals are voting on these issues. We can best support our troops by holding those people we elect responsible for their votes.

vauge said:
Absolutely!

Also, the orginal bill was much more than 80 million, but congress cut it before it passed. 110 billion number comes to mind, but that may not be accurate. You know, the one that was voted for before against.
Yes, But did you know that the bill changed? That's one of the reason Sen. Kerry changed his vote. The first version of the bill was to be funded, in the second it was going to be borrowed. Adding more to the ever increasing deficit.

I think one of the things we can do is to follow these votes and bills more carefully. One way to do that is through Yahoo's Mega Vote site.

http://www3.capwiz.com/y/megavote/

This will allows you to input your zip code and will keep you updated as to how your Rep's are voting and what the bills actually say. This way you don't have to rely on news networks to tell you what the bills say or who voted for what and why.

One of the things that I agree with that Ralph Nadar said during this last election is that "if Americans spent half as much time following how their elected rep's are voting as they do following how their favorite sport star is doing- this country would be way better off."

I'm so glad to see a more in-depth argument for the anti-war choice. Thanks for sharing.

You say my position centers on what is "good" and that "good" is subjective. Correct for the person, but not for humanity. Individually speaking, a person has the functioning ability to make a determination as to what they perceive is "good" - to use a simplistic term (which I started). But it's liken to a color-blind person perceiving a green LED as red, and saying either "Ah, hell. To me that's red," or "I can't tell," when the truth is that it is green because humanity, throughout the ages and regardless of language agrees as such. It is simply an inability on someone's part, in the LED case - due to genetics, in the broader sense - through culture, rearing, etc., that they can't see the truth.

Now I am not saying that anti-war advocates can't see what is truly good. Obviously, you/they can. I was arguing your conception of "good" for humanity as subjective. I submit that parts of a person's belief structure can be aligned with the true good for humanity, while other parts can fall short - again either due to culture, religion, rearing which demented the mind, an uncommon experience, etc.

Mixmedia and Tetsuo also bring up the number of dead in Iraq or our number dead as validation against the war. But this is exactly the rationalization of the "individual" that goes against the idea of "humanity". When you argue that a life or a death is superiorly important over addressing an abomination of humanity, you set a course of destruction for humanity. Would you argue that we should only try to defeat someone by physical means when they themselves have killed our families or "X" number of people worldwide? Any less and it's just not worth it? What are your personal thoughts on WWII? Dufar? Rwanda? Police Officers?

I find it interesting, Mixmedia that you believe this:
Mixmedia said:
Which to my knowledge, war is not and has never proved to be successful in combatting and in fact, sows the seeds of more man-made destruction and suffering.
Humans have been in wars since the beginning of time. Forever. This is not a justification for war to continue. The ultimate hope of humanity is to live in harmony - very utopia - I know, and Mixmedia seems to hold strongly to the idea. But we have had to wage wars to get us to the place we are now and fight back those abominations. And we have managed to avoid annihilation thus far and I'd have to say that as a whole, individual humans are much better off living now than in centuries and millennia past. Or would you disagree?

So then there's a lot of discussion about what we can all do the help those suffering and the sacrifices needed to make turn the world into the much sought after utopia. And you, Mixmedia agree that you are even bound by your current life circumstances as to how much you can help to make that happen. As am I, or I'd be in Iraq. And that's the real eye-opener. We live in the real world and we do have to live our real lives. We've been fortunate enough to have them as wonderful as they are and we live them and we appreciate them while knowing others are not so fortunate. But do we sacrifice all? Some people do, and some people do what they can. Every little bit of good is important.

Understanding all of this, I am so glad they are people on both sides. It's the yen and yang of life. Honestly good people on both sides are better than only one on one side, wouldn't you agree? Because when the time comes that the anti-war choice is a more valid option, then there will be voices to hear.

And there was a reference to "arrogant American bullies". Do I qualify?

WKL815 said:
So then there's a lot of discussion about what we can all do the help those suffering and the sacrifices needed to make turn the world into the much sought after utopia. And you, Mixmedia agree that you are even bound by your current life circumstances as to how much you can help to make that happen. As am I, or I'd be in Iraq. And that's the real eye-opener. We live in the real world and we do have to live our real lives. We've been fortunate enough to have them as wonderful as they are and we live them and we appreciate them while knowing others are not so fortunate. But do we sacrifice all? Some people do, and some people do what they can. Every little bit of good is important.
Circumstances are keeping you from going? What circumstances? Couldn't be money, lot's of people are losing money. I've got friends who had great jobs and are now earning 1/2 or less doing their duty in Iraq. Some of them may or may not be able to return to their old occupations (some jobs you can't do with one leg, law enforcement is one of them). But they do it because they believe in what they're doing. Couldn't be kids, lots of soldiers have kids they've left behind. I mowed a friend's yard all summer long as she went off to Iraq, left her daughter with her mother. Lot's of people still go to do what they think is the right thing regardless of circumstances. So are you over 35? Are you injuried? Unable in some way? Or do you just support it as long as you don't really have to sacrifice anything? So just how "right" do you think this war is?

I always thought the war in Iraq was a complete mistake, still do. But I have nothing but the most sincere respect for those who do think it's the right move and they're willing to put their money where their mouth is; talk, as always, is cheap.

Circumstances are keeping you from going? What circumstances? Couldn't be money, lot's of people are losing money. I've got friends who had great jobs and are now earning 1/2 or less doing their duty in Iraq. Some of them may or may not be able to return to their old occupations (some jobs you can't do with one leg, law enforcement is one of them). But they do it because they believe in what they're doing. Couldn't be kids, lots of soldiers have kids they've left behind. I mowed a friend's yard all summer long as she went off to Iraq, left her daughter with her mother. Lot's of people still go to do what they think is the right thing regardless of circumstances. So are you over 35? Are you injuried? Unable in some way? Or do you just support it as long as you don't really have to sacrifice anything? So just how "right" do you think this war is?

When I first read this, my jaw hit the floor - saying outloud "hes right, WTF am I doing here at 4am in the morning when I should be in Iraq or fighting for my country? What kind of patriot am I?".

Then I thought about it.

In a high school football game there 5 basic elements. They are the players, the coaches, the administration, the fans and the referee.

Everyone of these elements are crucial for a successful strategy. While I hate to use an analogy of a "game" to a war, it is truely this simplistic. The fans are nothing without the players, as the players are nothing without the coaches and administration etc...

I am a "fan" because of my phsical attributes. The term fatass comes to mind, coupled with the fact that I have had siezures as an adult and do not know if they would return. Doc would laugh his ass off and never sign the paper. Giving me the football would not be in the best interest of the fans, the coaches, and most of all the other players.

There are 2 basic problems in this "game".
1. The referee (UN) blows the whiste and says 'game on', but then sits on the bench.
2. The announcers (media). When the team scores a goal - they scream interception! This makes for a challenging fan base as some see the goal scored and some hear the announcement.

Last edited:
CSA_TX said:
Tetsuo

What I'm getting out of this is that you believe the Iraqi citizens would be happier with Saddam in power. Am I correct or did I read that wrong?
If I am correct then I have no idea were your coming from. I saw with my own eyes the Iraqis tearing down the statues of Saddam.

I too saw the people tearing down statues of Saddam but if I were a loyal Saddam supporter I would not have been out there trying to stop them with the American army hanging about. OK that is a frivolous answer I did see that crowd but I have also seen news footage of a huge crowd lining the river Tigris firing in to the reeds with guns because it was rumoured that there was an American pilot hiding in them, similarly I have seen pictures of allied soldiers bodies being dragged behind cars and beaten by crowds despite the fact that they are already very dead simply because their hate for them is so great. These pieces of footage don't get shown as much as the Saddam statues being pulled down, I wonder why?

The fact is that Iraq is made up of a number of different races of Arabs and so the support for the US in one area is necessarily the same for the entire country. To draw a parallel look at what happened to Yugoslavia. When I was young it people were Yugoslavian and that was the end of it. Once Pot died look at the storm that engulfed the place as the different races tore in to each other, it is the same in Iraq. No one man having a bit of a talk with a few locals from one or a number of towns will be able to understand this divide and so to say "well I know someone out there" doesn't really cut it. I also know someone out there and he says that Iraqi people shoot at him a lot.
If the allies are not careful in Iraq they will find themselves fighting a similar battle to the people of Israel. As more and more action is taken against the enemy more innocents will be killed and more of their loved ones will take up arms to fight the soldiers who, as far as they are concerned, should never have been there in the first place.

Thanks, Vague.

Pac, *heh heh* After all the ideas I've expressed, that's the point you choose to "debate"?

