• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The United States is the Greatest Country in the World. Why don't you think so?

Greatest Country in the World

• United States

Votes: 41 50.6%
  • United Kingdom

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Western European countries/ either France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Netherlands

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Japan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nordic countries / either Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • South Korea

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Canada

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • All hail China

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
As long as our Constitution stands we will be the greatest nation in the world......freedom over rules all our faults......we as a nation are still struggling with the aftermath of slavery but we will also overcome this

As long as our Constitution stands we will be the greatest nation in the world......freedom over rules all our faults......we as a nation are still struggling with the aftermath of slavery but we will also overcome this
Why not simply state that the US has made great contributions to human freedom and development and leave it at that? Why do we have to be number one?

Why not simply state that the US has made great contributions to human freedom and development and leave it at that? Why do we have to be number one?
we don't and that's a good point.....

the United States is a “Black Company” masquerading as a country.

Can you give us a single example of how Trump screwed up the our standing as the greatest country on earth.
Good luck.
For a start, his insults to women, blacks, Mexicans, refugees, Muslims, his support of war crimes and torture, his unwillingness to accept election results in 2016 and 2020 tarnished our reputation. People might ask how could the greatest country on earth elect such a crooked, lying fool? Then again, that people go around claiming their country is the greatest on earth sort of answers that question.

weakened Nato, just for starters, thus encouraging the dictators out there (hint: Putin)

...and just recently said that the USA needs to provide secure schools before giving aid to the Ukraine.

Imagine if Trump was still president, the aid would have gone to Putin.

we are not the greatest but we are the freest ......and for me I'll take freedom ......

we have to find a way to stop the slaughter of innocent people by madmen with firearms.......we have to find a way to improve our education system....the better educated the less likely we are to desire firearms....the better educated the more likely we are to improve our lives.....the better educated we are the more likely we are to understand each other.......

The United States is the Greatest Country in the World. Why don't you think so?​

California, Portland and Seattle.

If we could just get rid of that state and those two cities the USA would be the greatest country on earth

In which developed country are you less free than the USA?

See post 409 (I must learn to read to the end of the thread before posting!)

The United States is the Greatest Country in the World. Why don't you think so?​

If we could just get rid of that state and those two cities the USA would be the greatest country on earth
The CEC is strong with this one. :rolleyes:

None really, unless you equate freedom with the number of guns you can own.

Where I live, I'm free to send my kids to school or go to work, or shopping, and never once worry about me or mine being shot.

I don't think the USA is the greatest country on Earth because I don't measure the greatness of a country by how rich its richest citizens are-- I measure it by how free its least privileged citizens are to exercise their civil rights and participate in the free market. Compared to other industrialized democracies, the United States is well below average and has spent the last six years looking for rock bottom.

The only thing that's even special about us is our gun rights and there are a handful of other countries who have more gun rights than most of our States.

Where I live, I'm free to send my kids to school or go to work, or shopping, and never once worry about me or mine being shot.
My ex-wife is a Brit from Scotland. I spent a lot of time there. I also lived in Germany for 7 years and traveled through Europe. I really didn't think they were any less free than Americans, except, as you stated, Europeans are generally free from the worry of being involved in a mass shooting.

I don't think the USA is the greatest country on Earth because I don't measure the greatness of a country by how rich its richest citizens are-- I measure it by how free its least privileged citizens are to exercise their civil rights and participate in the free market. Compared to other industrialized democracies, the United States is well below average and has spent the last six years looking for rock bottom.

The only thing that's even special about us is our gun rights and there are a handful of other countries who have more gun rights than most of our States.
The thing about gun rights is I carry a gun everyday, because I feel the need to carry a gun every day, because other people carry guns every day. My wife does the same thing. That isn't gun rights, it's gun necessity.

I never felt the need to carry a gun in Europe. The only other place I've needed to carry a gun is the Middle East, when I was deployed there with the Army.

The thing about gun rights is I carry a gun everyday, because I feel the need to carry a gun every day, because other people carry guns every day. My wife does the same thing. That isn't gun rights, it's gun necessity.
I carry a gun (most) days because the Allfather said it was a really good idea. I've never had to pull it from its holster, except practicing at the range, and I'm glad to keep it that way.

But ask a Brit some time to explain how "policing by consent" is different from "violent" American policing, and if that doesn't make you feel like you need a gun... then you make me feel like I need a gun.

