• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Truth About GM's 14,000 Lost Jobs

Then why is Trump peeing in his pants over GM simply restructuring to concentrate on trucks, suv, fully electric, and autonomous vehicles? Mary Barra has been on a 5 year crusade to restructure GM selling off operations and idling operations all over the world. Canada's Trudeau is also peeing in his pants. You make it seem like just a shell game. The terminology used is 14,000 jobs in North America, most in the US. A job is a job white color or blue collar. Yes, some of those jobs might be saved but just which ones and where is in negotiation. Barra's aim is to make GM a leaner more profitable company positioned for the future. In October GM offered voluntary buyouts to 18,000 salaried workers in North America who have 12 years or more experience. Sure seems to me that they want to reduce their work force. I have no comment about CNN except to say the conversation between the right and left over news sources is a 0 sum game.

GM is doing what it has been doing for decades.....failing to get the job done and shrinking.

Also treating labor poorly.....that has been pretty standard.

Then why is Trump peeing in his pants over GM simply restructuring to concentrate on trucks, suv, fully electric, and autonomous vehicles? Mary Barra has been on a 5 year crusade to restructure GM selling off operations and idling operations all over the world. Canada's Trudeau is also peeing in his pants. You make it seem like just a shell game. The terminology used is 14,000 jobs in North America, most in the US. A job is a job white color or blue collar. Yes, some of those jobs might be saved but just which ones and where is in negotiation. Barra's aim is to make GM a leaner more profitable company positioned for the future. In October GM offered voluntary buyouts to 18,000 salaried workers in North America who have 12 years or more experience. Sure seems to me that they want to reduce their work force. I have no comment about CNN except to say the conversation between the right and left over news sources is a 0 sum game.
Tell that you the rest of your LW teammates that are screaming like hell about Trump.

Be that as it may, people are losing their jobs, right before Christmas at that.

Perhaps people...and the media...should be talking to and about GM for this.

Tell that you the rest of your LW teammates that are screaming like hell about Trump.

I think you are saying " tell that to the rest of your teammates" I get the gist but not sure what LW means. Yeah I and my teammates, at least most of them don't like Trump attacking an American company that has made itself profitable. Even if they had to do it by restructuring. GM has invested heavily in start ups to gain new technology. They are hoping their bet on autonomous vehicles pays off while concentrating on profitable products and casting off unprofitable products and manufacturing divisions in far flung countries.

I think you are saying " tell that to the rest of your teammates" I get the gist but not sure what LW means. Yeah I and my teammates, at least most of them don't like Trump attacking an American company that has made itself profitable. Even if they had to do it by restructuring. GM has invested heavily in start ups to gain new technology. They are hoping their bet on autonomous vehicles pays off while concentrating on profitable products and casting off unprofitable products and manufacturing divisions in far flung countries.
LW = Left Wing, aka liberals/progressives.

I'm actually hear more about Trump's "promises" to bring jobs back and save jobs, rather than his lambasting GM today.

LW = Left Wing, aka liberals/progressives.

I'm actually hear more about Trump's "promises" to bring jobs back and save jobs, rather than his lambasting GM today.

Because he broke his promise, a promise everyone knew (except his cult following) he couldn't keep.. He lied about it for political gain and this is nothing new Trump lies constantly for political gain.

The Cult45 have a very delusional perspective of their dear leader...

Because he broke his promise, a promise everyone knew (except his cult following) he couldn't keep.. He lied about it for political gain and this is nothing new Trump lies constantly for political gain.

The Cult45 have a very delusional perspective of their dear leader...
Nah, MOST of us understand much of what politicians say won't come to pass. It seems that the LW total his comments more to heart than those of us who chose him over Hilary.

I appreciate your comment as a very reasonable comment. My take is that Trump is playing the psychological game. He wants Trump supporters to know that he's fighting for them. I do think you're exaggerating a bit on Trump's reaction. He's not happy about the job loss report, but he's far from freaking out.

I'm not interested in the lost Canadian jobs, nor am I that broken up about white collar jobs. They make enough money that they should be set for life if they planned correctly. I care most about the US blue collar workers, which are the backbone of our economy. And in a country of almost 330M people, I don't know any people who have been fired. Do you know a single person that has been fired?

Christonagoddamn cracker. Do you have any clue at all what a "white collar" job is by definition? It is an office worker. Someone performing administrative work and not manual labor. Do you have any idea who they are in GM? They are accounts payable clerks and administrative assistants and customer service people and so on. You think some 32 year old secretary making $40,000 a year has made enough ****ing money to be "set for life" at this stage?

Lordstown, one of the plants closing, makes the Chevy Cruise which isnt selling well and is believed to soon be discontinued. Essentially, it is a mile long plant that makes cars no one wants to buy. Not sure how that is Trumps fault.

Soooo why is 'businessman' tRump denouncing GM for closing an unproductive plant??? :confused:

Why is he talking about getting the bailout back??? It's simple business sense to stop making crap people don't want to buy... :peace

US Auto Makers have been slow to adapt to changing perceptions of value and the truth of it is that US Auto Makers always made a value proposition in most model segments. US Auto Makers never made the best cars and never made the worst cars. If you want to use a badge for the sake of argument, US Auto Makers were the Chevy when viewed from an International perspective. Being a Chevy is fine all the way up to the point where the markets are moving away from the middle and toward the poles and other makers are actually even making a better pitch for your value segment while you fiddle and diddle.

If anything it has been fortunate for US Makers that American buyers remain loyal to US made Pickup Trucks and and US made SUVs. The "big" truck is still what American buyers want to buy and the "big" SUV is also still what American buyers want to buy. I actually do wonder how much of that especially for SUV's is due to the utterly miserable state of roads and bridges in this country. Its become an embarrassment at this point and how many people really want to even drive a sedan or coupe over that nonsense.