Next I suppose you'll be asking why I'm not marrying the war if I love it so much.
:lol:

vauge said:

When I first read this, my jaw hit the floor - saying outloud "hes right, WTF am I doing here at 4am in the morning when I should be in Iraq or fighting for my country? What kind of patriot am I?".

Then I thought about it.

In a high school football game there 5 basic elements. They are the players, the coaches, the administration, the fans and the referee.

Everyone of these elements are crucial for a successful strategy. While I hate to use an analogy of a "game" to a war, it is truely this simplistic. The fans are nothing without the players, as the players are nothing without the coaches and administration etc...

I am a "fan" because of my phsical attributes. The term fatass comes to mind, coupled with the fact that I have had siezures as an adult and do not know if they would return. Doc would laugh his ass off and never sign the paper. Giving me the football would not be in the best interest of the fans, the coaches, and most of all the other players.

There are 2 basic problems in this "game".
1. The referee (UN) blows the whiste and says 'game on', but then sits on the bench.
2. The announcers (media). When the team scores a goal - they scream interception! This makes for a challenging fan base as some see the goal scored and some hear the announcement.
Sounds to me like you have a medical situation that would keep you from going. For me you get a pass. You can support the war from here and I'll still respect you in the morning. My message was aimed at all those people out there that are physically able, are of age and seem to think this war was the greatest idea since indoor plumbing. I'm constantly running in to people who say things like we need to fight this war, we should be doing this, there no question it's something we need to do. Almost without exception by WE they mean somebody else. It's exactly what Cheney did during Nam. He was all for doing it, as long as somebody else was doing the doing. So for all you ardant supporters who are young enough and fit enough here's a site that should get you on your way:

http://www.military.com/ContentFiles/WelcomeLandingTwo.htm?ESRC=ov_dvdad.kw

So, Pac. Your debate tactic here is to attack the messager for admitted self-interest instead of the principles of the belief?

I'll be sure to employ that if I ever run out of steam or logic in defending my position.

That's where I'll end my rebuttal to your claim. Adding any excuses would only make you feel like your devaluation of my beliefs based on not making a big enough sacrifice has merit.

Sounds to me like you have a medical situation that would keep you from going. For me you get a pass. You can support the war from here and I'll still respect you in the morning. My message was aimed at all those people out there that are physically able, are of age and seem to think this war was the greatest idea since indoor plumbing. I'm constantly running in to people who say things like we need to fight this war, we should be doing this, there no question it's something we need to do. Almost without exception by WE they mean somebody else. It's exactly what Cheney did during Nam. He was all for doing it, as long as somebody else was doing the doing.

Pac, I am not sure you got the full meaning behind my post.

Re-read it with the below in mind:
The amchair quarterback is NEEDED in our society. The folks that bitch, complain, and tell them how to run the "game" are not good players, but may indeed be the best fans. The coaches don't want them. It takes a special kind of person to be a player (soldier).

vauge said:
Sounds to me like you have a medical situation that would keep you from going. For me you get a pass. You can support the war from here and I'll still respect you in the morning. My message was aimed at all those people out there that are physically able, are of age and seem to think this war was the greatest idea since indoor plumbing. I'm constantly running in to people who say things like we need to fight this war, we should be doing this, there no question it's something we need to do. Almost without exception by WE they mean somebody else. It's exactly what Cheney did during Nam. He was all for doing it, as long as somebody else was doing the doing.

Pac, I am not sure you got the full meaning behind my post.

Re-read it with the below in mind:
The amchair quarterback is NEEDED in our society. The folks that bitch, complain, and tell them how to run the "game" are not good players, but may indeed be the best fans. The coaches don't want them. It takes a special kind of person to be a player (soldier).
So the people here who so support the war but aren't willing to actually go serve are doing their part by being "Armchair Quarterbacks?" Seems to me that we've got an over abundance of armchair quarterbacks. A lot of the "special kind of person's," as you put it, are being given a special kind of surprise by having their deployments and enlistments extended. They'd probably like it if a few more of you armchair quarterbacks would get in the game.

