• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Truth About GM's 14,000 Lost Jobs

I don't remember specifically what article it was since I have read a lot of articles on this, but here's one: General Motors To Cut 25 Percent Executives | GM Authority

Now stop trying to mind read. You are terrible at it.

That is a blog and not a news article. You need to find a news article where the 8000 white collar jobs are referred to as "executive jobs". You won't, because everyone knows that white collar does not mean "all executive jobs".

Keep failing.

That is a blog and not a news article. You need to find a news article where the 8000 white collar jobs are referred to as "executive jobs". You won't, because everyone knows that white collar does not mean "all executive jobs".

Keep failing.

Okay, here's another: GM Slashes Jobs, Cuts Production, and Cancels Some Car Models | Fortune

The company also plans to cut its total executives by 25% to streamline decision making.

Many of these articles are also talking about GM offering buyouts, which is a sign that these are higher level jobs.

I can't answer for what the lefties are for. You have to ask them.

You probably should read real news sources, as well as the public statements from GM. They are not referred to as "executive jobs". You can even ask your favorite source Fox News:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/gm-cuts-jobs-in-response-to-present-costs-future-innovation

The reduction includes about 8,000 white-collar employees, or 15 percent of GM's North American white-collar workforce. Some will take buyouts while others will be laid off.

I asked the right person about lefties.

You parrot everything they say, this post proves that, so even if you don't call yourself that, you are.

I haven't seen a Fox News broadcast in about 2 years now.

Do you have any other perceived insults you would like to throw at me?

Bingo!

I wouldn't be surprised if the middle class pays more in taxes this year, once the tariffs are added in. But Trump and his buddies are going to make out like bandits, Trump alone saving up to 15m in taxes.

I've been saying since the first tariff was instituted, that Trump needs to get it down to deal with China and the rest of the trading partners.
The global economic slowdown isn't going to remain off shore forever.

I've been saying since the first tariff was instituted, that Trump needs to get it down to deal with China and the rest of the trading partners.
The global economic slowdown isn't going to remain off shore forever.

To you buy into the globalism every other swamp rat in Washington believes in?

To you buy into the globalism every other swamp rat in Washington believes in?
No, I don't. But it's pretty clear that tariffs increase prices to the US consumer, with benefits that are at best unclear to the US.

Glad to see the new NAFTA deal with Canada is going to be signed, wanting to know more on the details of how this is better for the US and consumers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I asked the right person about lefties.

You parrot everything they say, this post proves that, so even if you don't call yourself that, you are.

I haven't seen a Fox News broadcast in about 2 years now.

Do you have any other perceived insults you would like to throw at me?

You're confusing me with your hero Donald Trump and his family. Unlike them, I never voted for any Democrats. I don't parrot anyone. That's why I'm too smart to be a Trump devotee.

So where is the link to the news sources that call the 8000 white collar jobs "executive jobs"?

CNN and other MSM is spreading a lot of fake news about GM's 14,000 lost jobs, and many people are falling for it. I suppose many people want any excuse to attack President Trump, but allow me to go through the facts:
What, precisely, are the "fake news" assertions you claim the MSM have made regarding the GM cutbacks (plant closings and job losses)?
  • Please be specific in citing statements any given outlet has, in its reporting (not what its commentators/editorialists may have said) and news analysis, said that strikes you as untrue.

1) The 14,000 lost jobs are not just in the USA, they are in all of North America. Of those jobs, 8,000 are white collar jobs (not the jobs Trump concentrated on bringing back). Of the blue collar jobs lost, only 3,300 are from the US while 2,600 are from Canada.

Source

2) Seasonally, December through February are the worst months for selling vehicles, so job losses are to be expected around this time.

Source

3) Manufacturing job growth, which CNN and others have tried to paint as doing badly through this GM job loss story, hit record highs under President Trump.

Source

4) The job losses are actually more of a restructuring. It makes sense to restructure at the end of the year, and GM is looking to focus more on electric and autonomous vehicles, which can make them more money than gasoline sedans (which operate at a loss). In fact, of the US job losses, some of the workers will be able to find jobs at SUV and truck plants, which are ramping up production.

Source

Don't believe the fake news you hear on CNN....
You seem disposed to paint a rosier picture than others. I'm fine with considering your position provided you can back it up with quantitative analysis that shows it is preponderantly a legitimate viewpoint to have.

