• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The trivia thread

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Post something that is trivia.

Here's one. How much was the outrageous British tax on tea, leading to the Boston Tea Party?

Answer: Approximately 8%.

That is less than just the sales tax of many states now - and there was no federal or state income tax nor property tax back then. The only taxes were value-added taxes (tax added to certain products).

Tea was like the opiate of the people in the colonies. How dare the Brits tax it like they did the slave trade.

Which band named itself after a 1963 Italian film starring Boris Karloff?

Black Sabbath

Rock legends Black Sabbath are named after an 1963 Italian-French horror film directed by Mario Bava and starring Boris Karloff. My Bloody Valentine are an Irish rock band formed in Dublin in 1983, named after the slasher film of the same name which was in theatres two years prior.

10 Bands Named After Horror Movies - Popcorn Horror.

How many ICBMs did North Dakota have?

One of the most important medical discoveries was the discovery of the 'HeLa' cell. It has been used extensively throughout the world for cancer research, leukemia, development of the polio vaccine, HIV treatments and even the Zika virus. The original cells were taken from a Black woman in Baltimore, Maryland in 1951, without her knowledge, without her consent, and without financial compensation for her survivors.

Henrietta Lacks was a poor Black woman living in the city of Baltimore, Maryland who had cervical cancer, was treated at Johns Hopkins Hospital. She entered Johns Hopkins hospital for her radiation treatments through a separate entrance designated for 'Black Patients Only'. The researcher examining her cancer cells found that they were like none other ever seen in medicine. These unique cancer cells doubled, tripled, etc. in just a few hours. The researcher was astonished to discover that a few of her cells in a Petri dish left overnight had grown over the top of the dish by the morning. These cells continued to be grown in the lab and eventually sold to pharmaceutical companies, research laboratories, medical schools and scientists all over the world, in every developed country on the planet.

These cells are quite likely still being used today in conjunction with Covid-19 research. These cells have been referred to as 'immortal cells'.

henrietta-lacks-21366671-1-402.jpg

I have HeLa cells in both eyes due to a motorcycle accident on the Blue Ridge Pkwy in the 80's. I can still ride to this day thank you lord!

I have HeLa cells in both eyes due to a motorcycle accident on the Blue Ridge Pkwy in the 80's. I can still ride to this day thank you lord!

Thank you, Henrietta

Trump is the 45th POTUS.

How many individuals have held the office?

Grover Cleveland was #22 and #24, so there have been 44 men to hold the title.

One of the most important medical discoveries was the discovery of the 'HeLa' cell. It has been used extensively throughout the world for cancer research, leukemia, development of the polio vaccine, HIV treatments and even the Zika virus. The original cells were taken from a Black woman in Baltimore, Maryland in 1951, without her knowledge, without her consent, and without financial compensation for her survivors.

Henrietta Lacks was a poor Black woman living in the city of Baltimore, Maryland who had cervical cancer, was treated at Johns Hopkins Hospital. She entered Johns Hopkins hospital for her radiation treatments through a separate entrance designated for 'Black Patients Only'. The researcher examining her cancer cells found that they were like none other ever seen in medicine. These unique cancer cells doubled, tripled, etc. in just a few hours. The researcher was astonished to discover that a few of her cells in a Petri dish left overnight had grown over the top of the dish by the morning. These cells continued to be grown in the lab and eventually sold to pharmaceutical companies, research laboratories, medical schools and scientists all over the world, in every developed country on the planet.

These cells are quite likely still being used today in conjunction with Covid-19 research. These cells have been referred to as 'immortal cells'.

From Johns Hopkins:Today, these incredible cells— nicknamed "HeLa" cells, from the first two letters of her first and last names — are used to study the effects of toxins, drugs, hormones and viruses on the growth of cancer cells without experimenting on humans. They have been used to test the effects of radiation and poisons, to study the human genome, to learn more about how viruses work, and played a crucial role in the development of the polio vaccine.

Although Mrs. Lacks ultimately passed away on October 4, 1951, at the age of 31, her cells continue to impact the world.

Octane rating has nothing to do with how much "power" or energy gasoline has. All octane levels of gasoline have exactly the same amount of energy. Rather, the higher the octane the higher the compression can be before the gasoline ignites on it's own. Thus, the higher the compression the motor, the higher the octane needs to be. Additives cause the higher octane rating.

Thus, if your car is designed for 83 octane, if you put in 91 octane gasoline your motor will have less power by delaying the ignition. However, if you car is for 91 octane and you use 83 octane, your motor won't last long as the ignition will happen while the piston is still coming up - trying to slam the piston back down in the wrong direction - causing "knocking." This can quickly take out the bearings, piston rings or even the piston itself.

Most people think the higher the octane level, the more powerful the gasoline and that is inaccurate. Before additives long ago, most cars only had about 4-1 compression - one reason they were so low on horsepower. Now most cars are at least 8 to 1 compression. However, computers now detect knock - and can address it by adjusting when the pistons fire and by increasingly the percentage of gas in the gas-air ratio.

To date nobody has discovered the fossilized skull of brontosaurus. What we know to be their heads are merely educated guesses inferred from related species.

What is the most common first name of all U.S. presidents?

Answer:

James

How many miles is the Earth from the Sun?

Answer:

93 Million

Every single member of the US House or Senate to have been expelled throughout our nation's history has been a Democrat.

The southernmost US State is Hawaii.

The most Northern, Eastern, and Westernmost State is....Alaska.

Part of the Aleutian Island chain of Alaska lays across the 180th Meridian, which divides the globe between the East and West Hemispheres.

I have known about her for many years. I have her story, along with many other stories, on the back wall of my class room for students to read and learn. I have lots of things on my classroom walls for kids to learn something new and interesting. One student actually complained to me one day. "Miss, I don't like your room. Every time I look up and want my mind to wander and relax, I see something to read and learn about!"

Her story is remarkable and I believe they made a movie a few years ago from her daughter's perspective. I don't know the name of the film though.

The Beatles' songs occupied the top 5 positions on the Billboard Hot 100 during the week of April 4, 1964:

1. Can't Buy Me Love
2. Twist and Shout
3. She Loves You
4. I Want to Hold Your Hand
5. Please Please Me

They also had seven additional songs within the top 80 for the same week (no's 31, 41, 46, 58, 65, 68, 79). Talk about a Beatles invasion.

To date nobody has discovered the fossilized skull of brontosaurus. What we know to be their heads are merely educated guesses inferred from related species.
Paleontologists no longer use the name "Brontosaurus."

Thus, if your car is designed for 83 octane, if you put in 91 octane gasoline your motor will have less power by delaying the ignition.
No. The 91 octane will further delay PRE-ignition, If 83 octane is enough to delay PRE-ignition in a given engine long enough that ignition is started by the spark, then 91 will be ignited by the spark also.

There will be zero difference in how the engine runs. The only difference will be felt in your wallet.

Back
Top Bottom