Last edited:
mixedmedia said:
I am a little hesitant to blame Al Jazeera outright for the larger perception of America in Iraq. After all, these perceptions existed long before Al Jazeera hit the airwaves just a few years ago. Plus, while I don't have access to their news broadcasts, I have visited their website and they do not seem to be as viciously anti-American as the Bush administration would like us to believe. The coverage I saw there seemed fair; maybe because I don't expect them to have the same perspective as American news and because I know that there is news out there that would reflect badly on us - news that is simply not being covered here in America (hmmm, I wonder why?). In relation they are certainly not any more unfair or unbalanced than FOX. If you haven't seen it, you should check out the documentary, The Control Room, about Al Jazeera. It was made by, an Iraqi ex-pat from Britain (or perhaps she is from another Arab country, I'm not so sure now). It will give you a fresh perspective on Al Jazeera and their news coverage.
Mission accompished, as they say. I watched the Movie "Control Room" last evening. Interesting to say the least. Still working on doing a fact check. So far fairly fair and fairly factual. Kind of scarey. Makes one look at what we're being told as opposed to what a lot of the rest of the world is being told. I had heard that story about the men tearing down the Saddam statue being planted before. I think the Wa. Post did a story it or may have been the BBC. So that's a least the second time I heard that story. The story I read also noted that the men didn't speak with Iraqi accents or dialects. Still don't know what's the truth, probably never will. But I find it odd that when you see Iraqi's really protesting things, they seem to be in large numbers, yet in that scene there appears to be realitively few. I heard one arguement that the reason for that was the war was still ongoing and people were afraid to be in the streets. Well at the same time that was happening people were, in large numbers, tearing through office buildings and museums looting. Even on the same street. They didn't seemed too scared. So I don't find that arguement very factual.

I do have to admit I've spent some time looking through their web site and it doesn't appear to be overly anti-American. Maybe I'm falling into the same pool of thought where anything that doesn't paint us in a good light must then be untrue, biased and propaganda. I've feel I've been able to see that in other's and now maybe I'm doing the same? It's just too bad there's so much poor information out there. It makes it hard to know what is and what isn't factual. And I think as an American I want to believe we always do the right thing, but deep down I know we're human and as such capable of making mistakes. Even if those mistakes are done with good intentions.

Pacridge said:
Mission accompished, as they say. I watched the Movie "Control Room" last evening. Interesting to say the least. Still working on doing a fact check. So far fairly fair and fairly factual. Kind of scarey. Makes one look at what we're being told as opposed to what a lot of the rest of the world is being told. I had heard that story about the men tearing down the Saddam statue being planted before. I think the Wa. Post did a story it or may have been the BBC. So that's a least the second time I heard that story. The story I read also noted that the men didn't speak with Iraqi accents or dialects. Still don't know what's the truth, probably never will. But I find it odd that when you see Iraqi's really protesting things, they seem to be in large numbers, yet in that scene there appears to be realitively few. I heard one arguement that the reason for that was the war was still ongoing and people were afraid to be in the streets. Well at the same time that was happening people were, in large numbers, tearing through office buildings and museums looting. Even on the same street. They didn't seemed too scared. So I don't find that arguement very factual.

I do have to admit I've spent some time looking through their web site and it doesn't appear to be overly anti-American. Maybe I'm falling into the same pool of thought where anything that doesn't paint us in a good light must then be untrue, biased and propaganda. I've feel I've been able to see that in other's and now maybe I'm doing the same? It's just too bad there's so much poor information out there. It makes it hard to know what is and what isn't factual. And I think as an American I want to believe we always do the right thing, but deep down I know we're human and as such capable of making mistakes. Even if those mistakes are done with good intentions.

Hey! Yes, it is very interesting...they're just folks after all, eh? I read another story about the Saddam statue event, too. Gosh, I wish I could remember where, but the story had aerial photographs of US tanks surrounding the square and even a photo of the crowd where you could plainly make out Chalabi (forgot his first name already...so quickly, Ahmad?). But knowing what can be done with photoshop so very easily, I don't believe everything I see either. Glad you got to watch the film, though! Take care.

Oh, and as far as Americans always doing the right thing - we can't even manage that at home much of the time so why should we expect it while at war? Honestly, the fact that we have committed atrocities and otherwise played against the rules of war (and we have, let's be real) doesn't plague me nearly as much as the fact that we try to cover it up and/or deny it. I question the sanity of "rules of war" anyway. How can anyone realistically expect young people to maintain rational judgement and civility while they are at war? Then there are those that are just a-holes...the minority, yes, but we've all met them before!

I just want to be told the truth. I think we can handle it.

mixedmedia said:
Hey! Yes, it is very interesting...they're just folks after all, eh? I read another story about the Saddam statue event, too. Gosh, I wish I could remember where, but the story had aerial photographs of US tanks surrounding the square and even a photo of the crowd where you could plainly make out Chalabi (forgot his first name already...so quickly, Ahmad?). But knowing what can be done with photoshop so very easily, I don't believe everything I see either. Glad you got to watch the film, though! Take care.

Oh, and as far as Americans always doing the right thing - we can't even manage that at home much of the time so why should we expect it while at war? Honestly, the fact that we have committed atrocities and otherwise played against the rules of war (and we have, let's be real) doesn't plague me nearly as much as the fact that we try to cover it up and/or deny it. I question the sanity of "rules of war" anyway. How can anyone realistically expect young people to maintain rational judgement and civility while they are at war? Then there are those that are just a-holes...the minority, yes, but we've all met them before!

I just want to be told the truth. I think we can handle it.
I have always been able to recognize the Iraqis, or anyone for that matter, as just folks. A lot like us in many ways. Not like us in other ways. But in the end only cultural differences. My preception was that Aljazeera was a completely anti-American network just out to make us look bad. In my attempts to wade through the smoke, fog and spin I've come to have a somewhat different opinion. They do report items that make us look bad. But it's completely possible that our actions are making us look bad and they're merely reporting our actions. It's becoming more and more difficult to defend all of our actions. Though I tend to believe we're trying to the right thing, however misguided the attempt may be. The logic and reasoning for going into Iraq has not been supported. Some say the administration knew these facts all along and merely covered them up. I really don't know and at this point really don't care. But it never made any sense to me to go after Saddam when we knew bin Laden was the mastermind of the attacks on us. Even if we truely did believe he was supporting bin Laden shouldn't we have at least finished one job prior to starting another? I mean we only comitted some 10,000 troops to going after the guy we knew attacked us. Then sent over 100,000 (now nearly 150,000) troops to go get the guy we thought might have had something to do with it. I've never been able to follow that logic.

I like your comment regarding our young troops. I've consistantly said basically the same thing. War's dirty work and there no nice way to wage it. To expect these young men and women to make rational humane dessions at all times is unrealistic. I remember being in the Navy in the early 80's. I met several guy's who'd just returned from Centeral America. They had some fairly awful tales to tell. Even had some distrubing picture to go with the stories. You have a different view of someone after seeing them hold two severed human heads in a picture. Keep in mind we weren't even at war at this time. These guy's were merely training other's. I guess training someone how to behead someone is a hands on type thing. Least that what they told me. Trust me there really is something "special" about Special Forces.

So, as for being told the truth. Maybe we can and maybe we can't handle the truth. Some people I've spoke to recently have stated they feel the press shouldn't be allowed to report stories that make us look bad. I recently went to a funneral service for a friend of my daughter's. He was killed outside of Baghdad by a roadside bomb. Many of the guy's in his unit that came to the service told me that the press is hurting them with these reports. It's hard not to feel for them. But one of the things that make us such a great country is freedom of speech and freedom of the press. Things they're fighting for in Iraq. Seems illogical to support their efforts by denying ourselves the very same freedom. In the end I think we're better off knowing as much of the facts as possible. Turning a blind eye to things we'd prefer not to see doesn't really help the situation.

