• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Top 5

Orion

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Provide a list of the top 5 issues that you think are the most pressing and important in our times. If you want to list less or more than 5, no problem. Some may choose to think on a national scale, others on a global scale. Feel free.

Here are mine, in no particular order:
1) Crony capitalism / oligarchic and conglomerate corporatism
2) Globalization and regionalism
3) Environmental degradation
4) Human health (as defined by the WHO: "Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.")
5) Economic non-sustainability and financial mismanagement

1) Fervent focus on internationalism and critically reforming comparisons done by a nation basis. "We're all brothers" type of perspective.
2) Reformation on current mixed-economy societies. I'm a middleground guy between restrictions and regulation regarding economics. Do a total reform to remove unnecessary, complex and useless restrictions that do nothing more but increase cost. On the other hand, ethical and equitable values should be interjected
3) Authoritarian regimes and schools of thought should be looked down upon. Individual and group liberty should be a very high concern along with social welfare.
4) Genuine pragmatic approaches to all ideologies and their implementations.
5) Global environmental and health policies to take drastic measures for big environmental crisis to preserve our future on our planet and our current measure of it. Resources should be more environmentally friendly and this should take a quick dive into. Once scientific research is adequate, the adoption rate should begin swiftly and surely regardless of short-term economic problems.

Last edited:
I don't have five.

1) Unfunded US liabilities in excess of $50 trillion. (you think the deficit is bad, you ain't seen nothing yet) That alone could cause default and bring the entire world economy into a deep depression.
2) Unsustainable use of resources (which basically covers everything else).

Just one, I think it encompasses everything. Sort this out and you can begin on everything else:

The unsustainability of neo-liberal capitalism. The hegemony of this economic model ensures: environmental degradation; the rich-poor divide that results in conflicts between ethnic groups, religions and social groups such as gays, women etc; corruption and disatisfaction between the rulers and the ruled; geo-political conflicts over supply and use of resources.

The hegemony of this model also actively prevents the consideration of alternative models by academics and intellectuals. This lack of options equals lack of hope for those who do not prosper under this system, thus guaranteeing permanent conflict.

1) my team winning the finals (it might happen again in my life time)
2) the environment (specifically in my country)
3) renewable energies (i like tall windmills)
4) saving teh fuzzy animals
5) eating something (i'm hungry)

1) Where LeBron James is going
2) Where Dwayne Wade is going
3) Where Chris Bosh is going
4) Where Amare Stoudamire is going
5) Where Joe Johnson is going

1) Where LeBron James is going
2) Where Dwayne Wade is going
3) Where Chris Bosh is going
4) Where Amare Stoudamire is going
5) Where Joe Johnson is going

As a homosexual male, I have to disqualify myself from commenting on this post. I haven't the faintest idea who these people are, but I'm going with American minority sportsmen.

1) the expansion of the class of people who are dependent on the government in the USA
2) the continued erosion of freedom in the USA based mainly on the expansion of the looter class
3) the failure of the American educational system to prepare Americans for 21st Century economic reality
and those who promote this failure so as to create more of the dependent class
4) the unchecked flow of illegals into the USA and with it those who want to destroy the USA
5) increasing efforts of other countries to undermine the USA

Andalublue said:
As a homosexual male, I have to disqualify myself from commenting on this post. I haven't the faintest idea who these people are, but I'm going with American minority sportsmen.

No worries. You still have soccer.

No worries. You still have soccer.

What's that? Do you mean football? We do indeed still have that and are currently in footie heaven, the eyes of the World fixed on South Africa.

Just one, I think it encompasses everything. Sort this out and you can begin on everything else:

The unsustainability of neo-liberal capitalism. The hegemony of this economic model ensures: environmental degradation; the rich-poor divide that results in conflicts between ethnic groups, religions and social groups such as gays, women etc; corruption and disatisfaction between the rulers and the ruled; geo-political conflicts over supply and use of resources.

The hegemony of this model also actively prevents the consideration of alternative models by academics and intellectuals. This lack of options equals lack of hope for those who do not prosper under this system, thus guaranteeing permanent conflict.

Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Ain't that the truth? Doesn't mean you have to like it though, does it?

Ain't that the truth? Doesn't mean you have to like it though, does it?
absolutely Winston Churchill I admire greatly, a very smart man in a violent time, did what he had to do in time not of his choosing.

Back
Top Bottom