• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The trade war & China’s slowing growth are crimping American companies’ sales, from Jaguar to Macy's

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
The trade war & China’s slowing growth are crimping American companies’ sales, from Jaguar to Macy's

https://www.scmp.com/business/banki...d-chinas-slowing-growth-are-crimping-american

The main industries being hammered by the gloom are airlines, cars, banking, retail, technology and industrials

Trade wars, China’s slowdown, erratic stock markets: The outlook is getting grimmer for an increasing number of companies across the globe.

Just Thursday, more than a half-dozen corporate giants either lowered their profit forecast, announced massive job cuts or pulled plans in the face of market volatility.
=====================================================
Welcome to the wonderful world of Trumpian economics as trade wars start to take their toll.

On the block: 'American Airlines Group, Jaguar Land Rover, Macy’s and BlackRock were among the biggest casualties, joining the likes of Apple and FedEx that have warned recently that the future' isn’t looking as good as it did just a few weeks ago.'

My advice: put your money into durable things like canned goods & gold.

Re: The trade war & China’s slowing growth are crimping American companies’ sales, from Jaguar to Ma

https://www.scmp.com/business/banki...d-chinas-slowing-growth-are-crimping-american

The main industries being hammered by the gloom are airlines, cars, banking, retail, technology and industrials

Trade wars, China’s slowdown, erratic stock markets: The outlook is getting grimmer for an increasing number of companies across the globe.

Just Thursday, more than a half-dozen corporate giants either lowered their profit forecast, announced massive job cuts or pulled plans in the face of market volatility.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Trumpian economics as trade wars start to take their toll.

On the block: 'American Airlines Group, Jaguar Land Rover, Macy’s and BlackRock were among the biggest casualties, joining the likes of Apple and FedEx that have warned recently that the future' isn’t looking as good as it did just a few weeks ago.'

As the saying goes: A fool and his money are soon parted.

Re: The trade war & China’s slowing growth are crimping American companies’ sales, from Jaguar to Ma

Who said it would be easy weening ourselves off of China?

It's going to be a slow process, moving our buisness away to other places.

My advice? Invest in companies who are based in, or actively moving back to, the USA.

BTW, whatever happened to the social outrage regarding overseas sweatshop labor in unsafe factory conditions making shoes (Nike), clothing (Kathy Lee Gifford), and cheap merchandise (Wal-Mart) back in the 90's? Cheap production overseas taking dollars and undermining jobs from the USA.

IMO we should never have allowed corporations to ship factory production to cheap labor markets without slapping major tariffs to compete with US production.

Last edited:

My advice? Invest in companies who are based in, or actively moving back to, the USA.

BTW, whatever happened to the social outrage regarding making shoes (Nike), clothing (Kathy Lee Gifford), and cheap merchandise (Wal-Mart) back in the 90's? Cheap production overseas taking dollars and undermining jobs from the USA.

We should never have allowed corporations to ship factory production to cheap labor markets.

How can they get richer than those who enjoy those hordes of desperate workers paying Americans enough to pay their rent?

Think, man!

BTW, whatever happened to the social outrage regarding overseas sweatshop labor in unsafe factory conditions making shoes (Nike), clothing (Kathy Lee Gifford), and cheap merchandise (Wal-Mart) back in the 90's? Cheap production overseas taking dollars and undermining jobs from the USA.

IMO we should never have allowed corporations to ship factory production to cheap labor markets without slapping major tariffs to compete with US production.

Um, got any examples of the bolded?

BTW, whatever happened to the social outrage regarding making shoes (Nike), clothing (Kathy Lee Gifford), and cheap merchandise (Wal-Mart) back in the 90's? Cheap production overseas taking dollars and undermining jobs from the USA.

The USA controlled foreign economies for years. We trapped resources in the USA and finished the products and collected value added big time. China observed and did not allow the USA to get that control and that is why the USA always accuses China of manipulatiing their currency. The USA would like to lower the value of the Dollar, but I'm afraid it would double USA debt. The Chinese don't have that problem. They have a surplus and substantial gold reserves and 1.4 billion domestic customers. The USA is attemptiing to fight Free Trade with sanctions, tariffs, banking manipulation, economic sabotage, weaponized currency and weaponized banking. I don't think one has to be able to read between the lines to know it's not working.
/

Must be why the economy is BOOMING (first year of 3%+ annual growth since Mommy Pants took over) ; wages just took their biggest leap in over a decade (also before Mommy pants) ;manufacturing jobs are growing at a pace over 700% higher than that under Mommy Pants; just added 312,000 NON GOVERNMENT JOBS...der....ummm...duh...

Yeah, "things are terrible".

Hilarious watching the Desperate Lying Left's FRENZY to "make things bad", and when that fails miserably, to just LIE ABOUT IT, like no one can access current US economic numbers.

good fellas laugh.jpg

I never heard him say it would be easy personally.... I've heard his goals and what he thinks will be the ultimate result.... but I haven't heard him saying the transition would be easy and without any consequences at all in the interim.

.... but I wouldn't be surprised if he has, either.

I was shocked to discover that Jaguar Land Rover is an American company.

I miss journalism.

Biggest trade deficit with China recorded in 2018. While I do not think this emphasis on trade deficits are worthwhile, the context is that there is weakening in both the China and US economies and this idea that we are stronger, so we can sustain this fight is stupid because its the wrong fight.

Our real issue with China is IP theft and this tariffs war does nothing about that.

One thing this mess exposes is that Trump simply does not understand the interrelationship between world financial markets and world trade. This game is three dimensional chess and Trump can barely play checkers.

I never heard him say it would be easy personally.... I've heard his goals and what he thinks will be the ultimate result.... but I haven't heard him saying the transition would be easy and without any consequences at all in the interim.

.... but I wouldn't be surprised if he has, either.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/02/trump-trade-wars-are-good-and-easy-to-win.html

The USA controlled foreign economies for years. We trapped resources in the USA and finished the products and collected value added big time. China observed and did not allow the USA to get that control and that is why the USA always accuses China of manipulatiing their currency. The USA would like to lower the value of the Dollar, but I'm afraid it would double USA debt. The Chinese don't have that problem. They have a surplus and substantial gold reserves and 1.4 billion domestic customers. The USA is attemptiing to fight Free Trade with sanctions, tariffs, banking manipulation, economic sabotage, weaponized currency and weaponized banking. I don't think one has to be able to read between the lines to know it's not working.
/

Debt to gdp is 300 percent.

Forty percent of gdp comes from shadow banking which is beyond the control of regulators, the government, the Party. While shadow banking is called banking there aren't any banks in it or to it. It's all outside of formal institutions (which means a lot of kneecaps get broken too).

Actual gdp growth is between 2% to 4% as the economy and financial system continue to tank with no end or reversal in sight. In 2016 Beijing sold $500 billion of US Treasuries to the global market which was thrilled to haul 'em in. Beijing hustled the sale to support its RMB monopoly money the global market was depreciating after two consecutive equity market crashes during H2 of that year that wiped the middle class out of $5 Trillion and into the Poor House.

Since 2013 Xi Jinpingpong and Prime Minister Li Kejiang have been doing heavy lifting trying to move the economy from big infrastructure corruption projects to household spending on consumer goods and services yet they have literally nothing to show for their pains and efforts. So they're still looking at the iceberg dead ahead. And they know it.

History tells us also that in a trade war the debtor nation prevails over the creditor nation. That's of course USA v PRC. There are many reasons and factors one of which is that the creditor nation is the one that gets stuck holding the bag. That is because the $USD is the global reserve currency and the currency of trade. As the creditor nation China will sooner or later need to expend its forex reserves, i.e., become prostrate. This sword of Damocles over the creditor nation tends strongly to induce a settlement favorable to the debtor nation.

And the only people in the WH who hate the eternal and profound racism of the Chinese more than Trump does are all of his China advisors. Every one of 'em, most of whom were recruited by Jared Kushner during the campaign. We have indeed seen publicly for more than two years now that while Trump and his people are subservient to Putin and Russia they simultaneously hate and detest China. Which poses a dilemma for each Moscow and Beijing but then again that's their problem. The trade war is but Trump's entree against China.

Debt to gdp is 300 percent.

Forty percent of gdp comes from shadow banking which is beyond the control of regulators, the government, the Party. While shadow banking is called banking there aren't any banks in it or to it. It's all outside of formal institutions (which means a lot of kneecaps get broken too).

