• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The US Air Force is working on general artificial intelligence

minamicruiser

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
https://thenextweb.com/artificial-i...s-working-on-general-artificial-intelligence/
"The term GAI refers to an artificial intelligence with human-level or better cognition. Basically, when people argue that today’s AI isn’t “real AI,” they’re confusing the terminology with GAI: machines that think.

Deep within the cavernous expanses of the US Air Force research laboratories a scientist named Paul Yaworsky toils away endlessly in a quest to make America’s aircraft intelligent beings of sheer destruction. Or, maybe he’s trying to bring the office coffee pot to life, we really don’t know his end-game.

What we do know comes from a pre-published research paper we found on ArXiv that was just begging for a hyperbolic headline. Maybe “US Air Force developing robots that can think and commit murder,” or something like that."

___
To be honest, I don't think this is something really new but this is a very creepy way of explaining on how the air force is developing robots.

Back in the early '90's I worked as the tech editor of a software development firm whose contracts/AI proposals and projects were primarily with the Air Force. I don't know how long the Air Force has been researching and developing, but it's been at least since the late '80's.

https://thenextweb.com/artificial-i...s-working-on-general-artificial-intelligence/
"The term GAI refers to an artificial intelligence with human-level or better cognition. Basically, when people argue that today’s AI isn’t “real AI,” they’re confusing the terminology with GAI: machines that think.

Deep within the cavernous expanses of the US Air Force research laboratories a scientist named Paul Yaworsky toils away endlessly in a quest to make America’s aircraft intelligent beings of sheer destruction. Or, maybe he’s trying to bring the office coffee pot to life, we really don’t know his end-game.

What we do know comes from a pre-published research paper we found on ArXiv that was just begging for a hyperbolic headline. Maybe “US Air Force developing robots that can think and commit murder,” or something like that."

___
To be honest, I don't think this is something really new but this is a very creepy way of explaining on how the air force is developing robots.
Red:
What, OP-er? It's not clear to me whether you think the ideas in Yaworsky's paper are what be creepy or whether you think Tristan Greene's article is creepy.

I just read Yaworsky's paper to which Greene referred, and it doesn't strike me as creepy at all. The closest thing to creepy that I can find in the two is Neil Conway's photograph that accompanies Greene's article.

I've seen "models" like these before. They've been proposed since at least the 1970s. There's no reason to think they're correct, as far as I can tell...which doesn't stop people from proposing them, apparently.

Back
Top Bottom