Last edited:
Pacridge said:
I have always been able to recognize the Iraqis, or anyone for that matter, as just folks. A lot like us in many ways. Not like us in other ways. But in the end only cultural differences.
Actually, I was referring to the folks at Al Jazeera, but you are right. Watching Control Room you can't help but be struck by the fact that they are not foaming at the mouth, fanatical, American-haters. They are just people going to work and doing their job everyday. Naturally, being Arab they are going to have a different "spin" (or call it sympathy) than we have in our reportage over here but I have seen no evidence that they fabricate or "proselytize" against America. Sometimes the facts hurt.
Pacridge said:
In my attempts to wade through the smoke, fog and spin I've come to have a somewhat different opinion...Though I tend to believe we're trying to the right thing, however misguided the attempt may be.
Most of our troops are trying to do the right thing, but I think they are being misguided. I am not at all convinced that the neo-cons are trying to do the right thing. Not at all. And from what I've seen and read, not even all of our troops believe they are being used for a good purpose.
Pacridge said:
Even if we truely did believe he was supporting bin Laden shouldn't we have at least finished one job prior to starting another? I mean we only comitted some 10,000 troops to going after the guy we knew attacked us. Then sent over 100,000 (now nearly 150,000) troops to go get the guy we thought might have had something to do with it. I've never been able to follow that logic.
That's because it is not logical. It is the beginning of a long pined-for neoconservative agenda cloaked in "the interests of national security." Read up on the neocons & their aims then it will all make sense. http://www.csmonitor.com/specials/neocon/index.html
Pacridge said:
I like your comment regarding our young troops. I've consistantly said basically the same thing. War's dirty work and there no nice way to wage it. To expect these young men and women to make rational humane dessions at all times is unrealistic.
Yes. I have a nephew going to Iraq in March. One of the sweetest young men I know. He is in the Marines. Yet, I know that it is distinctly possible that he could - through fear, instinct, anger - do things he wouldn't normally do. Everyone has that capacity in them. Which is why I have a fundamental disagreement with the concept of "the good war." It's like saying a little bit of evil is okay. You can give into your darkest impulses as long as you are doing it for your country. I can't wrap my mind around that as an acceptable fact of life.
Pacridge said:
I remember being in the Navy in the early 80's...Trust me there really is something "special" about Special Forces.
Wow, that is quite a story. See what I mean, though? How is that acceptable? It reminds me of the School of the Americas story. Only heard about that recently and came to find people have been protesting it for 15 years! Have you heard about it? Here's a link if you're interested. http://www.soaw.org/new/type.php?type=8
Pacridge said:
But one of the things that make us such a great country is freedom of speech and freedom of the press. Things they're fighting for in Iraq. Seems illogical to support their efforts by denying ourselves the very same freedom. In the end I think we're better off knowing as much of the facts as possible. Turning a blind eye to things we'd prefer not to see doesn't really help the situation.
Amen. Nice talking with you Pacridge. Have a great day!
Here's a great article written by Bill Moyers...this one really speaks to my heart on the issue of war and religion. I like to pass it on to as many people as I can.
http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=magazine.article&issue=soj0408&article=040810
Sorry for all the links, I'm just feeling generous this morning. I don't expect you to read them all. They're just good to have as reference....food for thought, ya know!

WKL815 said:
Would you argue that we should only try to defeat someone by physical means when they themselves have killed our families or "X" number of people worldwide? Any less and it's just not worth it? What are your personal thoughts on WWII? Dufar? Rwanda? Police Officers?
Speaking for myself only, I would only agree that there need to be more concerted efforts to try and prevent such things as Darfur, Rwanda and Nazi Germany. Yes, we have been fighting these wars since forever, but are they really, really solving the world's problems or throwing a blanket of domination over them? I would like to see more commitment to healing the societal ills of the world before I will personally validate the necessity of war. And speaking specifically to this war in Iraq, the human rights abuses that occurred there under Hussein are far from the worst that have been/are being carried out on the planet. President Assad of Syria ordered the killing of 20,000 of his countrymen, fundamentalists Muslims who were challenging his secular government yes, but their community was slaughtered and their homes razed, bulldozed over without media coverage or anyone able to go in and find their loved ones. 70,000 in Darfur. How many hundreds of thousands in Rwanda? The horror of having your children dragged out of their beds at night to have their arms hacked off by machete-wielding militants in Sierra Leone. And, tragically, so many others...We felt no compulsion to go in and stop these atrocities in the name of humanity. Thus, justification of the Iraq war because we want to free the Iraqi people is quite frankly, ten loads of b******t.
WKL815 said:
And we have managed to avoid annihilation thus far and I'd have to say that as a whole, individual humans are much better off living now than in centuries and millennia past. Or would you disagree??
But do you really think that betterment of human existence today is due to fighting wars? I don't see that as justification. After all, it doesn't seem to deter their occurrence. Imagine if we had developed the same faith in other ways of conflict resolution. How might things have turned out? It's not too late!
WKL815 said:
But do we sacrifice all? Some people do, and some people do what they can. Every little bit of good is important.
Understanding all of this, I am so glad they are people on both sides. It's the yen and yang of life. Honestly good people on both sides are better than only one on one side, wouldn't you agree? Because when the time comes that the anti-war choice is a more valid option, then there will be voices to hear.
Maybe we don't have to sacrifice as much as we think. After all, what is more painful to sacrifice than what we are sacrificing now - the lives of our loved ones? I don't purport to have all the answers. I only know what lies in my heart.
WKL815 said:
And there was a reference to "arrogant American bullies". Do I qualify?
Not really. I mostly limit that endearment to folks like Cheney and Wolfowitz. ;)
Take it easy, WKL815

mixedmedia said:
Most of our troops are trying to do the right thing, but I think they are being misguided. I am not at all convinced that the neo-cons are trying to do the right thing. Not at all. And from what I've seen and read, not even all of our troops believe they are being used for a good purpose.