If one is going to put lipstick on a pig, one needs a puissant case that shows the pig is materially less porcine as a result of the artifice, as it were.

y9g66tg9

Tan:
Please quantify credibly the projected total projected economic impact -- US, State, County and Municipal -- of the three US GM plant shutterings.
  • Some metrics to get you started:
  • I would love to see you march into either Youngtown or Lordstown and try "lipsticking the pig" that is the plant closings.
You can do the analysis yourself or proffer another's credible analysis. Here's a document you can use as somewhat of a template:

Red:
Please provide specific statements CNN and others have made to that effect.

Blue:

Pink:
How many? What share of them? Where exactly are these other plants relative to where the closing ones are?

What makes you think "ramping up" at a few existing SUV plants is going to produce to generate thousands of jobs?

ybj9vwmv

Perhaps the linearity of an automobile assembly line has elided your notice.

Okay, here's another: GM Slashes Jobs, Cuts Production, and Cancels Some Car Models | Fortune

Many of these articles are also talking about GM offering buyouts, which is a sign that these are higher level jobs.

What does that have to do with you not knowing what a white collar job is? You think "white collar" means "person making so much money in a year that he can lose his job and never worry again".

Yes, they are letting white collar employees go. 8000 of them. Of them, some are executives. Everyone already knew that. They probably have a few hundred people worldwide that are considered executives, and they are going to lay off 25% of them.

Are you seriously this clueless about the business world? What on Earth do you do for a living that you don't understand words like "white collar" and "executive"?

What does that have to do with you not knowing what a white collar job is? You think "white collar" means "person making so much money in a year that he can lose his job and never worry again".

Yes, they are letting white collar employees go. 8000 of them. Of them, some are executives. Everyone already knew that. They probably have a few hundred people worldwide that are considered executives, and they are going to lay off 25% of them.

Are you seriously this clueless about the business world? What on Earth do you do for a living that you don't understand words like "white collar" and "executive"?

You continue to misrepresent me, but you have changed your argument quite a bit. Remember when you asked me to show you any media outlet that said the job losses included executives? Remember when you told me I wouldn't be able to? And then I did. And now you are saying everybody knew executives were part of the cuts. Only, you didn't because you denied that fact. Nice try. No amount of misrepresenting me will make you correct. We're done here.

CNN and other MSM is spreading a lot of fake news about GM's 14,000 lost jobs, and many people are falling for it. I suppose many people want any excuse to attack President Trump, but allow me to go through the facts:

1) The 14,000 lost jobs are not just in the USA, they are in all of North America. Of those jobs, 8,000 are white collar jobs (not the jobs Trump concentrated on bringing back). Of the blue collar jobs lost, only 3,300 are from the US while 2,600 are from Canada.

Source

2) Seasonally, December through February are the worst months for selling vehicles, so job losses are to be expected around this time.

Source

3) Manufacturing job growth, which CNN and others have tried to paint as doing badly through this GM job loss story, hit record highs under President Trump.

Source

4) The job losses are actually more of a restructuring. It makes sense to restructure at the end of the year, and GM is looking to focus more on electric and autonomous vehicles, which can make them more money than gasoline sedans (which operate at a loss). In fact, of the US job losses, some of the workers will be able to find jobs at SUV and truck plants, which are ramping up production.

Source

Don't believe the fake news you hear on CNN. They are a propaganda outlet at this point.

Facts are never allowed to get in the way of primeval Trump bashing.

No, I don't. But it's pretty clear that tariffs increase prices to the US consumer, with benefits that are at best unclear to the US.

Glad to see the new NAFTA deal with Canada is going to be signed, wanting to know more on the details of how this is better for the US and consumers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

What disadvantages do you see in the rest of the world having tariffs on our goods? Is it a zero sum game as Trump believes which is tariffs against American goods VS. tariffs against goods coming into America?

What disadvantages do you see in the rest of the world having tariffs on our goods? Is it a zero sum game as Trump believes which is tariffs against American goods VS. tariffs against goods coming into America?

I was thinking more of what advantages, or re-leveling of the playing field, the new NAFTA agreement would represent to the US, and what counter-balances for the trading partners.

From my understanding, the Senate needs to authorize this trading agreement, don't they? Well, good that the GOP has the majority there, because I think the Dems would vote it down to spite Trump, rather than on its merits.

I was thinking more of what advantages, or re-leveling of the playing field, the new NAFTA agreement would represent to the US, and what counter-balances for the trading partners.

From my understanding, the Senate needs to authorize this trading agreement, don't they? Well, good that the GOP has the majority there, because I think the Dems would vote it down to spite Trump, rather than on its merits.

Friend, there are a lot of globalist GOPs who would ratify any pact the US could achieve with another country.

