• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The War Against Christmas

sokpupet

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I just wanted to get this out ahead of this right-wing wedge issue meme we see year after year, after year, after year~

The War Against Christmas - davblog
~snip
There's that favourite Daily Mail straw man, the war against Christmas. They'll be claiming tomorrow that it must be true because the pope says it is (he's infallible, you know). But it's not any more true today than it was yesterday. It's a pile of lies and exaggeration which is rolled out by the tabloids every year in order to scare the christians into toeing the party line.

It's getting earlier each year, too.

So you deny there is a war against christmas and christians in general? Odd, I thought that was well accepted fact; the world hates christianity, almost every new TV show/book/song deals with affirming the non-existence of God or to throw christians in disrepute in any way possible.

Is it wrong? Not my call. But it is happening.

Tell you what.

I'll promise not to complain about the manner in which you choose to celebrate whatever holidays you celebrate, and you do the same (assuming said celebrations are legal of course).

^ I don't give two pa-toots what you do any day of the week, much less for the holidays.

That said, I believe you are wrong to suggest there isn't a war on Christmas and Christianity as a whole. Visit reddit for a few days and get back to me.

So you deny there is a war against christmas and christians in general? Odd, I thought that was well accepted fact; the world hates christianity, almost every new TV show/book/song deals with affirming the non-existence of God or to throw christians in disrepute in any way possible.

I do hope this is sarcasm (being around here has dulled my sensitivity towards this particular form of communication, at least online) but on the off-chance it isnt, get a hobby.

There is not now nor has there ever been a war on Christmas. I hate Christmas with a burning passion and even I, someone who WISHES for a war against Christmas, can recognize there is no such thing. It's an imagined persecution to try and create unity amongst US Christians. Christmas has been and still is the most popular holiday of the year in the US and that shows zero signs of changing so until people are kicking down your door and hauling you off to camps for putting up Christmas trees (which, ironically, are as pagan as it gets) you have no room to complain about a supposed war on Christmas.

If I mis-interpreted what you said and it truly was sarcasm, forget what I said.

People disagreeing with each other is not the same as a war. I am a Christian and this is one thing that irritates me to no end. There is no persecution in this country (in other countries, sure), there are people with other view points and an interest in voicing those viewpoints, but as far as I can tell, thats it.

OpEdNews - Article: The Real War on Xmas
~snip
The great campaign to transform the religious holiday into a commercial festival began in England and America in the early 1800s. For one thing, there was the raucous caroling tradition to be suppressed. More importantly, a growing middle class produced by the emerging industrial age had disposable cash on hand. But retailers were having a hard time squeezing it out of their pockets. Why not emphasize the gift giving aspect of the gospel birth story and see if folks could be encouraged to put down cold cash for presents to friends and relatives? What was needed was some propaganda. As per the 1822 standard “Twas the night before Christmas…” tale, their nonfictional parents turned holy Saint Nicholas into a gift-distributing fictional elf whose promises to the kids had to be kept. Dickens’ masterpiece, A Christmas Carol, more than anything else, established the new notion of Christmas as a secular nuclear family holiday. Coca-Cola’s seasonal advertising would help finish the transformation of Santa Claus in into the fat, jolly materialist by the mid 1900s. During WW II, Bing Crosby’s crooning “White Christmas” in Holiday Inn, and Judy Garland’s heart breaking rendition of “Have a Merry Little Christmas” in See You in St. Louis, further cemented the modern concept of the family day. In the 50s and 60s, a middle class, relieved to be out of the depression and world wars, could not help but celebrate their marvelous prosperity by throwing piles of goods at their baby boomer offspring and each other on Christmas morning. During those years, Christmas to this child was about the wonderful tree, the anticipation and the actuality of the wonderful morning of a cascade of presents from Santa et al., visiting relatives, New Year Eve, the big break from school. The birth of the baby Jesus? Ehhhhh. Going to church on the 25th? A mere Tom Sawyerian annoyance if we bothered to do it. The mercantile project has been fantastically successful as the commercial nature of the Christmas season becomes ever more deeply entrenched.

Many Christians have allowed and supported the destruction Christmas as willing accomplices supporting the illusion of a Burl Ives Christmas in the worship of capitalism.

You may also be interested in another thread here: ' Are White People an oppressed minority?'

Last edited:
OpEdNews - Article: The Real War on Xmas
~snip

Many Christians have allowed and supported the destruction Christmas as willing accomplices supporting the illusion of a Burl Ives Christmas in the worship of capitalism.

Don't forget the Jews. More then a handful have sued to remove Christmas related items from various places during the holiday season.

I remember the story about the Rabbi suing the Tacoma Airport over the Christmas tree. I never hear anyone criticizing Jews in the war on Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom