• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The US Needs More Defense Spending

That isn’t what the article in your OP says though, that was my point. The only factor it considered was total amount spent compared to total amount spent by other nations (measured and adjusted in different ways).

Surely, the correct way to approach this is to work out what you want the military to actually achieve, then what resources they would need to achieve that and how much those resources would cost. That should determine the military budget. How that total amount compares to what other nations spend is irrelevant as long as the military can achieve its aims.

That is already done. Then the planners have to match up the strategy with what they can get in the way of a budget.

[h=3]Quadrennial Defense Review - Wikipedia[/h]
[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrennial_Defense_Review

[/URL]

The Quadrennial Defense Review Report was the main public document describing the United States' military doctrine. In 2018, the QDR was replaced by the National Defense Strategy (February 2018). As stipulated in the 1997 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), the QDR is to be conducted every four years.

Sweet. I suppose that I assumed that you voted for Republicans. Sorry for the error.

No Democrat proposed a tax increase either. In 2018 at the national level I voted for one Repub and one Dem.

No Democrat proposed a tax increase either. In 2018 at the national level I voted for one Repub and one Dem.

the Democrats also voted against Trump's plan to allow the hyper-rich to raid the treasury. spending more on the military while gutting revenue isn't terribly "conservative," nor is it good policy, nor is it necessary. the US spends more on the military than the next ten nations combined. that's quite enough, if not excessive.

First, Robert J. Samuelson is not "some random internet guy."
Second, all of your link is anticipated and refuted in Samuelson's column.

like i said, contact them and let them know. i'll go with my source over your opinion.

Sorry, but you can't insult your way out of the corner you put yourself in by offering an excuse.

I'm not insulting you when I point out your rank dishonesty and odd dependence on repeatedly saying something you can't back up.

Like always.

I'm not insulting you when I point out your rank dishonesty and odd dependence on repeatedly saying something you can't back up.

Like always.

You demanded accountability in DoD; there is plenty already. Then you laughably characterized Samuelson's column as a "puff piece." If you knew anything at all about Samuelson you would know he doesn't do those. No, you demanded something already present, and then demonstrated complete lack of familiarity with the issue. My use of the term "excuse" was perhaps too kind.

Last edited:
You demanded accountability in DoD; there is plenty already. Then you laughable characterized Samuelson's column as a "puff piece." If you knew anything at all about Samuelson you would know he doesn't do those. No, you demanded something already present, and then demonstrated complete lack of familiarity with the issue. My use of the term "excuse" was perhaps too kind.

Jack, where was Samuelson’s column run in the WAPO?

Back
Top Bottom