That's because it is not logical. It is the beginning of a long pined-for neoconservative agenda cloaked in "the interests of national security." Read up on the neocons & their aims then it will all make sense. http://www.csmonitor.com/specials/neocon/index.html
I think most of our troops are trying to the right thing. But in their training they're being given mixed messages. It's hard to train someone to kill, but only some of the time. I know when I was in training we were constantly told we were "killers" and killing was our job. You end up with a "Kill'em all let God sort'em out" mentality. But do you want Girl Scouts defending the nation? There's just no way to wage war in a nice way.

As for the neocon's. I think most of the conservatives are hard working honest people who have been mislead and misinformed. Look at the situation we have today, we've got an entire network calling itself a "News Network" while really just spreading propaganda. They call themselves "Fair and Balanced." But let's face it they're a lot like pro wrestling- kind looks like sports but let's face it the fix is in. They've been very effective at convincing a lot of hard working honest people to believe and accept as fact things that just aren't true. It's really been hurtful for the country.

Take a look at this last election. I basically knew Bush was going to win when he added to his speeches something along the lines of : "Kerry's wants to tax the rich, you know what they do? They dodge, you pay!" That's a generalization and may not be exactly what he said but it's close. Everytime he made that statement a crowd of hard work honest people acted like he'd just told them they'd won the lotto. When he was basically able to tell people that you shouldn't tax wealthly people like myself and Dick Cheney because we're just going to dodge our taxes anyway and still stick you guys with the bill, when people are that blinded, then it's a lost cause. These guys are nothing more than modern day "Robber Barrons" and they've managed to convice a bunch of hard working people help them with their robbing. And the complete insanity is the people helping them are the people they're robbing. As a freind of mine recently told me- he heard Bush make that speech and he wanted to run through the streets yelling "Soylent Green is People, Soylent Green is People." I couldn't agree more.

Talk about long responses ( your first post WLK815)!I am glad I have someone to argue on this point with. President Bush has planned on this so called threat to the U.S. as a cover for a war to get himself richer, cover his ass about not being able to find the still existing Bin Laden and has redirected our anger at the Iraqi people. Also, WHAT ARE WE DOING THERE, I mean, the people hate us and attack us daily. We should get out before we waste any more soldiers lives.

It's too late to get out of iraq now. It would only make if worse for the people there. We are in over our neck.

I thought I'd throw this out here...you can throw it back if you like...

We have the Shi-ites to the South, or bottom, of Iraq.

(Can anyone guess the little memory clue I use so I never forget the "shi-ites are on the bottom?" ) LOL

The Sunnui's (sp?) in the middle of Iraq, and the Kurds to the north.

Why not have 3 separate states, each with it's own representation, and a federally elected body...just as we do in America?

This is the only chance of democracy in Iraq...otherwise...just another autocratic society, or worse, civil war for the next 25 years with our never ending military prescence.

Gee...won't that make everyone in the Middle East happy?

Hoot

unless you get an India/Pakistan thing where the three countries are constantly battling it out betwean eachother.

Rhadamanthus said:
unless you get an India/Pakistan thing where the three countries are constantly battling it out betwean eachother.

Quite right...the difference being...we don't have troops dying between India and Pakistan.

We don't, do we?!

I haven't been keeping up on the news the last few days!

Bush didn't have another talk with God, did he?!

haha, no but i don't think we do.

But the way I see it we are in Iraq. It's too late to get out. Let's do something productive while were there. And dividing it up into three seperate nations isn't going to do it.

:fu :fu What is the so called evil thgat you speak of when Saddam is out of power. Before the war the iraqis had an abstract construct of hate. But now that we've killed innocent people little Ishmal has grown up on the streets with dead parents because of the U.S. Who does he blame? We have now created a group of people who want revenge and who now really hate us.

Back
Top Bottom