• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The "Trump's out of office" impeachment argument is nonsense.

Showtime586

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
The whole premise of this argument is void of anything substantive and based solely on partisan politics.

In simple terms, if Trump was out of office when the impeachment vote was held, it would be a non starter. Given that Trump was still in office, that point does not apply.

The idea that a president who loses an election gets a "get out of jail free" card for the remainder of his term is simply ludacris. The Office of the Presidency is the most powerful position in our government and there has to be accountability to the office holder other than just losing an election.

The bottom line is simply this: Most every member here claiming there is no constitutional provision for prosecuting Trump would likely have the opposite feeling had Trump been a Democrat. Sadly, this is simply the current political climate that we live in.

Lets impeach Clinton again or dig up Nixon and impeach him too.Just because he died is no excuse.

The whole premise of this argument is void of anything substantive and based solely on partisan politics.

In simple terms, if Trump was out of office when the impeachment vote was held, it would be a non starter. Given that Trump was still in office, that point does not apply.

The idea that a president who loses an election gets a "get out of jail free" card for the remainder of his term is simply ludacris. The Office of the Presidency is the most powerful position in our government and there has to be accountability to the office holder other than just losing an election.

The bottom line is simply this: Most every member here claiming there is no constitutional provision for prosecuting Trump would likely have the opposite feeling had Trump been a Democrat. Sadly, this is simply the current political climate that we live in.

Thank god we have you and don't have to pay constitutional lawyers....right?

So you think a president should be allowed to use their power to incite treason, then face zero consequences. Sounds like the partisan issues are all on you, my friend!

I wish Trump would testify.Then if it comes out that Pelosi planned all this at the Capitol she can be sent to Gitmo.

Lets impeach Clinton again or dig up Nixon and impeach him too.Just because he died is no excuse.

Clinton has already served the maximum of two terms so he can't run for office again regardless....

So you think a president should be allowed to use their power to incite treason, then face zero consequences. Sounds like the partisan issues are all on you, my friend!
If you were referring to me, i think that you misread the intent of my post.

So, after fighting a war for independence from a monarchy, the founding fathers chose to give an outgoing president a free hand with no accountability. Hilarious.

It says something that the Supreme Court Chief Justice refuses to try the case.

:oops: Dude. Read for comprehension.:geek:

Better yet, take up 🏈

I wish Trump would testify.Then if it comes out that Pelosi planned all this at the Capitol she can be sent to Gitmo.
Why bother dignifying the farce?

Clinton has already served the maximum of two terms so he can't run for office again regardless....
We could always impeach SoS Clinton. She actually deserved it.

The only legal foundation so far is for removal from office. There isn't a civil or criminal tie to impeachment. Right now it's political theater . I suspect the divide in our country will just get wider and deeper.

So, after fighting a war for independence from a monarchy, the founding fathers chose to give an outgoing president a free hand with no accountability. Hilarious.

While it would be great not to have Trump looming over the 2024 elections the above seems unthinking IMHO. Last I looked Trump is now a private citizen. If he has committed a crime, the let the now democrat controlled DOJ bring charges against him. I find it hilarious you think citizens cant be held accountable for their actions in America.

You're making a moral argument, not a constitutional argument.

if the argument holds, it means that there is a period of time in which a defeated president can do basically whatever he or she wants and then run out the clock. that would be a very dumb precedent to set.

if the argument holds, it means that there is a period of time in which a defeated president can do basically whatever he or she wants and then run out the clock. that would be a very dumb precedent to set.
Not really, no. If a case could be made for criminal incitement against Trump he could be tried as a private citizen in federal court. Impeachment is a political process.

The only legal foundation so far is for removal from office. There isn't a civil or criminal tie to impeachment. Right now it's political theater . I suspect the divide in our country will just get wider and deeper.
The "political theatre" is definitely there. That said, Trump is certainly accountable for his actions as POTUS. We are certainly a very divided country.

While it would be great not to have Trump looming over the 2024 elections the above seems unthinking IMHO. Last I looked Trump is now a private citizen. If he has committed a crime, the let the now democrat controlled DOJ bring charges against him. I find it hilarious you think citizens cant be held accountable for their actions in America.
Accountability ..that's a hoot, many of last years rioters will not be prosecuted one bit. Largest riot damage in history.

Not really, no. If a case could be made for criminal incitement against Trump he could be tried as a private citizen in federal court. Impeachment is a political process.
That argument is convoluted in and of itself. First, Trump believed that a sitting president was above the law. Secondly, how do you bring charges on Trump as a "private citizen" when he was POTUS when his offenses occured?

The "political theatre" is definitely there. That said, Trump is certainly accountable table for his actions as POTUS. We are certainly a very divided country.
He lost the election, that is his judgement as president. His entire presidency was a witch hunt. Russia Russia was a BS take down. Ukraine phone call, even bigger.

he did it while in office, and a conviction would prevent him from running again. there is no excuse for letting him skate. elected Republicans are afraid of being primaried, and that's it.

An impeachment is by definition political..

So the senate convicts Trump. What happens? He is already out of office. It's theater. It's completely partisan as we have witnessed the past four years.

Exactly! He should have been removed from office during his first impeachment, but his republican sycophants didn't have the backbone or integrity, or loyalty to country to do it. So now, among other things, he has openly called a Georgia official to encourage, threaten or bribe him to cheat in the election and 'find him votes', 'comon fellas', the scumbag thinks he's a mob boss and can put the pressure on other people to commit crimes for him.

Then of course, his grand finale, incite his violent base of White Supremacists, religious extremists and conspiracy nutters to attack our Capitol, threaten our lawmakers, spit on our democracy and commit murder in the process. Yeah, pretty much think this anti-American piece of trash is worthy of a second impeachment. If Presidents can do everything he has done, we don't have a democratic republic anymore, we don't have a country anymore. How so many slimy weaklings can bow down to one corrupt manchild is beyond me....no respect for the Trump Party, hope all involved pay the consequences.

So the senate convicts Trump. What happens? He is already out of office. It's theater. It's completely partisan as we have witnessed the past four years.

They vote on barring him from holding future office.

That argument is convoluted in and of itself. First, Trump believed that a sitting president was above the law. Secondly, how do you bring charges on Trump as a "private citizen" when he was POTUS when his offenses occured?
First, what Trump "believes" is immaterial. Second, the President is not above the law. While it may not be possible for a sitting President to be prosecuted, provided a statute of limitation has not expired he can certainly be brought up on criminal charges after he leaves office for actions while in office.

it sends the message that it is not ok to foment insurrections, and it will give a disqualification vote more weight.

before i waste any more time on convincing you that fomenting insurrections is unacceptable behavior for a president to engage in, are you a history rewriter who believes either that he didn't foment an insurrection or that it wasn't an insurrection? if so, i don't waste time on that.

Back
Top Bottom