Actual gdp growth is between 2% to 4% as the economy and financial system continue to tank with no end or reversal in sight. In 2016 Beijing sold $500 billion of US Treasuries to the global market which was thrilled to haul 'em in. Beijing hustled the sale to support its RMB monopoly money the global market was depreciating after two consecutive equity market crashes during H2 of that year that wiped the middle class out of $5 Trillion and into the Poor House.

Since 2013 Xi Jinpingpong and Prime Minister Li Kejiang have been doing heavy lifting trying to move the economy from big infrastructure corruption projects to household spending on consumer goods and services yet they have literally nothing to show for their pains and efforts. So they're still looking at the iceberg dead ahead. And they know it.

History tells us also that in a trade war the debtor nation prevails over the creditor nation. That's of course USA v PRC. There are many reasons and factors one of which is that the creditor nation is the one that gets stuck holding the bag. That is because the $USD is the global reserve currency and the currency of trade. As the creditor nation China will sooner or later need to expend its forex reserves, i.e., become prostrate. This sword of Damocles over the creditor nation tends strongly to induce a settlement favorable to the debtor nation.

And the only people in the WH who hate the eternal and profound racism of the Chinese more than Trump does are all of his China advisors. Every one of 'em, most of whom were recruited by Jared Kushner during the campaign. We have indeed seen publicly for more than two years now that while Trump and his people are subservient to Putin and Russia they simultaneously hate and detest China. Which poses a dilemma for each Moscow and Beijing but then again that's their problem. The trade war is but Trump's entree against China.

"In 2016 Beijing sold $500 billion of US Treasuries to the global market which was thrilled to haul 'em in."

I see this as calling in the loans, not a sale. Perhaps they have lost confidence in US Treasuries or it is a shot accross the bow in the Trade War.
/

Not that Trump is doing this right (he totally isn't), but...

Why is China allowed to slap tariffs on our goods and erect trade barriers against America for decades but we can't hit them back?

That's one question no one can answer.

Who said it would be easy weening ourselves off of China?

It's going to be a slow process, moving our buisness away to other places.
Dammit this is the first time I ever agreed with a Libertarian.

America's addiction to cheap foreign labor is indeed like a DRUG addiction. We are in desperate need of detox.

Not that Trump is doing this right (he totally isn't), but...

Why is China allowed to slap tariffs on our goods and erect trade barriers against America for decades but we can't hit them back?

That's one question no one can answer.

We can hit them back, and we should hit them back

But unilaterally levying tariffs on them while also levying tariffs on our allies is the wrong way to go about it

"In 2016 Beijing sold $500 billion of US Treasuries to the global market which was thrilled to haul 'em in."

I see this as calling in the loans, not a sale. Perhaps they have lost confidence in US Treasuries or it is a shot accross the bow in the Trade War.
/

Shot across the bow in the Trade War you say. Beijing moved the $500 billion of Treasuries out of its forex reserve in 2016, before Trump got elected. And the trade war wasn't initiated until after Trump had been in office for a year. So you're firing a shot across the bow of a ship that hasn't arrived yet. Perhaps you'd better wait till the thingy gets within range before you fire off more blanks.

The buyer can't convert the Treasury to cash until the due date. I posted the reason for Beijing selling the $500 billion of US and some private corporate bonds. Beijing had to sell to prop up the RMB monopoly money the global markets were depreciating due to two successive and sudden collapses in the China equity markets that obliterated $5 Trillion. All of this occurred before Trump was elected.

Shot across the bow in the Trade War you say. Beijing moved the $500 billion of Treasuries out of its forex reserve in 2016, before Trump got elected. And the trade war wasn't initiated until after Trump had been in office for a year. So you're firing a shot across the bow of a ship that hasn't arrived yet. Perhaps you'd better wait till the thingy gets within range before you fire off more blanks.

The buyer can't convert the Treasury to cash until the due date. I posted the reason for Beijing selling the $500 billion of US and some private corporate bonds. Beijing had to sell to prop up the RMB monopoly money the global markets were depreciating due to two successive and sudden collapses in the China equity markets that obliterated $5 Trillion. All of this occurred before Trump was elected.

"
"
That settles it. Loss of confidence in US Treasuriesl
/

"
"
That settles it. Loss of confidence in US Treasuriesl
/

The problem is China itself, not the USD or US Treasuries which Beijing continues to buy to replenish its forex reserves after the sale of the $500 billion. What you don't know Fagan is that CCP Boyz in Beijing use the USD to support the RMB. Without USD of at least a billion in the forex reserve inflation in China would begin to look like Weimar.

The continued trend of selling of dollars by Beijing has taken its foreign exchange reserves to the lowest level since May 2012. However, despite a massive outflow of $513 billion during 2015, which was the biggest annual drop in history, China’s foreign exchange reserves at $3.2 trillion are still the world’s largest. With the IMF methodology requiring China to have $2.9 trillion in reserves, $3.3 trillion may not be enough if the reserves continue to fall at the current pace, landing China below IMF’s red line by mid-2016. (See also, Chinese Yuan: A 360 Degree Analysis.)

To stem the flight of capital, Beijing has put in place a number of mechanisms, from efforts to curb short selling and tapping currency speculation to the easing of foreign investment inflows into the mainland and selling dollars to support its currency.

China does have a challenging situation at hand. While the depreciation of its currency tends to boost export competitiveness, it further adds to capital flight from the mainland. Although China should be able to plug loopholes (like illegal foreign exchange activities) to curb the flight of capital while tightening capital control, a broader consensus is suggestive of a further gradual weakness in renminbi throughout 2016.

https://www.investopedia.com/articl...exchange-reserves-fall-almost-100-billion.asp

I recall you posted some time ago you volunteered to fight in Vietnam way back when. May I inquire as to on which side?

The problem is China itself, not the USD or US Treasuries which Beijing continues to buy to replenish its forex reserves after the sale of the $500 billion. What you don't know Fagan is that CCP Boyz in Beijing use the USD to support the RMB. Without USD of at least a billion in the forex reserve inflation in China would begin to look like Weimar.

The continued trend of selling of dollars by Beijing has taken its foreign exchange reserves to the lowest level since May 2012. However, despite a massive outflow of $513 billion during 2015, which was the biggest annual drop in history, China’s foreign exchange reserves at $3.2 trillion are still the world’s largest. With the IMF methodology requiring China to have $2.9 trillion in reserves, $3.3 trillion may not be enough if the reserves continue to fall at the current pace, landing China below IMF’s red line by mid-2016. (See also, Chinese Yuan: A 360 Degree Analysis.)

To stem the flight of capital, Beijing has put in place a number of mechanisms, from efforts to curb short selling and tapping currency speculation to the easing of foreign investment inflows into the mainland and selling dollars to support its currency.

China does have a challenging situation at hand. While the depreciation of its currency tends to boost export competitiveness, it further adds to capital flight from the mainland. Although China should be able to plug loopholes (like illegal foreign exchange activities) to curb the flight of capital while tightening capital control, a broader consensus is suggestive of a further gradual weakness in renminbi throughout 2016.

https://www.investopedia.com/articl...exchange-reserves-fall-almost-100-billion.asp

I recall you posted some time ago you volunteered to fight in Vietnam way back when. May I inquire as to on which side?

Your link is many years old and out of date. Your flag waving avatar to convey a paper mache imagery of patriotism tells me you are not qualified to question my patriotism. I didn't see you there. Were you in Canada or did you use the Ted Nugent underwear full of sh*t draft dodger ruse?
/
/

We can hit them back, and we should hit them back

But unilaterally levying tariffs on them while also levying tariffs on our allies is the wrong way to go about it
Trump's attack on Canada was about the dumbest thing I've ever seen in the history of trade. I dare someone to find a more idiotic example, LOL.

Your link is many years old and out of date. Your flag waving avatar to convey a paper mache imagery of patriotism tells me you are not qualified to question my patriotism. I didn't see you there. Were you in Canada or did you use the Ted Nugent underwear full of sh*t draft dodger ruse?
/
/
Hate to break it to you but Ted Nugent is a Conservative, like you.

/
/

You're the guy talking about 2016. You're trying to transpose it into the present trade war. I'm advising you in the post the economy of the CCP Boyz in Beijing makes Rube Goldberg look straightforward and the Boyz' banking system is only 60% of gdp. Shadow banking which hasn't any banks is 40% of gdp and exists outside regulating by the Party-Government. Nobody knows what goes on in shadow banking. The best way to figure the volume is for the Party-Government Boys in Beijing to add up their own gdp then compare it to the aggregate gdp reported by each province. Then to split the difference because the two sums are light years apart. So you've hitched your novahole to yet another loser that's China the same as you did when you volunteered to fight in VN. You still haven't said which side you fought for btw.

Back
Top Bottom