• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The USA One Of The Most Educated Countries

DebateChallenge

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
The USA has among the most educated people and the USA also has, of course, among the strongest gun culture. They go hand in hand. Its the uneducated people who want more gun control and its the uneducated people who don't like guns.

The USA has among the most educated people and the USA also has, of course, among the strongest gun culture. They go hand in hand. Its the uneducated people who want more gun control and its the uneducated people who don't like guns.

Modern Americans are some of the most ignorant sons of bitches as have ever been seen, regardless of how highly they have themselves esteemed.

ARGUMENT REJECTED!

Cannot wait to see your sources on this one.

Who did that study?

Cannot wait to see your sources on this one.

My own experience. Getting an education teaches you to think, particularly if you've got a college education. Being involved in the gun debate requires you to think if you want to be effective at it. When you really think it over you come to the conclusion that being against guns is not sensible but rather emotional. Those who don't like guns and want stricter gun laws have got emotion. Those who are for gun rights have logic and good thinking ability.

My own experience. Getting an education teaches you to think, particularly if you've got a college education. Being involved in the gun debate requires you to think if you want to be effective at it. When you really think it over you come to the conclusion that being against guns is not sensible but rather emotional. Those who don't like guns and want stricter gun laws have got emotion. Those who are for gun rights have logic and good thinking ability.

I want to sort of clarify the issues

1) most people who support gun control are either ignorant or stupid. They actually believe that the proposed schemes (and by gun control I don't mean laws that penalize assault, robbery or murder etc with a gun nor bans on discharging firearms in the city limits or in other areas or laws that prohibit people carrying guns in banks or courts etc, but rather crap like waiting periods, "assault weapon bans", magazine limits etc) will substantially reduce violent crime

2) some of the people who support this are faith based pillow heads who (and I have heard this dozens of times)-they don't care what the impact is-they want to make a "STATEMENT" against violence. These people might not be stupid or uneducated, but it is akin to asking them to prove the existence of God or Buddha etc-its faith based with rational thought completely ignored

3) the final major group are machiavellianistic politicians or advocates. Democrat party leaders, Mark Kelly (Giffords' Husband) etc. they are usually well educated and intelligent. They are not stupid-just completely dishonest as to what they hope gun control does.

I think the people who generally support gun control are partisan and or ignorant. I do not think they're stupid nor do I think they're uneducated necessarily.

Most of the arguments I've seen for gun control refer to common Sense measures being taken. Yet when pressed the people who advocate for these things could not tell me what these measures were or how they would be effective. This speaks mostly to ignorance of current gun law and law enforcement. Most of the people who wish to have some of these gun control measures don't own guns and therefore they don't have to know the law that governs it.

Then you have the partisans the people that skip over the argument involving so-called common Sense gun control. They normally mention platitudes such as "it's about saving lives" or "if you don't agree with them you support children being killed."

I think the former can be reasoned with, they may not ever agree with you but it's important to identify them and have a respectful discussion with them.

The latter well engaging with them is a waste of time. They aren't making an argument to forward a message or to persuade you they are doing it to provoke you.

Last edited:
Some people need to clean out their PM mailboxes. Only so many are allowed and then no more PMs can be received.

So if we are among the most educated people and only dumb people don't want guns, what of the other 9 countries in the top 10?

Well the countries that beat out the USA is the UK, Korea, Israel, Japan, and Canada with Canada willing first place in having the most educated people and also winning second place in gun rights losing only to the USA in that department. Now the UK is very restrictive with guns but that's because the USA beat them in the Revolutionary War and so they don't want to be like the USA because they're still bitter over that loss so they like to have heavy gun restrictions unlike the USA, particularly since what's now the USA beat the UK by force of arms. Korea and Japan, guns never did play much of a role in their culture, particularly in Japan where a person with a gun could easily beat a fully armed and armored samurai so the Japanese have a particular distaste for guns but guns never were a part of the Asian cultures which is interesting considering the fact that such cultures played a big role in the invention and development of gunpowder and fireworks. I don't know much about Israel but Canada which is the most educated country of all, it beats out all the other countries, although they could use some improvement, they're quite gun friendly when compared with most other countries. Even certain parts in the USA they beat out in terms of gun friendliness and they certainly beat out the other four countries in being much more gun friendly than them. So there you have it, educated people believe in gun rights uneducated people don't. And this is aside from any research that suggests educated people vote democrat. Even if the research is right and educated people do tend to vote democrat as a general rule, those educated people who do vote democrat are nonetheless for gun rights. Just because a person is a democrat and votes democrat doesn't mean they're against gun rights. Im a republican, technically Im registered as such, and there are some causes that I believe in that one might say are democratic causes but I do believe in them even though Im a republican.

Once again, the pure white racism of the Democratic Party shows thru in your link as it talks about the education level of WHITE voters, basically declaring non-whites are subhuman so don't count - though they vote.

The two lowest educated demographics - blacks and Latinos - vote Democratic. Without high school dropouts the Democratic Party would only qualify as a 3rd party.

The claim that the lowest educated people (not just white people) vote Republican is 100% false. They vote Democratic.

Once again, the pure white racism of the Democratic Party shows thru in your link as it talks about the education level of WHITE voters, basically declaring non-whites are subhuman so don't count - though they vote.

The two lowest educated demographics - blacks and Latinos - vote Democratic. Without high school dropouts the Democratic Party would only qualify as a 3rd party.

The claim that the lowest educated people (not just white people) vote Republican is 100% false. They vote Democratic.

^^ This must be what unsubstantiated bull**** looks like.

Care to point out some specifics from that link that prove your points?

I don't particularly trust that study. Besides, the girl who was kicked out of the home she shared for having guns was also a Donald Trump fan and obviously voted for Trump, she's a Harvard graduate.

In any case, correlation does not imply causation. Education and gun culture are unrelated. Some gun enthusiasts are highly intelligent and well-educated. Some are uneducated. Some who want to ban firearms and eliminate gun culture like European countries are highly educated. Some are uneducated. Both sides have their reasons.

The US consistently ranks low in test scores and in quality of life when compared to countries that ban firearms. Does this contradict your op? Or is it possible that something other than gun culture is at play here?

Your idea doesn't hold up within the US, let alone internationally.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/23/the-10-most-and-least-educated-states-in-2018.html

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/these-states-have-the-most-restrictive-gun-laws-in-america.html/

The Pew Research Center is non-partisan and I didn't see any racism in that study. Doesn't it make sense to refer to the majority of people who vote? Wouldn't it be more racist to give uneducated minorities more weight in the study than everyone else? The only reason to do that would be in order to skew the results in order to avoid a conclusion you don't like.

So if we are among the most educated people and only dumb people don't want guns, what of the other 9 countries in the top 10?

I didn't make the claim

I think you mean "Marxist-indoctrinated people tend to vote democrat"...

I didn't mean that, but it's entirely possible that this is true. Conspiracy theorists tend to vote republican. Fortunately, both are in the minority and so don't really represent their parties.

Somalians, the remote villages of Afghanistan, and many backward South American countries have many more guns than we do.

I think you mean "Marxist-indoctrinated people tend to vote democrat"...

Now there's a good reason to reject education. It's Marxist indoctrination!

Back
Top Bottom