• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Virgin Birth, Crucifixion, Resurrection, and Ascension

Mary had no other children. And certainly the Jews didn't acknowledge that He was born of God.
Mary had other children...the scriptures are clear...

What's the word for cousin in the Bible?

• 1 Timothy 4:13: Until I come, attend to the public reading of scripture, to preaching, to teaching. (Does this mean Timothy should stop teaching after Paul comes?)
We are not talking about cousins but siblings...

BTW, what do the majority of biblical scholars say about your Watchtower translation of the Bible, especially John 1? They say it's UTTERLY FALSE.
Changing the subject time and time again does not help you...

We are not talking about cousins but siblings...
Adelphoi covers both. So how do you know definitively which one it refers to?

Where does the Bible call anyone else the son of Mary?
They are listed in the same scripture that calls Mary Jesus' mother that I already gave you...

They are listed in the same scripture that calls Mary Jesus' mother that I already gave you...
They are referred to as the adelphoi of Jesus, not the sons of Mary.

Adelphoi covers both. So how do you know definitively which one it refers to?
I explained that, too...why don't you read my posts before you ask questions I've already answered?

I explained that, too...why don't you read my posts before you ask questions I've already answered?
I read it and disagreed. The text calls Mary his mother and the others his adelphoi.

Do you seriously think that you know better than the Greek fathers who read this text in the same language it was written and who still taught the perpetual virginity of Mary? That's a lot of hubris.

I read it and disagreed. The text calls Mary his mother and the others his adelphoi.

Do you seriously think that you know better than the Greek fathers who read this text in the same language it was written and who still taught the perpetual virginity of Mary? That's a lot of hubris.
I know better than catholics who think Jesus was an only child and that Mary remained a virgin throughout her life...lol...the scripture plainly says she remained a virgin until Jesus was born...

I know better than catholics who think Jesus was an only child and that Mary remained a virgin throughout her life...lol...the scripture plainly says she remained a virgin until Jesus was born...
  • 1 Timothy 4:13: Until I come, attend to the public reading of scripture, to preaching, to teaching. (Does this mean Timothy should stop teaching after Paul comes?)

Changing the subject, again, I see because you can't accept the truth...

Changing the subject, again, I see because you can't accept the truth...
It has to do with your bad interpersonal of the word "until." That Mary was a virgin until the birth of Jesus doesn't mean she stopped being a virgin immediately after He was born.

It has to do with your bad interpersonal of the word "until." That Mary was a virgin until the birth of Jesus doesn't mean she stopped being a virgin immediately after He was born.
Nope, she stopped being a virgin until after Jesus' birth and then she had intercourse with her husband, as all married couples do...

Nope, she stopped being a virgin until after Jesus' birth and then she had intercourse with her husband, as all married couples do...
Citation needed.

Citation needed.
Yeah, I gave it once...guess you missed it...

"But he did not have sexual relations with her until she gave birth to a son,+ and he named him Jesus." Matthew 1:25

Yeah, I gave it once...guess you missed it...

"But he did not have sexual relations with her until she gave birth to a son,+ and he named him Jesus." Matthew 1:25
Are you unable to read my posts? The word until does not necessitate a ceasing of the state after the fact.

Are you unable to read my posts? The word until does not necessitate a ceasing of the state after the fact.

I dismissed your post because what Paul said to Timothy is in a completely different context...surely you know that...Timothy continued his reading/teaching/preaching in the congregation before and after Paul's arrival...we know the context of Matthew 1:25 is saying Joseph restrained from having sexual relations with Mary until after Jesus' birth, until that he was not free to perform his husbandly duties...afterwards, he was...plain and simple...Mary had other children...Matthew 13:55; Mark 6:3; Luke 2:7...

And don't go round and round again about them being spiritual brothers...they were not...we know this is not true because if Joseph had been father to sons older than Jesus, the eldest of these would have been Joseph’s legal heir, not Jesus...the crazy idea that Mary remained a virgin throughout her married life is also in direct conflict with the Scriptures, since the Bible says that at one point “his brothers were, in fact, not exercising faith in him”...John 7:5...the Bible clearly distinguishes Jesus’ brothers from his disciples...John 2:12...

And the theory that Jesus's cousins were actually his brothers? Uh no... the Greek Scriptures use distinctly different words for “brother,” “relative,” and “cousin"...

ἀδελφῶν/brothers, συγγενῶν/relatives

ἀνεψιὸς/cousin

I dismissed your post because what Paul said to Timothy is in a completely different context...surely you know that...Timothy continued his reading/teaching/preaching in the congregation before and after Paul's arrival...we know the context of Matthew 1:25 is saying Joseph restrained from having sexual relations with Mary until after Jesus' birth, until that he was not free to perform his husbandly duties...afterwards, he was...plain and simple...Mary had other children...Matthew 13:55; Mark 6:3; Luke 2:7...

And don't go round and round again about them being spiritual brothers...they were not...we know this is not true because if Joseph had been father to sons older than Jesus, the eldest of these would have been Joseph’s legal heir, not Jesus...the crazy idea that Mary remained a virgin throughout her married life is also in direct conflict with the Scriptures, since the Bible says that at one point “his brothers were, in fact, not exercising faith in him”...John 7:5...the Bible clearly distinguishes Jesus’ brothers from his disciples...John 2:12...

And the theory that Jesus's cousins were actually his brothers? Uh no... the Greek Scriptures use distinctly different words for “brother,” “relative,” and “cousin"...

ἀδελφῶν/brothers, συγγενῶν/relatives

ἀνεψιὸς/cousin

What word is used in the septuagint to describe the relationship of Abraham to Lot, his nephew?

Brother. Adelphoi. Genesis 14:14.

Do you know Greek better than the writers of the septuagint too?

Further, why was Mary confused about the angel telling her that she would have a son? Elizabeth was old so we can understand why Zechariah doubted. Why was Mary confused about her being told that she would have a son? It only makes sense because we know that she planned on remaining a virgin (which is why she was not punished for expressing her question like Zechariah was).

Last edited:
What word is used in the septuagint to describe the relationship of Abraham to Lot, his nephew?

Brother. Adelphoi. Genesis 14:14.

Do you know Greek better than the writers of the septuagint too?

Further, why was Mary confused about the angel telling her that she would have a son? Elizabeth was old so we can understand why Zechariah doubted. Why was Mary confused about her being told that she would have a son? It only makes sense because we know that she planned on remaining a virgin (which is why she was not punished for expressing her question like Zechariah was).
lol...how about addressing my post 1st...

lol...how about addressing my post 1st...
I did. If adelphoi only means brothers when not talking about spiritual brothers then why is Lot called Abraham's adelphos in the septuagint?

I did. If adelphoi only means brothers when not talking about spiritual brothers then why is Lot called Abraham's adelphos in the septuagint?
I gave you the Greek words...can you not see the difference in spelling? After all, we are talking about Greek here, not Hebrew...

I gave you the Greek words...can you not see the difference in spelling? After all, we are talking about Greek here, not Hebrew...
The Septuagint is written in Greek. Why is Lot called Abraham's brother when he's really his nephew? Because adelphos has a broader meaning.

The Septuagint is written in Greek. Why is Lot called Abraham's brother when he's really his nephew? Because adelphos has a broader meaning.
And I gave you the words for brother, relative, and cousin in Greek...they are not the same...

And I gave you the words for brother, relative, and cousin in Greek...they are not the same...
So were the translators who wrote the septuagint wrong in their translation by using that word adelphos?

Back
Top Bottom