• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

the undeniable sexiness of the cold war

new coup for you

Upper West Side Jacobin
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Can you help but be in awe of the display of skill present in Cold War political maneuverer and machination?

Many people consider the Cold War a relatively bloodless conflict, only counting the losses in the Korean, Vietnamese and Afghani conflict.

But the reality is that millions more died in the Cold War, the pawns of geopolitical manipulation. Coups, military juntas and insurrection were all the weapons of Cold Warriors on both sides employed in places like Central Africa, Central America, and the Middle East.

It's incredible how well the game could be played by talented operators. Primitive people with absolutely nothing to gain from the advancement of EITHER sides position fought and died for those very powers.

How do you get natives that live in grass huts without electricity to die for the American Dream or the Great Proletariat Revoltion?

Yes The Cold War was a mighty one, and the most intresting in my mind.

However, in the USA it's not talked about much in History. Shame..it helped form the world as we know it today.

V.I. Lenin said:
Yes The Cold War was a mighty one, and the most intresting in my mind.

However, in the USA it's not talked about much in History. Shame..it helped form the world as we know it today.

I get to take a post Cold War world seminar in school...all about how the Cold War affected the world we live in today...I'm very excited. :mrgreen:

ah,

just don't get too wrapped up in wacko conspiracy about the cold war, oh and In my opinion,

the cold war hasn't ended yet ;)

128shot said:
ah,

just don't get too wrapped up in wacko conspiracy about the cold war, oh and In my opinion,

the cold war hasn't ended yet ;)

Uh-huh. Wacko conspiracies you say? Hey have you heard about those people who think the cold war is still going on? :mrgreen:

well, let me explain myself.

The cold war never really ended IMO, we just took another one up with China as soon as the USSR fell.

If this fails to tickle your brain, I think we're do for another one with China then.

that is all.

except china isn't really proposing that "global communist" ideal like USSR was; its not even an arms race at this point.

China is completely different.

1)US-USSR economic conflict was relatively minimal. The Chinese and American economies are completely inseperable.

2)China ceased to function as a Marxist state awhile ago. It's actually closer to fascism now.

i'm generally a leftist but i will admit i do think the left takes a decidedly recidivist view of the cold war. i adhere to the facts: the Soviet Union was a blood soaked monster, and completely waranted total American hostillity.

Back
Top Bottom