• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Top 20 Highest-Paid CEOs Made $1.9 Billion in a Year. Who Made the Most.

if the "Cash" part is salary (it's the tiny greenish sliver at the beginning of each bar) then that's the salary that they pay salaried income tax on.

that's, at least, how Jeff Bezos did it. his salary was $180k per year forever (and all the gobs of other money he gained was in stuff like "security/stocks/etc").

2021 the stock market went up. 2022 everyone got creamed.

No real hard point, I thought it might be of interest.

However, IMO the CEOs are overcompensated relative to the average worker in these corporations. The grey circles show the CEO compensation compared to the median employee salary. For the top compensated CEO, this number is 2,897, meaning the CEO's compensation is 2,897 times the salary of the median employee.

Further, IMO, the pendulum has swung way too far to the corporate side vs the labor side. Labor Union power is at a low ebb and corporate power is at a zenith. I'm with Bernie and Elizabeth Warren on this issue. The SC decision to treat corporations as "people" has been extremely harmful.

How much fraud is there?

The top 10 highest paid athletes made $1,454M in 2022.

1. Lionel Messi – Football – $190m
2. LeBron James – Basketball – $178m
3. Cristiano Ronaldo – Football – $169m
4. Neymar – Football – $139m
5. Stephen Curry – Basketball – $136m
6. Kevin Durant – Basketball – $136m
7. Roger Federer – Tennis – $132m
8. Canelo Alvarez – Boxing – $132m
9. Tom Brady – American football – $124m
10. Giannis Antetokounmpo – Basketball – $118m

The top 10 highest paid entertainers made $2,725M in 2022.

1. Peter Jackson • $580m
2. Bruce Springsteen • $435m
3. Jay-Z • $340m
4. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson • $270m
5. Kanye West • $235m
6. Trey Parker and Matt Stone • $210m
7. Paul Simon • $200m
8. Tyler Perry • $165m
9. Ryan Tedder • $160m
10. Bob Dylan • $130m

Last edited:
No real hard point, I thought it might be of interest.

However, IMO the CEOs are overcompensated relative to the average worker in these corporations. The grey circles show the CEO compensation compared to the median employee salary. For the top compensated CEO, this number is 2,897, meaning the CEO's compensation is 2,897 times the salary of the median employee.

Further, IMO, the pendulum has swung way too far to the corporate side vs the labor side. Labor Union power is at a low ebb and corporate power is at a zenith. I'm with Bernie and Elizabeth Warren on this issue. The SC decision to treat corporations as "people" has been extremely harmful.

Ok, well you posted in political discussion. When starting a thread, it is best to express your own thoughts in your own words.

I dont think CEOs are overcompensated. The average worker is replaceable and not responsible for anything but a tiny part of the business. Think the guy who delivers mail, or the diversity trainer.

The CEO is responsible for the entire business, from hiring to accounting to marketing to legal issues, govt regulation, stockholder relations, long term strategy and all of those average workers actions. Kern made 150m almost entirely in stocks granted last year. EXPE made 3bn gross profit just last quarter. Hes probably underpaid. Theres not a lot of people who can CEO a massive company with 25000 employees throughout the entire world, with billions on the balance sheet.

Wages are determined by supply and demand. There is lots of demand for high end CEOs, little supply.

The top 10 highest paid athletes made $1,454M in 2022.

1. Lionel Messi – Football – $190m
2. LeBron James – Basketball – $178m
3. Cristiano Ronaldo – Football – $169m
4. Neymar – Football – $139m
5. Stephen Curry – Basketball – $136m
6. Kevin Durant – Basketball – $136m
7. Roger Federer – Tennis – $132m
8. Canelo Alvarez – Boxing – $132m
9. Tom Brady – American football – $124m
10. Giannis Antetokounmpo – Basketball – $118m

Tom Cruise made over 100 million, but he does do some of his own stunts. Whose jobs is harder, CEO, athlete, actor? Who generate more wealth for everyone else? Amazon or Paramount or the Buccaneers?

