• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The "Ultimate Driving Machine" apparently flies fairly well too.

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Does it look to you as though had the driver not obtained quite as much elevation as he did, the car may have landed "on all fours" and just kept going, a la the movies?

(I know existentially that quite likely wouldn't have happened, even if the car landed on "all fours" -- the driver would have been shaken, and hopefully sensible, enough to stop the car -- but it looks like it could have.)​

In any case, watching that video, I am somewhat comforted that I drive BMWs and that my kids do too...not that I anticipate any of us launching our cars into flight. LOL

BMW driver walks away uninjured after sensational tunnel accident

That driver can count his blessings for an extraordinary amount of flying flipping BMW heap of Slovakian luck! After viewing the video, I opened up the link and looked at the wrecked BMW photo. Wow... that he walked away with nothing more than a few bruises! I can only imagine the psychological impact!

That driver can count his blessings for an extraordinary amount of flying flipping BMW heap of Slovakian luck! After viewing the video, I opened up the link and looked at the wrecked BMW photo. Wow... that he walked away with nothing more than a few bruises! I can only imagine the psychological impact!

Well, yeah....

Red:
TY for reading the linked-to content. So often I've observed that discussants here simply don't.

It might come as a surprise that almost all modern vehicles share similar "energy absorbing" areas that soak up the impact while leaving the passenger cabin safe.

Does it look to you as though had the driver not obtained quite as much elevation as he did, the car may have landed "on all fours" and just kept going, a la the movies?

(I know existentially that quite likely wouldn't have happened, even if the car landed on "all fours" -- the driver would have been shaken, and hopefully sensible, enough to stop the car -- but it looks like it could have.)​

In any case, watching that video, I am somewhat comforted that I drive BMWs and that my kids do too...not that I anticipate any of us launching our cars into flight. LOL

I bought my kids one year old BMW's when they each turned 16. The reason I did that? Because of a safety record that is demonstrated and shown in that video. I just bought my first one for me and Yes Ma'am this past October. I still have my pick-up truck, but Yes Ma'am drives the BMW now - for the same reason.

I bought my kids one year old BMW's when they each turned 16. The reason I did that? Because of a safety record that is demonstrated and shown in that video. I just bought my first one for me and Yes Ma'am this past October. I still have my pick-up truck, but Yes Ma'am drives the BMW now - for the same reason.

I did the same, but only because it was convenient to do so. I don't like shopping for anything, and serendipity and my having long had a relationship with the store owner combined to make BMWs the ones I bought them.

Another car store owner I know was a mildly peeved that I didn't give him the opportunity to earn my business -- I have four kids. I had to tell him the truth...that I bought the BMWs only because "Bob" -- we both know him -- was there when the topic came up and that I was largely indifferent (within reason, obviously) about what kind of cars I bought my kids so long as they're decent cars I could be fairly certain my kids would like. What is one to do? I've known them both since we were all kids and their fathers owned/ran the stores. I hate it when somewhat close acquaintances do stuff like that.

Geez was that a hit! He's lucky it was not a straight-on-and-stop hit, but rather that the tunnel roof didn't catch the engine block/chassis areas, but rather skimmed right above it (it appears).

I would hazard that the combination of more crumple-zone above the engine, along with angular momentum allowing some time and distance to dissipate the vehicle energy, helped him survive in the fashion he did.

From inside the article, if anyone's interested:

1545447615-slovak-police-BMW-crash.jpg

Last edited:
It might come as a surprise that almost all modern vehicles share similar "energy absorbing" areas that soak up the impact while leaving the passenger cabin safe.

The egalitarianism of the NHTSA's having promulgated the various safety regulations it has is duly noted and appreciated as a good thing and good news for drivers of many a modern vehicle.

The egalitarianism of the NHTSA's having promulgated the various safety regulations it has is duly noted and appreciated as a good thing and good news for drivers of many a modern vehicle.
That is an interesting video, alright. Thanks.

Geez was that a hit! He's lucky it was not a straight-on-and-stop hit, but rather that the tunnel roof didn't catch the engine block/chassis areas, but rather skimmed right above it (it appears).

I would hazard that the combination of more crumple-zone above the engine, along with angular momentum allowing some time and distance to dissipate the vehicle energy, helped him survive in the fashion he did.

From inside the article, if anyone's interested:

1545447615-slovak-police-BMW-crash.jpg
I'm guessing thats a write-off

Red:
TY for reading the linked-to content. So often I've observed that discussants here simply don't.

Xelor, you can't see my sly grin! Based on some of your in-depth posts and disclosures, i.e. education, business success, DC neighborhood, club membership, sailboat, buying BMWs for your children, you come off as one of DP's top 1%ers. I fess to an ulterior motive: seeking charity for DP!

A DP Bartender teased me about donating. It brought an introspective awareness to my appreciation of this forum.

May no one in your family ever fly in a BMW. I suggest none of you fly an ultralight either. In 1982, I took ultralight lessons... then sensibly declined to buy one.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Xelor, you can't see my sly grin! Based on some of your in-depth posts and disclosures, i.e. education, business success, DC neighborhood, club membership, sailboat, buying BMWs for your children, you come off as one of DP's top 1%ers. I fess to an ulterior motive: seeking charity for DP!

A DP Bartender teased me about donating. It brought an introspective awareness to my appreciation of this forum.

May no one in your family ever fly in a BMW. I suggest none of you fly an ultralight either. In 1982, I took ultralight lessons... then sensibly declined to buy one.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Red:
TY for reading my posts. I'm flattered too that you've remembered so much from them.

Blue:
I suspect we all are going to do our level best to eschew at the first of those activities. LOL I can't speak to what wild hairs may ingrow on my kids' backsides, but I assure you ultralight flight isn't on my "bucket list." LOL

Pink:
Thank you, kindly.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!

Crazier flying cars have been had, got to watch a mechanic try to show up to work drunk to come in and see and antique early 60's caddy rocking on a t-wall. Everyone had to watch the security footage to figure out how he got there, he hit the sand in the lot skidded then hit another car and flew onto the twall. The funny part was he was still trying to rev his engine hoping it would get him off it even though none of his tires were touching the ground. Whatever he was doing he had enough speed to go airborne and magically hit at just the right spot, however his luck did not extend that far when it came to keeping his job.

Oh fyi I hate bmw's, over priced and maintenace hogs that leak everywhere. If you you a 6 speed gen 2 zf in it, there is only a tiny handfull of mechanics in the country who will rebuild them, and I am one of them, and I am a complete a- hole on bmw;'s.

Back
Top Bottom