• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The truth of Global Warming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Miller

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Global warming really is just a myth. There is no proof that current warming is caused by green house gasses caused by humans. Ice core records from the past 650,000 years show that temperatures increases have proceeded, not resulted from, increases in CO2 by hundreds of years, suggesting that warming of the ocean is an important source in the rise in atmospheric CO2.

If the cause of warming is mostly natural then there is little we can do to stop it. We cannot control the inconsistent sun, the most likely origin of most climate variably.

Finally, no one can show that a warmer climate would produce negative impacts overall. The much–feared rise in sea levels does not seem to depend on short–term temperature changes, as the rate of sea–level increases has been steady since the last ice age, 10,000 years ago. In fact, many economists argue that the opposite is more likely—that warming produces a net benefit, that it increases incomes and standards of living. Why do we assume that the present climate is the optimum? Surely, the chance of this must be vanishingly small, and the economic history of past climate warmings bear this out.

I imagine that in the not–too–distant future all the hype will have died down, particularly if the climate should decide to cool—as it did during much of the past century; we should take note here that it has not warmed since 1998. Future generations will look back on the current madness and wonder what it was all about. They will have movies like An Inconvenient Truth and documentaries like The Great Global Warming Swindle to remind them.

Well, just about everything you wrote is wrong, but I'm just going to point out that The Great Global Warming Swindle has several straight-up, bald-faced lies in it. As in literally they fabricated data. (among other blatant deceptions)

Also, the sun's long-term trend has been flat for 50 years. So, if not the sun, can you perhaps tell me the physical mechanism that is causing the current "natural warming cycle?"

I ask because skeptics constantly tell me it's all part of a natural cycle, but they never have an adequate explanation of the cause.

Last edited:
Well, I'm afraid it's not. Untill you do hours of research do not claim you know everything about this.

You have no response to being shot down in flames other than "No it isn't"! Research sun activity levels for an hour or two, and get back to us with an answer to his simple question.

all I know is that this "global warming" scare has been going on for the last 5-10 years and we have yet to see any of the doom and gloom predictions they've made come to pass. sea level hasn't risen and flooded coastal cities, hurricane seasons haven't been ultra severe and killed thousands of people, the melting of polar ice is much less than previously reported/predicted, there are still glaciers on greenland and iceland, the list goes on and on. :shrug:

Well, I'm afraid it's not. Untill you do hours of research do not claim you know everything about this.

You're new here, so you get a pass about the research comment. Check the various threads on this subforum. You'll see me a lot, with plenty of scientific evidence backing up my statement. You'll have to forgive me for not rehashing it all YET AGAIN for every new person to register here. It gets tiring! I HAVE done "hours of research." Quite a few, but I don't claim to know everything, and I certainly don't claim to know more than people who have spent their whole lives researching the subject, which seems to be what you're doing.

Here's a good place to start.
http://www.debatepolitics.com/envir...-some-basic-empirical-evidence-favor-agw.html

Anyway, you still haven't answered the question: What's causing the warming trend we've seen over the last few decades?

all I know is that this "global warming" scare has been going on for the last 5-10 years and we have yet to see any of the doom and gloom predictions they've made come to pass. sea level hasn't risen and flooded coastal cities, hurricane seasons haven't been ultra severe and killed thousands of people, the melting of polar ice is much less than previously reported/predicted, there are still glaciers on greenland and iceland, the list goes on and on. :shrug:

maybe you haven't been paying attention:
Millions face glacier catastrophe | Science | The Observer

Global Warming Creating 2010 Weather Catastrophes - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

you might deny the why, but you can't deny it's happening.

oh you can deny that it is happening to the extent, degree and pace with which the GW alarmists predict.

why is it that a record heat wave is proof that global warming is happening, but a record cold wave is not proof that it isn't? hmmmmm?

oh you can deny that it is happening to the extent, degree and pace with which the GW alarmists predict.

why is it that a record heat wave is proof that global warming is happening, but a record cold wave is not proof that it isn't? hmmmmm?

was the record cold wave over a decade or 2.....hmmmm?

was the record cold wave over a decade or 2.....hmmmm?

was the record heat wave? no. stop being ridiculous. do you even read the crap you link before you throw it up on the board?

was the record heat wave? no. stop being ridiculous. do you even read the crap you link before you throw it up on the board?

if i read it, i don't say i didn't, unlike you. i also don't pretend to know averything about a subject, and i also admit when i'm wrong. the fact is, we've had record warm temps for quite a fews years now, not sustained record colds.

if i read it, i don't say i didn't, unlike you. i also don't pretend to know averything about a subject, and i also admit when i'm wrong. the fact is, we've had record warm temps for quite a fews years now, not sustained record colds.

the fact is, that in conjunction with record warm temps, we have also had record cold temps. there has been no sustained record heat wave. that's why all the global warming people changed their tune to "global climate change". because the data didn't support the global warming cry.

Deuce thrives on researching Global Warming. The only problem is, he only researches one side of the arguement and dismisses all the rest as "lies"

the fact is, that in conjunction with record warm temps, we have also had record cold temps. there has been no sustained record heat wave. that's why all the global warming people changed their tune to "global climate change". because the data didn't support the global warming cry.

no, that's not a fact. earth temperatures have been steadily rising. where do you get YOUR data? below from nasa:

Data.GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis: Analysis Graphs and Plots

I remember a news caster pointing one direction saying lack of snow on the ski slopes that year was a sign of global warming. The same person, shortly after was saying a record snow fall in another place was just weather and you couldn't use that to deny global warming.

