• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The truth about US healthcare vs Canadas - Insider revelations!

Actually if we go to a Canadian government single payer.. most people on Medicaid in the US.. will lose many of the benefits that they have..
With Canadian Government single payer. They would not have coverage for outpatient medications... for outpatient physical therapy and for home health and durable medical goods.
All things that medicaid in this country pays for... and Canadian government single payer does not cover.

I don't see why anyone has to lose benefits if we do it right. Step one is voting as many Republicans out as possible. They are the first major obstacle to any sort of progress.

Is it safe to say that purchasing a small "gap insurance policy" to cover things overlooked by CN national healthcare doesn't break the pocketbook of most Canadians?
We have countless gap policies to make up for Medicare shortfalls, and they are not only cheap but some companies offer Medicare "plans" that INCLUDE a built in gap policy.
Supplemental policies for Medicare shortfalls are definitely not cheap.
And companies don;t offer medicare plans.
They offer what are Medicare advantage plans.. which REPLACE medicare with a private insurance. Which is often cheaper than having medicare and a supplement insurance..

But generally covers much less than Medicare covers.. especially things like rehabilitation, and doctors visits etc.. because they tend to have extremely high copays.
For example.. a person with Medicare who comes into my office who has an examination. the basic medicare allowable is 54.00.
without a supplement.. the patient is responsible for 20% or about 10 bucks.
However.. if they had a Medicare Advantage plan... their copay is 30 to 50 dollars a visit.
Which means that having the medicare advantage plan actually costs them 3 to 5 times more than having straight Medicare part B.

I don't see why anyone has to lose benefits if we do it right. Step one is voting as many Republicans out as possible. They are the first major obstacle to any sort of progress.
Sure... but there is the point. You cannot expect the savings etc... of a Canadian plan... or other single payer plan... by then offering more benefits than these these single payer plans do.
As a republican.. I find it atrocious that my party has not come up with either an addition to obamacare or an alternative. Basically you are right.. they are an obstacle to any sort of progress.
However, A lesson needs to be learned by democrats as well. You cannot make promises that you cannot keep.
You cannot claim your are going to get the savings of a single payer plan like Canada... without doing the things that Canada has done.
You cannot make progress.. if you really don;t understand HOW other countries get their "Savings"... and how their healthcare really works.
All you will create is a giant cluster.
Frankly Biden is the best shot. He seems to get that Medicare for all is a terrible idea and that working within the ACA and adding to it.. are much more likely to get the progress that americans will accept.

Supplemental policies for Medicare shortfalls are definitely not cheap.

Thanks for straightening me out on the deets but define "not cheap" with regard to supplemental policies that cover shortfalls.
What is "not cheap"?

Sure... but there is the point. You cannot expect the savings etc... of a Canadian plan... or other single payer plan... by then offering more benefits than these these single payer plans do.
As a republican.. I find it atrocious that my party has not come up with either an addition to obamacare or an alternative. Basically you are right.. they are an obstacle to any sort of progress.
However, A lesson needs to be learned by democrats as well. You cannot make promises that you cannot keep.
You cannot claim your are going to get the savings of a single payer plan like Canada... without doing the things that Canada has done.
You cannot make progress.. if you really don;t understand HOW other countries get their "Savings"... and how their healthcare really works.
Frankly Biden is the best shot. He seems to get that Medicare for all is a terrible idea and that working within the ACA and adding to it.. are much more likely to get the progress that americans will accept.

Except that he may never get the chance if SCOTUS rules it unconstitutional.

Biden is a way to vote Tweety out, and that's his main feature. As for single payer, it will probably happen eventually out of necessity when it should have happened seventy years ago.

If Canada would take our over 20,000,000 illegal immigrants for THEIR healthcare, the Canadian system might work in the USA.

Thanks for straightening me out on the deets but define "not cheap" with regard to supplemental policies that cover shortfalls.
What is "not cheap"?
Medicare supplemental insurance can cost as high as 421 a month to 200 or so a month depending on the level of coverage.

Except that he may never get the chance if SCOTUS rules it unconstitutional.
I find it difficult to believe that the Scotus will rule it unconstitutional. The absolute crap storm that will result with the economy etc.. will be catastrophic. Not to mention that crap storm that will happen with Medicare etc. Obamacare encompasses so much more than "obamacare plans"...which isn;t even correct since there are no actual "obamacare plans"...they are private insurance plans.

but if the ACA goes down... the most hurt are going to be the red states that depend the most on obamacare. There is the irony and the absolute stupidity of the right wing.

Medicare supplemental insurance can cost as high as 421 a month to 200 or so a month depending on the level of coverage.