But i lived through the era when US Auto Makers absolutely dominated the US market without question across models. It pains me to see US Makers forced through this very slender straw to their market bases at this point because its all lost business like it or not.

i think their move to hybrids, electrics and autonomous vehicles while supporting their truck and SUV sales is actually the only move they have. My cautions are that they have been beaten to market like a wet mule by better offerings in these late coming model segments in the past and I seriously doubt they can afford another round of that!

My other caution is the take up on autonomous. When I actually knew and had customers in the Auto Industry, what was on the drawing board today was slated for release 7 years downstream. Procurement contracts were engaged 5 years from going to market. I would bet real entry into the autonomous market here is 10 years downstream....maybe more. That better be enough time to fix these garbage roads and bridges and overpasses and every other darned thing that is falling apart in this country because I have no idea how fleets or even multiple autonomous vehicles are going to negotiate this mess of a US Infrastructure when they are all without a driver trying to negotiate these cow paths and mine fields that pass for roads today.

Last edited:
The other part of this is that restructuring could be saving all the other jobs. Better to lose 15k jobs from losing divisions than to lose nearly 200k employees if the whole thing goes belly up.

1. Did Trump make false promises to his supporters?

2. If GM has to restructure why is Trump (the government) interfering?

3. Do conservatives believe government should control the means of production and threaten companies?

I hope you sincerely consider these valid criticisms.

1. Did Trump make false promises to his supporters?

2. If GM has to restructure why is Trump (the government) interfering?

3. Do conservatives believe government should control the means of production and threaten companies?

I hope you sincerely consider these valid criticisms.

1. Yes

2. I'd love to know that myself

3. They didn't used to, but seem to now

1) You are assuming the 8,000 white collar jobs are all in the USA.

2) GM isn't shipping overseas, they are restructuring after the selling season to transition from vehicles that weren't making profit (gasoline sedans) to focus on electric and autonomous cars. That's a normal restructuring.

3) It's better to lose white collar jobs than blue collar jobs because it's easier to reemploy those people.

4) Many of the people who lost their jobs will be able to get hired at the SUV and truck plants that are ramping up because those vehicles are selling better.

Except it just so happens that all of those jobs are overseas. Get real. We all know what this is.

Lordstown, one of the plants closing, makes the Chevy Cruise which isnt selling well and is believed to soon be discontinued. Essentially, it is a mile long plant that makes cars no one wants to buy. Not sure how that is Trumps fault.

The name of the car is "Cruze". This isn't about the Risky Business actor. If you're going to post about extremely important news, get the facts right.

And if it was a mile long plant making cars nobody wanted to buy, why didn't the great and powerful best bigliest most wonderful businessman in the world not know that when he stood in front of that plant and told those people not to sell their houses and not to give up hope because the jobs were coming back to that factory?

Soooo why is 'businessman' tRump denouncing GM for closing an unproductive plant??? :confused:

Why is he talking about getting the bailout back??? It's simple business sense to stop making crap people don't want to buy... :peace

Trump wants GM to move their overseas production back to the US. You know...make things better for those American workers hit by these plant closures.

Christonagoddamn cracker. Do you have any clue at all what a "white collar" job is by definition? It is an office worker. Someone performing administrative work and not manual labor. Do you have any idea who they are in GM? They are accounts payable clerks and administrative assistants and customer service people and so on. You think some 32 year old secretary making $40,000 a year has made enough ****ing money to be "set for life" at this stage?

Didn't you hear Democrats just give free money to all white-collar workers to keep the hardworking blue-collar workers down. /s

Didn't you hear Democrats just give free money to all white-collar workers to keep the hardworking blue-collar workers down. /s

That wouldn't surprise me that Trump devotees actually believe that.

But my head is spinning from the sheer ignorance of that poster's comment and his complete and total lack of comprehension about white collar jobs. Maybe he's a fry cook at Burger King, I don't know. But even then he should know that he's being supported by hundreds of those white collar workers who have made enough money already to be "set for life". You know - the women and men sitting in cubicles scheduling the delivery of the beef and lettuce to 25 locations, while earning no doubt a whopping $30,000 a year or so doing it. Yeah! You make $30,000 a year and you are already set for life, baby.

Maybe in ****ing Zimbabwe, but not in the United States.

This is what's wrong in Trump Fan Nation. This is why people are posting the nonsense that they do.

Actually, many of the jobs you stated such as customer service are pink collar jobs, not white collar jobs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-collar_worker

At any rate, white collar jobs don't exist without the blue collar jobs. It's most important to have the blue collar jobs. Office jobs are also much easier to retrain like I mentioned before.

Why would you say this? I never made any argument along these lines.

No, those jobs are in North America.
So pedantic. These are jobs that now will be filled by foreigners.

Sent from my HTC phone. Instaurare omnia in Christo.

So pedantic. These are jobs that now will be filled by foreigners.

Sent from my HTC phone. Instaurare omnia in Christo.
Actually, probably not. These plants made cars that GM found to be unprofitable.

The truth is that the tax cuts went to buy-backs and not jobs, and now the jobs are going too, because Trump's tariff war has cost billions.

1) Okay. So because you cherry-pick data, having the hitting record growth rate in manufacturing isn't good enough for you. You can spin yourself dizzy, but not me.

2) Trump has made distinctions between white and blue collar jobs, just in ways you don't recognize.

Hardly. The whole segment of manufacturing is hardly cherry-picking. You are forced to claim that because you are wrong.

I don't care to try and sparse simply the most wretched POTUS in history.

Back
Top Bottom