Moderator's Warning:
Oh goodie, yet another "global warming cooling climate change thread!!! Seriously, cease with the personal attacks. Stick to the topic and stop attacking each other and calling each other liars.

I remember a news caster pointing one direction saying lack of snow on the ski slopes that year was a sign of global warming. The same person, shortly after was saying a record snow fall in another place was just weather and you couldn't use that to deny global warming.

ding, ding, ding...and we have a winner.

spot on. anything that shows warming is conclusive proof. anything that doesn't is dismissed as biased, faulty, irrelevent or...."just weather"

According to a lot of geological data, the Earth is overdue for another ice age. I can't say I know the truth about global warming, or global climate change. But the answer is not to stick our fingers in our ears and hum loudly. The real problem is the polarization of the issue. Crazy environmental activists on one side, and corporate profit-mongering on the other. Neither side is totally right, and if it comes down to it, profit MUST be sacrificed to abate whatever danger there is.

The Republican leaders are too busy sucking on the teat of business to care whether or not our grandchildren have clean air, clean water, or any kind of safe environment. Environmental hysterics, on the other side, are based on unreasonable expectations and inane fears. Our species really is more important than other species. It's survival of the fittest and we are fit in an unprecedented way.

Extremism will not solve this problem. Careful, unbiased research will. And accepting necessary sacrifices to possibly save the human race from extinction.

We’ve all seen the arguments that support Man-Made Global Warming. What we rarely see is the science behind climate change. Here is that science.

The indisputable fact is that the Earth’s climate has been changing drastically as far back as science can determine. This graph from Scotese, show us the relationship of the average global temperature to geological time periods.

3111081591_f10a5ca215_z.jpg

What causes these variations? According to many scientists, the Earth’s orbit is the biggest factor. This theory hinges on the fact that the Earth travels around the sun in a slightly elliptical orbit that varies over a period of time. According to the Milankovitch theory, the variations in the elliptical orbit change the intensity of the Sun’s rays on the Earth’s atmosphere. The Earth’s orbit cycles from a near perfect circular orbit to the maximum elliptical orbit over a period of about 100,000 years.

eccentricity.jpg

An additional factor may be the increased seismic and volcanic activity that is associated with the elliptical orbit. The theory here is that as the Earth’s orbit changes, forces on the Earth change as well. These changes in force actually change the shape of the Earth slightly stressing fault lines and creating movement that allows for earth quakes and eruptions.

The location of the eruptions determines how they affect the atmosphere. Eruptions that occur above water release sulfur gasses that combine with water vapor and reduce the amount of the suns radiation that enters the atmosphere. The sulfur dioxide dissipates rather quickly and is nearly completely removed from the atmosphere within three years.

However, eruptions that occur below water, specifically deep in the ocean, serve to warm the ocean floor. The ocean floor is home to, among many other things, methane hydrate. Methane hydrate is the solid form of methane gas. When the floor of the ocean is warmed, methane hydrate “thaws” and becomes a gas. The methane gas quickly rises to the atmosphere where it helps to trap radiation at a rate that is ten to twenty one times more effective than carbon dioxide. It takes up to twelve years for methane to dissipate from the atmosphere. Methane and the Climate

When you place all of this information together, we see a correlating pattern that links the Earth’s orbit with the average global temperature.

Image5.gif

This graph shows us the average global temperature over the last 400,000 years. Notice that today is a near maximum (but still below) along with 125,000, 235,000, 320,000 and 405,000 years ago. This is a pattern that coincides with the elliptical orbit of the Earth. In all likelihood, the modern day increase of the average global temperature is primarily caused by natural patterns.

Oh, and if you want to answer a really hard question...I'd like to see you try. Modern internal combustion engines did not become widely used until the mid to early 1900's. If the primary cuase of global warming is carbon dioxide and the proof is that the glaciers and ice caps are melting...why is it that the glaciers and ice caps have been melting since the 1700's? Are SUVs so powerful in their emissions that they sent CO2 back in time to destroy the planet?

According to a lot of geological data, the Earth is overdue for another ice age. I can't say I know the truth about global warming, or global climate change. But the answer is not to stick our fingers in our ears and hum loudly. The real problem is the polarization of the issue. Crazy environmental activists on one side, and corporate profit-mongering on the other. Neither side is totally right, and if it comes down to it, profit MUST be sacrificed to abate whatever danger there is.

The Republican leaders are too busy sucking on the teat of business to care whether or not our grandchildren have clean air, clean water, or any kind of safe environment. Environmental hysterics, on the other side, are based on unreasonable expectations and inane fears. Our species really is more important than other species. It's survival of the fittest and we are fit in an unprecedented way.

Extremism will not solve this problem. Careful, unbiased research will. And accepting necessary sacrifices to possibly save the human race from extinction.

That is absolutely wrong. This graph shows that we are (and should be) at the peak of the greenhouse age.

ice-ages-300x225.gif

The planet's orbit does not vary over a 100,000 year period. There is no substantive difference in temperature based on the Earth's orbit from year to year. Temperature on this planet varies based on weather patterns, primarily, and concentrations of gasses in the atmosphere. I also like how you attacked the first sentence of my post and ignored the rest of it, which was the important parts.

Even if you have a study that shows this bizarre theory, the overwhelming majority of research does not square with this conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom