• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Trump Disaster

I think that the GOP could have fielded so many candidates who could have soundly beaten Hillary, and they put up Trump instead. It's like Bush's second term when America was all like "Anyone but Bush" and the DNC put up Kerry and America said "well....****".

:lol: I Lol'd :D

Imagine trying to run the government that way.

According to three separate Secretaries of Defense, that's how we've been running foreign policy for about 6-7 years now.

You can see that it's gone swimmingly.

I have no problem electing a person to the office of President who has never held an elected office. But the person needs to know a lot more about the world than the average Joe Blow off the street. That is not Trump.

I dunno. The idea that someone should use all them fancy words, and actually know what is going on sounds like liberal cuck elitism....

Yup, very true.

Hardly, Kasich won what, Ohio? What stupidity in thinking can lead one to conclude Kasich was that appealing "if just...?" Kasich wasn't the answer, hell that egotistical baffoon helped give us Trump!

According to three separate Secretaries of Defense, that's how we've been running foreign policy for about 6-7 years now.

You can see that it's gone swimmingly.

And amusingly, that is a big step up from the 8 years before...

It's impossible to win a nomination with just a small group of insanely irrational supporters. Just ask Kasich or Sanders.

No, but when there are 17 candidates in the race, it is possible to hold onto a small group of insanely irrational supporters long enough for the rational candidates to drop out of the race.

For the next portion, I am just working under the assumption that you started off by not supporting Trump, but now supports Trump because he is the only Republican nominee remaining. And if that assumption is incorrect, just pretend that I am talking to such a person.

Seriously, the man joked that he could kill someone in public and his supporters would still support him. Do you place yourself in that camp? No? Well, that means you are supporting someone almost specifically because he DID/DOES have those sorts of supporters and thus, lasted long enough to become the only nominee remaining.

The man has promised to build a wall while making Mexico pay for it, to ban muslims, and to put a 45% tariff on any business that moves overseas. Do you take him completely at his word? No? Well, that means you are supporting someone almost solely because he DID/DOES have supporters that believe those irrational promises and thus, supported him long enough to become the only nominee.

The man denigrated POWs, made fun of a disabled journalist, implied that a journalist asked a tough question because she was on her period, and called Mexicans rapists and drug dealers. Do you support that type of rhetoric? No? Well, that means you are supporting someone almost entirely because he DID/DOES have supporters that support that type of rhetoric and thus, supported him long enough to become the only nominee.

And amusingly, that is a big step up from the 8 years before...

Yes and no. Rumsfeld was a controlled disaster, but Gates, when he was allowed to actually make decisions, was a competent administrator.

I heard a GOP "strategist" saying that Trumps people are "hogtied" by lack of staff and money and because EVERYTHING needs to be cleared by Trump himself. You can imagine that no one wants to make any decisions themselves because.....FIRED.

Hmmm....I'm kind of surprised by that. Micromanagement on that scale seems almost Tyrannical. But that's what Obama and Clinton are I thought?</sarcasm>

Yes and no. Rumsfeld was a controlled disaster, but Gates, when he was allowed to actually make decisions, was a competent administrator.

I give Rumsfeld credit for redoing all the war planning. Was needing done. However, that is about the best those two did.

I know the Trumpettes are all proud of their candidate's lack of political experience. But, in a way, that is a bit like being proud that your dentist doesn't know squat about teeth.

This campaign season is going to be a blast.

This campaign is making it extremely difficult to keep my tin foil hat locked away. I'm sure even the most staid of us has entertained the notion, however briefly, that Trump is a poe with the purpose of reinforcing negative Republican stereotypes and handing the White House to a Democrat.

Many are...and many more will vote blindly partisan. As will democrats. What...you think this country got this badly ****ed up on its own or just because of bad politicians? The parties may be driving the clown car but its the voters that keep tuning up and servicing the piece of ****.

A year ago I would have argued that us forum dwellers are far too cynical and severely underestimate our voters. Then Trump happened.

I think that the GOP could have fielded so many candidates who could have soundly beaten Hillary, and they put up Trump instead. It's like Bush's second term when America was all like "Anyone but Bush" and the DNC put up Kerry and America said "well....****".

What a lot of horse****. He ****ing won the primary. The GOP did their damnedest to put an establishment candidate out there. Where have you been?

This campaign is making it extremely difficult to keep my tin foil hat locked away. I'm sure even the most staid of us has entertained the notion, however briefly, that Trump is a poe with the purpose of reinforcing negative Republican stereotypes and handing the White House to a Democrat.

Dude, I would have sworn Ann Coulter was a Poe had I stepped off a plane from Jupiter 5 years ago. No way could that person be a reflection the zeitgeist of the GOP. How wrong I would have been.

What a lot of horse****. He ****ing won the primary. The GOP did their damnedest to put an establishment candidate out there. Where have you been?

He certainly did, and he will lose the race because America on whole doesn't want anything to do with Donald Trump as President. So many of those "establishment candidates" would have went further than Trump will in the general election. He won't be able to beat a known crook, liar, and corporate candidate because Trump is an unmitigated embarrassment to America. The GOP is going to be hurting for some time because of this one, they should have had some process through which they could have weeded him out.

Dude, I would have sworn Ann Coulter was a Poe had I stepped off a plane from Jupiter 5 years ago. No way could that person be a reflection the zeitgeist of the GOP. How wrong I would have been.

Trump is on operating on another level. He's a caricature of a Republican created by an ultra-liberal cartoonist for Salon.

I give Rumsfeld credit for redoing all the war planning. Was needing done. However, that is about the best those two did.

Rumsfeld was a control freak who ran roughshod over subordinate commands, did a poor job at it, had a poorly constructed decision-cycle, and spent too much of his time acting like a rival to Powell and Rice.

"TPFDD is for ******s" - Actual Rumsfeld quote when it was explained to him that, if he insisted on going into Iraq early, he was going to be going with fewer forces than what had been deemed minimally necessary to take and adequately hold the ground. We're going to win because Rawr, Aggression (but still staying on our bases instead of dominating the terrain) and cool smaller brigades, and information technology still a few years down the pipeline, and stuff.

"Well, let them get it out of their system" - the response by Rumsfeld and Franks when the OGA analyst told them that, if they let the Shia run loose right after the invasion,the Sunni would assume we were there to put the Shia in charge and persecute them.

He certainly did, and he will lose the race because America on whole doesn't want anything to do with Donald Trump as President. So many of those "establishment candidates" would have went further than Trump will in the general election. He won't be able to beat a known crook, liar, and corporate candidate because Trump is an unmitigated embarrassment to America.

At least you're not blaming the GOP, but it is their fault indirectly that Trump exists; because the establishment is too stupid to see the conservatives and most Republicans are tired of their broken promises and siding with the Democrats. But they didn't want Trump, they just made him possible.

I agree with your conclusion, but I don't see the GOP as the party to blame. The media made and promoted Trump from the moment he announced. The GOP tried to stop the media campaign, but were defenseless against the massive free media provided to Trump.

The media waged a brilliant campaign to boost Trump's profile while hiding Clinton in a closet and now that their two preferred candidates have the nomination, they will savage Trump and pimp for Clinton.

From a distance, it's almost comical how your media manipulates the "democratic" process and so few of you even recognize it happening. QUOTE

Good morning, CJ! :2wave:

:agree: How the GOP could be at fault here is mystifying - they did everything they could to stop him, but the media, and those who voted for him, won! I am a Kasich girl, and you see how much difference that made :lol: but when people like Nate Silver from FiveThirtyEight came out early saying, "Pay attention To Kasich, he's the real thing" I agreed! His resume of accomplishments dwarfed all the other candidates in either party, but he is not flashy or bombastic - and it looks like that's what sells these days - so sadly, to me at least, I accept that such is life in politics! :shrug:

So, you agree Republican voters are tools. :)

I agree all voters are tools if and when they let the media tell them who is an acceptable candidate based on their biases. Democrats are equally tools this time around, paying heed to the narrative that Clinton was inevitable and no others need apply.

I agree all voters are tools if and when they let the media tell them who is an acceptable candidate based on their biases. Democrats are equally tools this time around, paying heed to the narrative that Clinton was inevitable and no others need apply.

Trump had 18 challengers. The best of the bunch was Kasich. Media did not tell voters not to pick him. The people did not like him.

Hillary's rise has more to do with control of the party than the media. She also served herself well by destroying the Benghazi morons in hearings broadcasted during prime time. That's why she is winning.

At least you're not blaming the GOP, but it is their fault indirectly that Trump exists; because the establishment is too stupid to see the conservatives and most Republicans are tired of their broken promises and siding with the Democrats. But they didn't want Trump, they just made him possible.

Siding with Democrats? You have got to be kidding.

Rumsfeld was a control freak who ran roughshod over subordinate commands, did a poor job at it, had a poorly constructed decision-cycle, and spent too much of his time acting like a rival to Powell and Rice.

"TPFDD is for ******s" - Actual Rumsfeld quote when it was explained to him that, if he insisted on going into Iraq early, he was going to be going with fewer forces than what had been deemed minimally necessary to take and adequately hold the ground. We're going to win because Rawr, Aggression (but still staying on our bases instead of dominating the terrain) and cool smaller brigades, and information technology still a few years down the pipeline, and stuff.

"Well, let them get it out of their system" - the response by Rumsfeld and Franks when the OGA analyst told them that, if they let the Shia run loose right after the invasion,the Sunni would assume we were there to put the Shia in charge and persecute them.

I am not saying Rumsfeld was good, only that he tackled a job that needed doing(and probably needs doing again).

Trump is on operating on another level. He's a caricature of a Republican created by an ultra-liberal cartoonist for Salon.

If you asked him, he'd blame the cartoonist's Mexican heritage for that.

Siding with Democrats? You have got to be kidding.

What do you call giving in on budgets, and not following through on their campaign promises? For all intents and purposes they were Democrats. Boehner needed to go, and Ryan may need to also.

Back
Top Bottom