• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The two greatest human inventions

Toilet plunger and the George Foreman grill.

Let's go back to the good old days, when a ruptured appendix was the end.

Without pointy sticks and rocks we wouldn't be here today.
Without pointy sticks and rocks some people wouldn't be killed. Imagine if gunpowder/explosives didn't exist.

???????? oh yeah----let's go back to the hunter-gatherer life...........
Theres no going back. We were evicted from the Garden of Eden and we cant go back.
Listen. Humanity was never meant for civilization. That ought to be obvious to anyone who looks objectively at the world today. Civilization is just a word we tag onto a greatly diminished version of ourselves where we bicker, squabble and kill over the things civilization has bestowed on us. We were stronger, surer, more able before we were civilized. Civilization has weakened us and made us into lackeys, minions and useful idiots.
We were who we should be when we were hunting and gathering. Now we're all employees.
But hey, now we have toilet paper.

Says the guy who has never lived but in a civilization.
Nor have you. Point?
Do you mean that the only life you've ever lived is the only life that should be lived?

So, not written word?

Seems like without written word, nothing we know today would exist.
Written word is definitely way up there on the list, throwing in the printing press to combine with it makes it even more on point.

Theres no going back. We were evicted from the Garden of Eden and we cant go back.
Listen. Humanity was never meant for civilization. That ought to be obvious to anyone who looks objectively at the world today. Civilization is just a word we tag onto a greatly diminished version of ourselves where we bicker, squabble and kill over the things civilization has bestowed on us. We were stronger, surer, more able before we were civilized. Civilization has weakened us and made us into lackeys, minions and useful idiots.
We were who we should be when we were hunting and gathering. Now we're all employees.
Reading Professor Theodore Kaczynski's work?

Let's go back to the good old days, when a ruptured appendix was the end.
Nah. Lets stay in the good new days when our hours are spent in pursuits whose only point is making someone else richer then they are now.
Rich meaning controlling a large part of the surplus that civilization allows us to create.

I would think fire in ancient times and electricity in modern times.

He was really serious about havin' a good time.
Ah.
Serious and good time sound kind of mutually exclusive to me but I can see how others might get serious about it.

Ah.
Serious and good time sound kind of mutually exclusive to me but I can see how others might get serious about it.
See, this is because you live in a civilized nation.

Here, you better be serious about having a good time.

With respect.

Religious beliefs?
Every culture has a creation myth. The one in Genesis is one of the best.
Does that answer your question? I hope so because I wont be getting further into it here.

I agree with you. I would also go one step further. The spoken language, written language, and mathematics. Without those three things civilization as we have today for us hairless monkeys would not exist.
What makes us different from the monkeys is the apposable thumbs and a larger brain. I agree with mathematics. I think almost everything we do is based on mathematics including even things like our music.

Toilet paper and the ice maker

The printing press.
It led to mass literacy.
It made the thoughts of great thinkers available to the masses.
Some of the masses became great thinkers themselves.
It led to truth, as the elite could no longer lie to the masses with impunity.
It gave masses access to history, philosophy, mathematics, science, and poetry.
It drove the demand for libraries, schools, and more inventions.

The two greatest inventions were spoken language, followed closely by written language.

Solar panels are pretty cool, but nowhere close to language.

???? The Hunter-Gatherer life was no "Garden Of Eden", get real....
You have to speak for yourself when it comes to what civilization has done for us....
I got news for ya----EVERYONE in prehistoric times was "an employee" to nature......................you want to go back to being a near animal, be my guest

With respect:

I'm listening to a Bill McKibben speech and interview. He said that in the future humanity will realize that humans' two greatest inventions were:

1. Solar panels.

2. Noviolent civil disobedience.

I agree.
I was gonna say the sandwich.

Mankind was doomed the day we started farming.
Agriculture made two things possible- we could live crowded together in cities and we could create a surplus. All of our problems come from two questions- who will rule the city and who will control the surplus?
You've been reading Genesis again, haven't you?

IAGf.gif

Edit: Hah, I knew it!
Exactly. Thats what the Garden of Eden was, mankind as hunter-gatherers.

We were stronger, surer, more able before we were civilized. Civilization has weakened us and made us into lackeys, minions and useful idiots.
Fight Club too?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom