• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The US Navy Has Drifted Badly Off Course

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Three main failures are imperiling the sea service, writes the service’s former chief learning officer.

860x394.jpg

9/21/20
During the past year, I worked in the E-Ring of the Pentagon as the Navy’s chief learning officer, reporting directly to the Secretary of the Navy. I was disturbed, however, by many signs that under the Trump Administration, the Navy has drifted badly off course. Over the last four years, the Navy’s civilian leaders have failed to define a compelling vision for the Navy’s future, reform a badly broken ship design and acquisition system, or build a diverse, high-performing leadership team. These failures – caused, in part, by rapid turnover in leadership, with five different Secretaries or acting Secretaries of the Navy serving on average for only nine months — have damaged Navy effectiveness, undercut morale, and jeopardized national security. The primary naval responsibility of every administration is to define the navy the United States will need in coming decades to protect national security. This strategic vision is developed and shared publicly through a process called “future force assessment.” The current administration has utterly failed to meet this responsibility. Defense Secretary Mark Esper stripped the Navy of its responsibility to design our future navy and assigned the task to his staff, an unprecedented development reflecting total lack of faith in the service’s leaders and its strategic planning capability. As a result, the Navy – our nation’s experts on naval combat and strategy – has lost the power to define its own future.

The Navy’s ship acquisition program is also struggling. If we want to maintain the world’s strongest navy in the face of aggressive Chinese construction plans, we need to acquire powerful, cost-effective manned and unmanned ships in significant quantities. The last three major surface warship programs, however, have been disasters. (USS Ford aircraft carrier, the hyper-expensive Zumwalt class destroyer program, and the Littoral Combat Ships, dubbed the “Little Crappy Ships”). Finally, the administration has failed to develop a diverse, high-performing leadership team. To fix these problems, the Navy needs to implement a series of fundamental reforms. The Department of the Navy needs to create a joint Navy-Marine Corps think-tank inside the department staffed by leading naval thinkers from universities, think tanks, and the uniformed services. And we need a revolutionary commitment to diversity and inclusion, starting at the top, that changes the way we recruit, assign, promote and mentor officers and civilian executives of color. Our sailors and Marines – and our country — deserve better. Fixing these problems is not impossible, but it will take a real commitment to change.

Unfortunately, few if any positive changes in the US Navy will transpire until the dumpster-fire Trump administration is relegated to the ash-heap of history.

Three main failures are imperiling the sea service, writes the service’s former chief learning officer.

860x394.jpg

Unfortunately, few if any positive changes in the US Navy will transpire until the dumpster-fire Trump administration is relegated to the ash-heap of history.

The Navy top leadership has been a dumpster fire for the past 20 years and the ship design's in question were laid out and implemented long before Trump came along...................so where have you been?

Yep, all of those problems started WAAAAY before Trump took office. Those programs were started YEARS ago. Obama had 8 years to fix them and he didn't. Just another smear campaign against Trump cause he wants to drain the swamp.

The Navy top leadership has been a dumpster fire for the past 20 years and the ship design's in question were laid out and implemented long before Trump came along...................so where have you been?

Nice avatar sailor. An elephants ass.

Pretty much says it all.

860x394.jpg

Look at who their commander in chief is. Of course.

Nice avatar sailor. An elephants ass.

Pretty much says it all.

I was thinking of you when I decided to keep it. I reminds me of your junk threads regarding things you actually know little about but try to come off as some authority.

Shipbuilding politics by the Navy leadership has been in the tank for years, but you cling to a article that offers nothing in substance.

I was thinking of you when I decided to keep it. I reminds me of your junk threads regarding things you actually know little about but try to come off as some authority.

Shipbuilding politics by the Navy leadership has been in the tank for years, but you cling to a article that offers nothing in substance.

If you're so all knowing at this, why don't you put in your application to one of the many fine defense industry publications?

Don't bother. Your app would wind up in the circular file with all the other know-it-all riff-raff apps.

If you're so all knowing at this, why don't you put in your application to one of the many fine defense industry publications?

Don't bother. Your app would wind up in the circular file with all the other know-it-all riff-raff apps.
Your knowledge of ship building and other military matters could be fit into a thimble.

But you continue to embarrass yourself by coming off all knowledgeable. ;)

Your knowledge of ship building and other military matters could be fit into a thimble.

But you continue to embarrass yourself by coming off all knowledgeable. ;)

I was never a Navy engine room babysitter such as yourself.

Marines don't do such mundane work :giggle:

That's so funny. Not donald's doing it was long before him. The great economy, donald's doing. January the nineteenth the last full day of the obama administration, the economy sucked, ask any republican. January twentieth the first half day trump took office, the economy is great. Ask any republican.

That's so funny. Not donald's doing it was long before him. The great economy, donald's doing. January the nineteenth the last full day of the obama administration, the economy sucked, ask any republican. January twentieth the first half day trump took office, the economy is great. Ask any republican.

Do you have anything to argue about the state of shipbuilding?

I was never a Navy engine room babysitter such as yourself.

Marines don't do such mundane work :giggle:

I happened to be one of those "engine room babysitters". There are much worse rates to be in the Navy and the civilian prospects are pretty good for those babysitters.

That's why we have the Navy ... USMC washouts 😀

I never had any desire to be a Marine (or Soldier for that matter). The Navy lets us swim our PFA.

Besides the KBay Marines couldn't figure out on their own that an E6 in the Navy has no influence over any junior Marine's career when they are in different chains of command, in jobs that could not serve together, until the Navy command laughed at the call to bring charges. Some Marines lose sight at what rules are actually in place for, their actual purpose, using them just as an excuse to punish someone. Of course, the Navy has those types too. Ours tend to come in the form of Boatswain Mates.

I never had any desire to be a Marine (or Soldier for that matter). The Navy lets us swim our PFA.

Besides the KBay Marines couldn't figure out on their own that an E6 in the Navy has no influence over any junior Marine's career when they are in different chains of command, in jobs that could not serve together, until the Navy command laughed at the call to bring charges. Some Marines lose sight at what rules are actually in place for, their actual purpose, using them just as an excuse to punish someone. Of course, the Navy has those types too. Ours tend to come in the form of Boatswain Mates.

Geezus. Relax.

I was teasing Elephant With The Red Ass.

Also not the only or main ones to touch our engines, despite the name. In fact, they don't work on the nuclear ones at all.

Of course nukes are definitely a very special breed. Ah, the amount of times I heard the phrase "damn nukes".

Yeah, nukes are a fancy way to boil water, so....not exactly what one would call an engine anyway.
Mechanics don't do nuclear physics, they do reciprocating piston physics. ;)

Yeah, nukes are a fancy way to boil water, so....not exactly what one would call an engine anyway.
Mechanics don't do nuclear physics, they do reciprocating piston physics. ;)
We have to learn thermodynamics, metalurgy, chemistry, and the startup rate for the Reactor, along with what would happen if you pull rods and increase speed at the same time. I also learned that Critical is a good thing so long as it is expected.

We have to learn thermodynamics, metalurgy, chemistry, and the startup rate for the Reactor, along with what would happen if you pull rods and increase speed at the same time. I also learned that Critical is a good thing so long as it is expected.

If you really wanted to get a foothold on the ladder of success in the Nuclear Navy under the old regime, you had to see a certain person who would leave you standing around in his office for several of the longest minutes of your life, and then he would suddenly look up and tell you "to make him angry".
I bet you know who I am talking about.

Well? Say his name! 😁
I know you know who I am talking about.

Back
Top Bottom