• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The US is becoming a police state. If I was young I'd seriously think about leaving

Yesterday's decision to overturn Roe and roll back woman's rights to the 1960's has only reinforced my belief that the US is on the fast track to becoming a total police state like the Soviet Union was in the same era. And I think Thomas has made it clear that the ultra-conservative wing of the SC doesn't intend to stop with abortion. It intends to go on and reverse contraception, certain forms of sexual relations between consenting adults, gay marriage and God knows what else. Count of the Republicans gaining control of the Presidency and Congress in 2024 and then they will get to work outlawing abortion nationally, dismantling Obamacare and Medicare and replacing them with nothing, shredding the safety net for the poor and passing more tax cuts for the wealthy. And that's just for starts.

I am an old man so it's too late for me, but if I were just starting my life I'd seriously think about getting out of the US and starting life in a more progressive freer country where the loony Christian conservatives haven't taken over. I think that as conditions continue to deteriorate in the US life here will become unbearable, no different from what Russia and some of the 3rd world countries are going through now. It won't be a pretty sight.

I asked this in a poll just a day or so ago.

The USA is no longer a desirable country to start out in life if you value the 21 century.

Democracy and constitutional republic are not at odds with each other because democracy is always representative democracy when applied on a national level.
There is no such thing as direct or pure democracy at the state level, or even "city-state" level...not since Athens 2500 years ago.
You and others like you have been told this innumerable times.

That you are so allergic to facts is orwellian.
“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
You tell me a million times still dont make what you say true. We live in a Federal Republic. Period. You wish to call our government something it is not so you can justify mob rule. This is the fight, between the "progressive" authoritarians and everyone else. More people see the writing on the wall every day what insane idiots they are.

The fact that it's a republic doesn't mean it's not a democracy. It's a democratic republic. Jesus Christ man, they talk about voting and republicanism in the Constitution. It's clearly a democratic republic.
No it is not. It is a Federal Republic.

I think very differently. I believe religion is the scourge of the human race.
Perhaps organized ones I would tend to agree and the atheist religion is worse then even Muhammad

>>>>>>>>>>Athe very worst, the court MAY turn the decision of gay marriage back to the states

And what do you think the red states will decide to do about gay marriage?
Possibly what they did before the bad ruling was issued in 2012. Or not. And dont kid yourself...it was California that voted to ban gay marriage that spawned the Supreme Court case.

Yesterday's decision to overturn Roe and roll back woman's rights to the 1960's has only reinforced my belief that the US is on the fast track to becoming a total police state like the Soviet Union was in the same era. And I think Thomas has made it clear that the ultra-conservative wing of the SC doesn't intend to stop with abortion. It intends to go on and reverse contraception, certain forms of sexual relations between consenting adults, gay marriage and God knows what else. Count of the Republicans gaining control of the Presidency and Congress in 2024 and then they will get to work outlawing abortion nationally, dismantling Obamacare and Medicare and replacing them with nothing, shredding the safety net for the poor and passing more tax cuts for the wealthy. And that's just for starts.

I am an old man so it's too late for me, but if I were just starting my life I'd seriously think about getting out of the US and starting life in a more progressive freer country where the loony Christian conservatives haven't taken over. I think that as conditions continue to deteriorate in the US life here will become unbearable, no different from what Russia and some of the 3rd world countries are going through now. It won't be a pretty sight.
Its never too late to Chaese your dream. And don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

You think guns and abortion are all that define whether a country is free or repressive? I may have mentioned abortion but I also mentioned restricting healthcare for the poor and tax cuts for the wealthy.
USSR had free medical care. You are not making sense.

Possibly what they did before the bad ruling was issued in 2012. Or not. And dont kid yourself...it was California that voted to ban gay marriage that spawned the Supreme Court case.
:oops:

I know. right? Kind of puts things in perspective.

-We hate the Supreme Court! Power to the people! We demand democracy!

OK...So the people in the states vote...and they voted to ban gay marriage.

-Thats...wait...I mean...not democracy...we want...the...Courts...to FORCE gay marriage...NOT the people voting!!!

Back
Top Bottom