Ok, well you posted in political discussion. When starting a thread, it is best to express your own thoughts in your own words.

I dont think CEOs are overcompensated. The average worker is replaceable and not responsible for anything but a tiny part of the business. Think the guy who delivers mail, or the diversity trainer.

The CEO is responsible for the entire business, from hiring to accounting to marketing to legal issues, govt regulation, stockholder relations, long term strategy and all of those average workers actions. Kern made 150m almost entirely in stocks granted last year. EXPE made 3bn gross profit just last quarter. Hes probably underpaid. Theres not a lot of people who can CEO a massive company with 25000 employees throughout the entire world, with billions on the balance sheet.

Wages are determined by supply and demand. There is lots of demand for high end CEOs, little supply.
Horsebullshit to the max, in general they are waaaaaay overpaid. If you actually think the average ceo has any idea about hiring, accounting, marketing or legal issues, government regulations and all the other stuff you mention, you are thoroughly deceiving yourself.

Corporations the size of which we are speaking have department heads for all that stuff just like the president of the united states and a smart ceo listens to his people and then makes the final decision and then on to the private jet to go play golf at Pebble Beach.

Tell you what, give me a five year contract to any of the fortune 500 companies and in two years I'll show you numbers like nobody has ever seen. In three years I'll double the stock price.

If you all didn't keep buying your iPhones and your Starbucks lattes you could be a billionaire too. All you have to do is make almost as much money in a year as the average American makes over their entire working life and save all of it and then do that for 14 lifetimes.
1675180310904.png

Tom Cruise made over 100 million, but he does do some of his own stunts. Whose jobs is harder, CEO, athlete, actor? Who generate more wealth for everyone else? Amazon or Paramount or the Buccaneers?
I haven't a clue, none of them generated any wealth for me.

if the "Cash" part is salary (it's the tiny greenish sliver at the beginning of each bar) then that's the salary that they pay salaried income tax on.

that's, at least, how Jeff Bezos did it. his salary was $180k per year forever (and all the gobs of other money he gained was in stuff like "security/stocks/etc").
That's still taxable but at the lower cap gains rate.

Horsebullshit to the max, in general they are waaaaaay overpaid. If you actually think the average ceo has any idea about hiring, accounting, marketing or legal issues, government regulations and all the other stuff you mention, you are thoroughly deceiving yourself.

Corporations the size of which we are speaking have department heads for all that stuff just like the president of the united states and a smart ceo listens to his people and then makes the final decision and then on to the private jet to go play golf at Pebble Beach.

Tell you what, give me a five year contract to any of the fortune 500 companies and in two years I'll show you numbers like nobody has ever seen. In three years I'll double the stock price.
what is your skillset?
education?
what boards do you sit on?
what executive positions have you held and for what years, so we can actually see the actual level of achievement that you have attained

i know a number of high level executives in companies all over the US
I was a CFO for a company that did well over 100m in sales annually
And my skillset is nowhere near what it would take to run a company like these
I could easily sit in the C suites and help.....but top dog, no way
You think it is easy.....i lived it for decades.....easy it not a word i would ever have used

and this is a problem, why?
Well, on a fundamental level wealth inequality tends to lead to societal instability. However, I would also argue it is simply immoral on its own merits and that they are taking more value than they actually produced.

You get paid if you can do what very few others can....and running a major world conglomerate takes a lot of skills
That's, true. And it does take a specific set of skills. However, for some reason people just assume that whatever someone makes is exactly what they deserve. Like some kind of self justifying circle. There isn't even the possibility that someone is over/under paid by any significant amount.

But can you explain to me...why did David Zaslav make more than double what Tim Cook made? Is it exactly twice as hard to run Warner Bro's as Apple? Twice as hard to find someone that can fill that position?