Two to four hundred a month.
Sorry, but while it is a wee bit higher than I'd expect, it sounds like a bargain compared to what some people are paying.
Two hundred a month is a payment on a 2009 used car.

And then there's this, of course:

I find it difficult to believe that the Scotus will rule it unconstitutional. The absolute crap storm that will result with the economy etc.. will be catastrophic. Not to mention that crap storm that will happen with Medicare etc. Obamacare encompasses so much more than "obamacare plans"...which isn;t even correct since there are no actual "obamacare plans"...they are private insurance plans.

but if the ACA goes down... the most hurt are going to be the red states that depend the most on obamacare. There is the irony and the absolute stupidity of the right wing.

You sound like you just cannot bring yourself to believe it could happen here.
The President has already said that's his intention, and he now has the absolute impassable super hardcore right wing majority to do it.

“If I’m victorious on November 3rd, I plan to forgive these taxes and make permanent cuts to the payroll tax," Trump said, per the Washington Post. “I’m going to make them all permanent.”
"In other words, I'll extend it beyond the end of the year, and terminate the tax," he added. He reiterated his plan at a press conference on Monday.

That tax is precisely what funds Social Security. Lose that tax and Social Security becomes insolvent in a matter of maybe five years. Same goes for plans to defund Medicare and Medicaid. Same goes for the Post Office, same goes for our public schools, same goes for the VA.

In fact, to that end, he is installing a fundamentalist who subscribes to the notion that The Bible "is the real constitution" of all nations on Earth, a honest to goodness theocracy advocate.

Don't worry, "God will provide healthcare to the people who are not of the wicked."

The Great Transfer of Wealth From the Wicked to the Righteous has already begun in earnest, with corporations now the biggest recipient of coronavirus stimulus payments.

A lot of people "find it difficult to believe" that Donald Trump intends to do what he intends to do.
But the people in positions of power who back Trump the most have stated that was their intention, long before they even found Donald Trump to be a suitable candidate.

Sorry, but while it is a wee bit higher than I'd expect, it sounds like a bargain compared to what some people are paying.

And then there's this, of course:

You sound like you just cannot bring yourself to believe it could happen here.
The President has already said that's his intention, and he now has the absolute impassable super hardcore right wing majority to do it.

“If I’m victorious on November 3rd, I plan to forgive these taxes and make permanent cuts to the payroll tax," Trump said, per the Washington Post. “I’m going to make them all permanent.”
"In other words, I'll extend it beyond the end of the year, and terminate the tax," he added. He reiterated his plan at a press conference on Monday.

That tax is precisely what funds Social Security. Lose that tax and Social Security becomes insolvent in a matter of maybe five years. Same goes for plans to defund Medicare and Medicaid. Same goes for the Post Office, same goes for our public schools, same goes for the VA.

In fact, to that end, he is installing a fundamentalist who subscribes to the notion that The Bible "is the real constitution" of all nations on Earth, a honest to goodness theocracy advocate.

Don't worry, "God will provide healthcare to the people who are not of the wicked."

The Great Transfer of Wealth From the Wicked to the Righteous has already begun in earnest, with corporations now the biggest recipient of coronavirus stimulus payments.

A lot of people "find it difficult to believe" that Donald Trump intends to do what he intends to do.
But the people in positions of power who back Trump the most have stated that was their intention, long before they even found Donald Trump to be a suitable candidate.

Well.. you forget that its people that are generally on fixed incomes. and thats in addition to what Medicare part B costs. Most people have to pay for Medicare part B as well.
The 200.. which is the low end for most people.. is not the only cost because medicare part B costs about another 150.00

ou sound like you just cannot bring yourself to believe it could happen here.

Could it happen? Sure. The question is will it happen and I don;t think the justices are immune to understanding the absolute crapstorm that will ensue in getting rid of a law that has been giving 20 million people healthcare insurance, and has huge effects on how medicare and medicaid have been paying for the last 20 years. It would bring the state of medicare and medicaid payment basically back to 2003 and 1999. In fact.. I don;t know what they would have even been able to undo since the individual mandate is already moot.
In 2014.. the justices did undo the requirement of states to take the expansion of medicaid or lose all funds.
So I don;t really know what the justices will actually have a problem with.
hat tax is precisely what funds Social Security. Lose that tax and Social Security becomes insolvent in a matter of maybe five years. Same goes for plans to defund Medicare and Medicaid. Same goes for the Post Office, same goes for our public schools, same goes for the VA.
No offense man but you have gone off in the weeds here. I didn;t say anything about social security or medicaid or the VA. Trump is an idiot for sure.

The question is whether this supreme court nominee is that much of an idiot that she is willing to send the healthcare industry back to 1999 and kill the economy.

Back
Top Bottom