• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The tragic tale of a stolen legacy

Back in 2008 when Obama was elected president, it was different for me as a conservative and a republican voter, than it normally is when a democrat gets elected who I really opposed. What made it different was that instead of just the pure disappointment and that gut feeling that American voters had made a mistake, which is the norm, I acknowledged that there were some very positive things that could come out of this that would be beneficial for the country as a whole, but most importantly for black people in America.

I felt that the election of America's first black president would bring a sense of pride and belonging to America's black community that would result in many positive things for the future... It was something I felt was desperately needed for the growth of race relations and equality. It was the pinnacle, the last great achievement for black people in America. It was the event that finally proved to everyone, both black and white, that no matter what color a persons skin is, with a lot of hard work and determination, there is nothing in America that can't be achieved.

Four years later, headed toward the 2012 election I realized that my optimism and the hopes I had for what the Obama presidency would bring for race relation, was not only wrong, but it actually achieved the complete opposite. Even though it was obvious to me that race relations between blacks and whites had gotten even worse during his first term, largely I don't think that Obama was to blame for this happening. The ones who are responsible for creating an even larger divide between black and whites are his political supporters. It's the members of the democratic party in the senate and congress, along with liberal/progressive talking heads in the media, who decided that their best political strategy to get legislation passed, to move their agenda forward and to get more votes on election day, was by playing the race card. It's part of a "divide and conquer" strategy to portrait any and all who opposed the president and the liberal agenda as "racists". It was the best way they could convince people that conservatives and republicans didn't really oppose their policies at all, just the color of the presidents skin.

That strategy bought Obama 4 more years in the White house, but created a greater divide between black people and white people in America, and unfortunately without the left even realizing it, robbed many in the black community of something very important that can never be replaced. That thing is pride.

If race politics hadn't been employed in 2012, I have no doubt that based on his dismal performance, Obama would have been defeated, which would have at least left black people in America with something that could have never been taken away from them... Pride in America's first black president. Even though Obama's first term was anything but successful, he could have left office with black Americans feeling proud of America's first black president. I have no doubt that if he had lost that election, his legacy would have been marked by history as positive one. That would have been something that no matter what, could have never be taken away from black Americans, much in the way the Kennedy legacy has existed for Catholics.

By being elected to a second term, Obama is now forced to face the music for all the lies, failed policies and utter incompetency of his administration, that would have been brushed off by history and become Romney's problems had he lost and gone home. From the "you can keep your insurance" lies, to the lies about Benghazi, the "I heard about it in the media" excuses, and the IRS scandal which gets closer and closer to the White House every day. There are many more examples I could list, but you get the idea. It's that often used phrase made popular by the President's spiritual mentor Jeremiah Wright that comes to mind... Obama's "chickens are coming home to roost" and that will likely destroy what could have been at least a favorable legacy that black Americans could have used to inspire future generations.

Thanks to the very people who were responsible for getting Obama elected in the first place, the historic legacy of America's first black president will have very few positive aspects, while the list of negatives will be immense. This saddens me greatly because it didn't have to be this way. Black people deserved to have a man they could take pride in for many generations to come... A man they could say helped mend race relations, get rid of the differences that divided Americans, and made great strides in achieving equality across the board, bringing us closer and closer to that truly color blind society the MLK had dreamed of. Unfortunately, that's all but gone thanks to the choice by liberals, progressives and the democrats in DC who put politics first, by deciding that using the race card to divide America, was more important than allowing the Obama presidency to help unite the nation.

Grim17
May 26, 2014

Translation: I don't like that people don't vote for the people I like.

Jetboogieman;bt2671 said:
Translation: I don't like that people don't vote for the people I like.

That's pretty sad. I suppose ignoring the actual context of what I wrote and creating a phony conclusion, is necessary for you to maintain both your political beliefs, and your support for our failed president.

I just don't understand how you do it? How do you convince yourself that Obama isn't a failure on the economy, on the nations employment, on fiscal policy, on energy policies, on foreign affairs and as a leader, who instead of uniting Americans has managed ro create a division, the likes of which hasn't been seen in this nation in decades.

I can't imagine embracing political beliefs that require such dishonesty in order to validate... That is what's so damned sad here.

Back
Top Bottom