The right to keep and bear arms is a necessary precondition for a society to be considered a liberal democracy. It's far from sufficient, as we have so amply demonstrated since our country was first built on a rotten foundation, but no country that rejects this principle can possibly reach that status.
I never felt the need to carry a gun in Europe. The only other place I've needed to carry a gun is the Middle East, when I was deployed there with the Army.

I carry a gun (most) days because the Allfather said it was a really good idea. I've never had to pull it from its holster, except practicing at the range, and I'm glad to keep it that way.

But ask a Brit some time to explain how "policing by consent" is different from "violent" American policing, and if that doesn't make you feel like you need a gun... then you make me feel like I need a gun.

The right to keep and bear arms is a necessary precondition for a society to be considered a liberal democracy. It's far from sufficient, as we have so amply demonstrated since our country was first built on a rotten foundation, but no country that rejects this principle can possibly reach that status.
At the end of the day, if you feel the NEED to carry a gun, it isn't a freedom, it's a necessity. And a necessity isn't a freedom.

At the end of the day, if you feel the NEED to carry a gun, it isn't a freedom, it's a necessity. And a necessity isn't a freedom.
I feel the need regardless of whether or not I have the right. The freedom to do what I need to do may not be as good as the freedom from needing to do it-- but it's still a damn sight better than having the need but not the freedom.

I feel the need regardless of whether or not I have the right. The freedom to do what I need to do may not be as good as the freedom from needing to do it-- but it's still a damn sight better than having the need but not the freedom.
If it's a need, it's not a freedom.

The whole notion of any land claiming to be "the greatest country in the world' is absurd, borderline fascist.

But get rid of California? Any state the size of California will have a lot of good things. But take just the part of it where I live, the north, in an area roughly the size of North Carolina, we have one of the prettiest cities in the world, where so many people wish to live that property values make it difficult to do so. A city without the cultural riches of New York, but one that produced Bill Graham and the Fillmore auditorium, the Grateful Dead Jefferson Airplane, and which transformed the nation with aspects of the counter culture people now take for granted.

Look at the map and draw a line from Mendocino to Lake Tahoe south to Yosemite and west to Monterey. Though the beaches could be warmer, you have unparalleled scenery and coastline, the jewel that is Tahoe and the Sierra with great great skiing and fishing, the historic mining towns of the Mother Lode, the wine country which rivals that of France, the fascinating delta, the nations salad bowl in Salinas and the produce of the Central Valley, the creativity of Silicon Valley which has transformed America and the world, and two of the greatest universities in the world. From my modestly size home in Berkeley, I look out over the jewel that is the SF bay, the city that gives the bay its name, the coastal mountains of San Mateo County.

Top that, Texas.

The whole notion of any land claiming to be "the greatest country in the world' is absurd, borderline fascist.

But get rid of California? Any state the size of California will have a lot of good things. But take just the part of it where I live, the north, in an area roughly the size of North Carolina, we have one of the prettiest cities in the world, where so many people wish to live that property values make it difficult to do so. A city without the cultural riches of New York, but one that produced Bill Graham and the Fillmore auditorium, the Grateful Dead Jefferson Airplane, and which transformed the nation with aspects of the counter culture people now take for granted.

Look at the map and draw a line from Mendocino to Lake Tahoe south to Yosemite and west to Monterey. Though the beaches could be warmer, you have unparalleled scenery and coastline, the jewel that is Tahoe and the Sierra with great great skiing and fishing, the historic mining towns of the Mother Lode, the wine country which rivals that of France, the fascinating delta, the nations salad bowl in Salinas and the produce of the Central Valley, the creativity of Silicon Valley which has transformed America and the world, and two of the greatest universities in the world. From my modestly size home in Berkeley, I look out over the jewel that is the SF bay, the city that gives the bay its name, the coastal mountains of San Mateo County.

Top that, Texas.

Your post is exactly why California, Portland and Seattle got to go if this country can be considered the greatest. They are snobs and spoiled brats plain and simple

I can't comment on whether the USA is the best country or not being that I've never lived under the rule of another country. I've nothing by way of comparison except via biased hearsay.
I could lament on its negative aspects or give rousing patriotic speeches regarding its positives. My opinion lies somewhere in the middle; I suppose that's why I consider myself a moderate.

Your post is exactly why California, Portland and Seattle got to go if this country can be considered the greatest. They are snobs and spoiled brats plain and simple
Let me get this straight. When someone claims the US is the greatest country in the world, that's not being a snob. But when someone points out the attractive features of a third of Califirnia where he lives...

Back
Top Bottom