• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

***The Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics***

Will you watch the Tokyo Summer Olympics?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Vince Hancock (Georgia, USA) wins his third gold medal in men's skeet. He not only was the first three time gold medalist, he is the only repeat gold medalist. With three Olympic titles and four world championships, he has a good argument that he is the finest shotgun competitor in history. Most Americans shoot the NSSA skeet game-which invariably requires perfection to even get in the shootoff. The much more demanding Olympic event features much faster targets, delayed release of the target, and one must start with the butt of the gun touching the crest of the shooter's hip and you can only mount the gun when the target appears. Perfect scores are few and far between.

Austria still has about 10 Gold medal chances left, even though we are not a Summer Olympics country (Winter of course).

The quality of the candidates this year is the best in a generation (20-25 years).

The next good chance to grab some medal will come today with Mountainbiking (women) and Laura Stigger.

Looks like it all got a bit much for Simone Biles. Shame but I wish her well.

puts a bit of tarnish in the GOAT label so many bestowed upon her. Japan's most famous athlete Naomi Osaka, crashed and burned as well.

puts a bit of tarnish in the GOAT label so many bestowed upon her. Japan's most famous athlete Naomi Osaka, crashed and burned as well.
Would not necessarily call Naomi Osaka thier most famous athlete. One of their big medal hopes sure, but most famous...not sure about that.

She is however the most well known Japanese athlete outside Japan.

But it is actually semi common for top athletes to not live up to expectations at the Olympics.

Would not necessarily call Naomi Osaka thier most famous athlete. One of their big medal hopes sure, but most famous...not sure about that.

She is however the most well known Japanese athlete outside Japan.

But it is actually semi common for top athletes to not live up to expectations at the Olympics.
I agree, one of the athletes I personally know is Brady Ellison, who is one of the most decorated target archers in the last decade and he so far, has failed miserably in the two team events. I believe Osaka is their most famous athlete-she won the US Open in Tennis which is the biggest accomplishment on a world wide stage of any Japanese athlete in recent history. Now, the Japanese mixed doubles team in table tennis beating the Chinese for the Gold, might well cause a bigger celebration in Japan than Osaka's grand slam wins, but in most of the world, the notoriety of winning a grand slam in the most lucrative women's sport is the highest

I agree, one of the athletes I personally know is Brady Ellison, who is one of the most decorated target archers in the last decade and he so far, has failed miserably in the two team events. I believe Osaka is their most famous athlete-she won the US Open in Tennis which is the biggest accomplishment on a world wide stage of any Japanese athlete in recent history. Now, the Japanese mixed doubles team in table tennis beating the Chinese for the Gold, might well cause a bigger celebration in Japan than Osaka's grand slam wins, but in most of the world, the notoriety of winning a grand slam in the most lucrative women's sport is the highest
Yea but Judo and Baseball > Tennis in Japan.. just saying. Hence me saying there must be others who are more famous IN Japan. I suspect baseball players are much more "famous" in Japan considering how popular the sport is. And lets not even talk about Sumo wrestling :)

Yea but Judo and Baseball > Tennis in Japan.. just saying. Hence me saying there must be others who are more famous IN Japan. I suspect baseball players are much more "famous" in Japan considering how popular the sport is. And lets not even talk about Sumo wrestling :)
I was basing it on a world level. I don't deny your claim. but I suspect that if you asked an American who follows sports in general to name a famous Japanese athlete-Osaka-who beat Serena Williams in the US Open, would be on the top of the list. Probably the same in much of Europe and the Americas

LOL Here come the lies.
Are you so upset that I school your nonsense in other posts that you feel a need to constantly lie about me? It seems to be pavlovian with you, I make a claim and you reflexively claim it is a lie even when you don't have even a shred of evidence.

I was basing it on a world level. I don't deny your claim. but I suspect that if you asked an American who follows sports in general to name a famous Japanese athlete-Osaka-who beat Serena Williams in the US Open, would be on the top of the list. Probably the same in much of Europe and the Americas
No doubt, but of I am not wrong you said "most famous athlete in Japan" and not "from"... hence my issue. Else we agree.

Biles out, mental health, give me a break.

Women's gymnastics was one of the sports I wanted to watch a lot of, but with kayaking, shooting, archery, skateboarding, 3 x 3 basketball, and swimming qualifiers on the same days, I could not simply keep the TV on all day and wait for it.

Is shes out of it?

She went full french and surrendered.

Women's gymnastics was one of the sports I wanted to watch a lot of, but with kayaking, shooting, archery, skateboarding, 3 x 3 basketball, and swimming qualifiers on the same days, I could not simply keep the TV on all day and wait for it.

Is shes out of it?

Is shes out of it?

She took herself out of the team competition after her vault. Might have been a good idea because it looked like her head wasn't into it and she could've injured herself. Hopefully she still competes in the individual.

Team/ USA won silver behind the ROC.

She took herself out of the team competition after her vault. Might have been a good idea because it looked like her head wasn't into it and she could've injured herself. Hopefully she still competes in the individual.

That did not stop Team USA from coming in second to the ROC.

i haven't been to the Hannity forum in forever. checked it just now and here's the first thing i saw, did a screenshot and immediately left.

1627439249445.png

Sure. They were probably a shoo-in for the gold with Simone's scores, though.

If the ROC is that good on its own merits, maybe not.

Simone Biles did not come to Tokyo just to compete for another team gold medal. She is there to support her teammates and help them out, then compete in the individual events.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom