• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Void: new gaming experience

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

https://thevoid.com/

Looks SO cool, it's like laser quest or paintball mixed with virtual reality.

I can also see it being adapted for military training but this looks so much better than traditional "sat on your butt gaming" using a joystick to interact and this can also be developed into real group games.

https://thevoid.com/

Looks SO cool, it's like laser quest or paintball mixed with virtual reality.

I can also see it being adapted for military training but this looks so much better than traditional "sat on your butt gaming" using a joystick to interact and this can also be developed into real group games.

It looks cool but the only serious problem is that this only works if you create a theme park based around it. Sustained, or even "in your home", experiences are just not going to be possible for this, or at least not until you can do real-time 3-D printing or some type of spontaneous wall generating... Which seems like way farther out in the future than where VR sits now.

Still, it's interesting to see where VR stands now that displays, motion tracking, and graphics card technologies have now finally caught up with the needs of VR technologies --and this is something that video game makers, computer scientists, etc, have been waiting for for a long time.

It looks cool but the only serious problem is that this only works if you create a theme park based around it ~

Like I suggested, it would work for the military in the first place. I don't see this in your home unless you have a few unused rooms that you can run around in. As for spontaneous wall generating, I can see 3D scanners capturing detail pretty quickly so that you can change the environment around and change the game map really quickly. (Repeat gamers would probably start to find the whole thing boring once they know the terrain)

It looks cool but the only serious problem is that this only works if you create a theme park based around it. Sustained, or even "in your home", experiences are just not going to be possible for this, or at least not until you can do real-time 3-D printing or some type of spontaneous wall generating... Which seems like way farther out in the future than where VR sits now.

Still, it's interesting to see where VR stands now that displays, motion tracking, and graphics card technologies have now finally caught up with the needs of VR technologies --and this is something that video game makers, computer scientists, etc, have been waiting for for a long time.

The at-home experiences are smaller-scale, of course, and lack dynamics walls, but the experience is pretty impressive already. HTC's Vive is already available for order, and it has "room scale" VR experiences using some infrared tracking systems to track both your headset and the hand controllers throughout the room. It has a system that warns you when you're coming close to your actual walls.

How to travel around a world larger than your living room is a bit of a development process. I've seen some neat ideas in various demos. One was a game where the user could scale themselves up at will, so if you wanted to cross a city you'd turn into a giant and take one step across and shrink back down. Obviously only works when it's thematic. Others I've seen let the user teleport to the next room and move from there. I haven't seen it implemented but I heard someone talk about an idea where you'd walk to the edge of your room and then physically turn around. As you did so, the scene would rotate in time with your spin to keep the view looking like you're walking in a straight line. I'm skeptical of that method, though, as I'm pretty sure that's a shortcut to motion sickness.

Seated-VR stuff, the pieces are all there. I think we're about to see a resurgence of the flight simulator games with VR cockpits. Several titles already work with the Vive and Rift, Elite: Dangerous being the most prominent of the space-fighter sims.

Back
Top Bottom