• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Trinity

There are no pure languages.
Yes, there is...the pure language is the truth about Jehovah God and his purposes as found in his Word, the Bible...people all over the world, of all different tongues speak it...

Wrong...it's not Hebrew or Jehovah would not have said..."change the language"...
You can say that, but you would be wrong.

Yes, there is...the pure language is the truth about Jehovah God and his purposes as found in his Word, the Bible...people all over the world, of all different tongues speak it...

No. Swing and another miss. There is no such thing.

No. Swing and another miss. There is no such thing.
fc2bd92dc9fdd52427d9ec151d665974.jpg

Hell comes from a Germanic/old English word with an Indo-European root, meaning hide or cover. nothing to do with imaginary links to imaginary friends.

You are speaking in terms of titles...father, mother, son, daughter...all titles...humans have many titles, only one personal name....Jehovah God also has many titles...God, Lord, Father...but He has only one personal name and He wants us to use it...

“I am Jehovah. That is my name.” Isaiah 42:8

For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” Romans 10:13

Okay...

Doesn't seem related to my post, but... okay.

I was a little amused by the exchange between Moses and God as recounted in the Bible in Exodus.

Moses asks what is God's name. God replies that He is who He is. For most of my life, I just heard the words or watched Charlton Heston and went on from there.

Being much older, I heard the words differently recently. Could it be possible that NOBODY had EVER asked God for a name previously? Does anyone in the White House ask Biden who he is. Well, except Biden? ;)

God, never having been asked before, surprised by the question, responds in a way that is like me in the bank discovering that I forgot my wallet. "I'm me!"

Unless He decides to let us know, we'll probably never know. It just seems a little humorous to me.

Okay...

Doesn't seem related to my post, but... okay.

I was a little amused by the exchange between Moses and God as recounted in the Bible in Exodus.

Moses asks what is God's name. God replies that He is who He is. For most of my life, I just heard the words or watched Charlton Heston and went on from there.

Being much older, I heard the words differently recently. Could it be possible that NOBODY had EVER asked God for a name previously? Does anyone in the White House ask Biden who he is. Well, except Biden? ;)

God, never having been asked before, surprised by the question, responds in a way that is like me in the bank discovering that I forgot my wallet. "I'm me!"

Unless He decides to let us know, we'll probably never know. It just seems a little humorous to me.
Considering God's personal name, the Tetragrammaton/יהוה, appears almost 7,000 times in the original text of the Hebrew Scriptures, I'd say He's already let us know it is highly important to Him...Jesus also felt so...

“You must pray, then, this way:+ “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name+ be sanctified" Matthew 6:9

“I have made your name manifest* to the men whom you gave me out of the world.+ They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have observed* your word." John 17:6

John 17:11,12,26; John 5:43;10:25

Considering God's personal name, the Tetragrammaton/יהוה, appears almost 7,000 times in the original text of the Hebrew Scriptures, I'd say He's already let us know it is highly important to Him...Jesus also felt so...

“You must pray, then, this way:+ “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name+ be sanctified" Matthew 6:9

“I have made your name manifest* to the men whom you gave me out of the world.+ They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have observed* your word." John 17:6

John 17:11,12,26; John 5:43;10:25

I had never heard or read the word "Tetragrammaton" until you wrote it here.

When Moses asks God what name he should use to attribute the source of the wisdom he has received, God did not say "Tetragrammaton", did He?

I had never heard or read the word "Tetragrammaton" until you wrote it here.

When Moses asks God what name he should use to attribute the source of the wisdom he has received, God did not say "Tetragrammaton", did He?

Have you ever read Exodus 6:2,3 in 1611 version of KJV? Later versions have removed God's name...

"2 And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD:

3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them."

Or Psalm 83:18?

"That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth."

Or Isaiah 12:2?

"Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation."

Have you ever read Exodus 6:2,3 in 1611 version of KJV? Later versions have removed God's name...

"2 And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD:

3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them."

Or Psalm 83:18?

"That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth."

Or Isaiah 12:2?

"Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation."

So what is the quote about "I am" from?

So what is the quote about "I am" from?
God’s reply in Hebrew was: ʼEh·yehʹ ʼAsherʹ ʼEh·yehʹ. Some translations render this as “I AM THAT I AM.” However, it is to be noted that the Hebrew verb ha·yahʹ, from which the word ʼEh·yehʹ is drawn, does not mean simply “be.” Rather, it means “become,” or “prove to be.” The reference here is not to God’s self-existence but to what he has in mind to become toward others. Therefore, the New World Translation properly renders the above Hebrew expression as “I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE.” Jehovah thereafter added: “This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘I SHALL PROVE TO BE has sent me to you.’”—Ex 3:14, ftn.

That this meant no change in God’s name, but only an additional insight into God’s personality, is seen from his further words: “This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation.” (Ex 3:15; compare Ps 135:13; Ho 12:5.) The name Jehovah comes from a Hebrew verb that means “to become,” and a number of scholars suggest that the name means “He Causes to Become.” This definition well fits Jehovah’s role as the Creator of all things and the Fulfiller of his purpose. Only the true God could rightly and authentically bear such a name.

This aids one in understanding the sense of Jehovah’s later statement to Moses: “I am Jehovah. And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as God Almighty, but as respects my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them.” (Ex 6:2, 3) Since the name Jehovah was used many times by those patriarchal ancestors of Moses, it is evident that God meant that he manifested himself to them in the capacity of Jehovah only in a limited way. To illustrate this, those who had known the man Abram could hardly be said to have really known him as Abraham (meaning “Father of a Crowd (Multitude)”) while he had but one son, Ishmael. When Isaac and other sons were born and began producing offspring, the name Abraham took on greater meaning or import. So, too, the name Jehovah would now take on expanded meaning for the Israelites.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002391

This, or course, is only a partial explanation. There is the further information the Eh-yeh Asher Eh-yeh is similar in pronunciation to the how YHWH (not exact, but near ). It basically had to functions. 1) it was a pun. The tanakah was full of puns, and 2) It was basically saying 'None of your business'.

So, the JW explanation is poor, based on preconception that are not valid.

With respect, the answer you give here is contradictory and circular.

When God conversed with Moses, He was not really giving an answer that satisfied the question asked.

It could have been that Moses was asking the wrong question.

If a betrayed spouse walks in on their partner in the act of betrayal, they might ask, "What's going on here?".

That should be obvious. What that betrayed spouse is actually wondering is, "What does this mean to our future?".

As humans, we often ask the wrong question. Perhaps God understood this and determined that what Moses was asking and what he wanted to know were different things.

Back
Top Bottom