The reality is that these salaries are largely arbitrary at this point. Being the CEO of Apple or Warner Bro is equally difficult and both Tim Cook and David Zaslav are both roughly equally qualified and probably roughly equally skilled. A small group of people just kinda throw out a fairly random compensation package of stock options and so on, and based on their ability to negotiate with those people and how well the company happens to do their total compensation can vary wildly. There are probably tens of thousands of Americans that have the technical skills required to excel at being the CEO of a multinational corporation, but simply by pure chance didn't have the upbringing or the connections to land such a job.

The world is not some magical perfect mechanical clock. It is messier, more random, and far more unfair than most people would like to imagine it is.

Well, on a fundamental level wealth inequality tends to lead to societal instability. However, I would also argue it is simply immoral on its own merits and that they are taking more value than they actually produced.

They arent taking it. They are exchanghing their labor for it. Its a transaction, without which the wealth wouldnt exist. As I said, EXPE made 2bn last Q, Kern got 150m last year. He produced a lot of value.

They arent taking it. They are exchanghing their labor for it. It’s a transaction, without which the wealth wouldnt exist. As I said, EXPE made 2bn last Q, Kern got 150m last year. He produced a lot of value.
Pretty sure the people actually working produced a lot of value. Not that managerial work doesn’t produce value, just not 300x the value of the average employee.

And the biggest difference is that CEOs don’t make money from working, they make money from owning. Their actual salaries are normally kinda low. They make money from their own ship in the company from stock options and so on.

That's, true. And it does take a specific set of skills. However, for some reason people just assume that whatever someone makes is exactly what they deserve. Like some kind of self justifying circle. There isn't even the possibility that someone is over/under paid by any significant amount.

But can you explain to me...why did David Zaslav make more than double what Tim Cook made? Is it exactly twice as hard to run Warner Bro's as Apple? Twice as hard to find someone that can fill that position?

The reality is that these salaries are largely arbitrary at this point. Being the CEO of Apple or Warner Bro is equally difficult and both Tim Cook and David Zaslav are both roughly equally qualified and probably roughly equally skilled. A small group of people just kinda throw out a fairly random compensation package of stock options and so on, and based on their ability to negotiate with those people and how well the company happens to do their total compensation can vary wildly. There are probably tens of thousands of Americans that have the technical skills required to excel at being the CEO of a multinational corporation, but simply by pure chance didn't have the upbringing or the connections to land such a job.

The world is not some magical perfect mechanical clock. It is messier, more random, and far more unfair than most people would like to imagine it is.
sure....there are probably a bunch of other people that "could" conceivably run these companies

would they do it as well?

would they get the same people to come aboard and help?

the BOD and the executive committee is who put the packages together for C suite executives including the CEO's

Are you saying they are just throwing money away by not negotiating hard enough?

I dont get the issue with all of this....i really dont

Why arent you same people up in arms when movie stars sign 50m contracts for one movie that take 3 months to make?

Or athletes who sign 300m dollar contracts?

Sorry but the guy on the assembly line is never going to get "his fair share" which is what all this bitching is about i believe

If he wants more....he needs to build up his skillset, and then ASK for more....

I never was turned down for a raise in my life....couldnt ask for one in the military.....but other than that, i always got the raise when i asked

That is the issue....people dont want to ask....too afraid of the confrontations.....or that they havent done enough to actually deserve one

If you have the skills and the company values you.....you will get a raise

If the answer is no.....well then, you have the answer....and then know what to do to fix the issue

Expectations?

What were the expectation for Warner for the year?
What were the expectations for Apple for the year?

Who met or exceeded the target expectations?

It could be as easy as that....

Did Zaslav have a stock target price the board wanted him to meet? How long was the goal? So maybe this was a huge windfall payout for hitting a certain target over a certain time.

I dont own either company....but i follow my stocks, and the executive compensation they are given annually. In fact on a number of my companies, i get to vote my shares on some of the compensation ideas. Not every company does this, but more and more are adopting these as good procedures.

You would have to look closely at the annual reports, and see why the huge payouts. If anything like my companies, i guarantee, it will not only be explained, but will go through all of the bonuses paid to all of the C suite executives

Back
Top Bottom