Friend, there are a lot of globalist GOPs who would ratify any pact the US could achieve with another country.

I'm sure there are some. I'm just wondering what the impact of the deal is likely to be.

• Raising the North American content requirement in autos traded tariff-free under the deal to 75 percent, from 62.5 percent, and requiring that 40 percent of a vehicle be made at high wages
  • Adding a clause for regular review of the deal, with the first coming after six years
  • Overhauling dispute panels, largely killing investor-state panels but preserving dispute settlement panels
  • Expanding U.S. dairy farmers’ access to Canada’s protected market
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...acement-signed-yet-hurdles-remain-in-congress

These are only the briefest of highlights, which seem reasonable, but we'll have to see what more of the details reveal.

You continue to misrepresent me, but you have changed your argument quite a bit. Remember when you asked me to show you any media outlet that said the job losses included executives? Remember when you told me I wouldn't be able to? And then I did. And now you are saying everybody knew executives were part of the cuts. Only, you didn't because you denied that fact. Nice try. No amount of misrepresenting me will make you correct. We're done here.

No. I don't remember when I asked you to show "any media outlet that said job losses "included" executives". That's because I never asked you that.

Everyone - even workers at Burger King - know what white collar jobs are. Everyone except you, apparently. Some of them are executive level jobs. Most are not.

You need to stop lying. The other poster said he read a "media report" that said the white collar jobs were executive jobs. I called him out on that. Everyone with a working brain knows that the 8000 white collar jobs are NOT all executive jobs.

You and the poster who liked your dumb post apparently don't know that.

No. I don't remember when I asked you to show "any media outlet that said job losses "included" executives". That's because I never asked you that.

Everyone - even workers at Burger King - know what white collar jobs are. Everyone except you, apparently. Some of them are executive level jobs. Most are not.

You need to stop lying. The other poster said he read a "media report" that said the white collar jobs were executive jobs. I called him out on that. Everyone with a working brain knows that the 8000 white collar jobs are NOT all executive jobs.

You and the poster who liked your dumb post apparently don't know that.

The only one lying here is you, and while you may convince yourself that you are fooling others, they will see right through your lies when I post the quotes here:

You need to find a news article where the 8000 white collar jobs are referred to as "executive jobs".

And:

Post the articles that call the white collar jobs "executive jobs".

Mason666 also wrote this to you:

The article I read a couple of days ago referred to the 8000 jobs as executives and not white collar jobs.

You responded with:

They are not referred to as "executive jobs".

You can lie confidently and project your own lying onto me, but that is all dependent on the other person not going through the work of quoting you. It's pretty easy to see through your disgusting antics now.

The only one lying here is you, and while you may convince yourself that you are fooling others, they will see right through your lies when I post the quotes here:

And:

Mason666 also wrote this to you:

You responded with:

You can lie confidently and project your own lying onto me, but that is all dependent on the other person not going through the work of quoting you. It's pretty easy to see through your disgusting antics now.

Mason's post is right there. You even copied it. He said the article he read referred to the 8000 jobs as "executives" and "not white collar jobs". That's what I just said he said. Either you have reading comprehension issues, or you're making dishonest posts because you can't help yourself. No article ever called the 8000 jobs "executive" instead of "white collar". Pay attention.

You didn't even know what a white collar job is. You are the same person who said someone with a white collar job is set for life. Your opinion is less valuable than that of my garbage man.

Mason's post is right there. You even copied it. He said the article he read referred to the 8000 jobs as "executives" and "not white collar jobs". That's what I just said he said. Either you have reading comprehension issues, or you're making dishonest posts because you can't help yourself. No article ever called the 8000 jobs "executive" instead of "white collar". Pay attention.

You didn't even know what a white collar job is. You are the same person who said someone with a white collar job is set for life. Your opinion is less valuable than that of my garbage man.

And you objected to me calling the 8,000 jobs executive jobs, because you claimed they were white collar jobs, not to be confused with executive jobs. Nice try, but your dirty lying tactics won't win here. The other jobs outside of those 8,000 were the blue collar jobs.

And you objected to me calling the 8,000 jobs executive jobs, because you claimed they were white collar jobs, not to be confused with executive jobs. Nice try, but your dirty lying tactics won't win here. The other jobs outside of those 8,000 were the blue collar jobs.

You lost. You even confirmed what I said about Mason. Next time learn and read and you won't humiliate yourself.

I hope one day you learn what a white collar job actually is. It isn't the fry cook at Burger King. And your class envy of some payroll clerk is pathetic.

Back
Top Bottom