• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The tiresome pro-zimmerman's "It's not illegal" mantra

It's fairly clear once you are being stalked by somebody you don't know you should be allowed to defend yourself.

I believe it's ABUNDANTLY clear it was NOT in TM's best interest to engage in a physical altercation. Would you agree??

I think of his choices that night, going home or when GZ lost sight of him, just AS Rachel Janteel's letter pointed out, he probably should have stayed OUT of sight, maybe going home? or back to the STORE?? or knocking on a DOOR? or making enough NOISE someone would come?....oh gee here's a thought, HANGING UP with Janteel and calling 911???????? , telling Janteel to call 911??? or TM's dad?

Why do SO MANY people encourage the decision to get into a fight, from which this young man ended up dead??????

The part i don't understand is that he went after the kid even though the police told him not to. Even if Trayvon Martin gained the upper hand and was attacking him, he disobeyed law enforcement by going after him. I think it's foolish to say it is ok to use deadly force when necessary, when you started it by going after the kid. I don't know if there was malicious intent or not, but what I do know is he put himself in that position even after being told not to, seems foolish to let him off the hook.

this is false and keeps being repeated....the police did not tell Z to not follow, it was the 911 dispatcher.....a 911 dispatcher is NOT the police, they are baically a person witha high school eduacatikon or a drop out with a GED, they have no authority, they just answer a phone...you dont have to obey them

this is false and keeps being repeated....the police did not tell Z to not follow, it was the 911 dispatcher.....a 911 dispatcher is NOT the police, they are baically a person witha high school eduacatikon or a drop out with a GED, they have no authority, they just answer a phone...you dont have to obey them

Not even 911, actually. Non-emergency.

The evidence strongly indicates that, whatever led up to the confrontation, it ended with Martin on top of Zimmerman, straddling him, raining blows down on his face. That may not be attempted murder, but it's depraved indifference at the very least. Martin may or may not have been in the process of actually trying to kill Zimmerman, but it's obvious he didn't care much one way or the other. The difference is a moot point if you're the one being held in a helpless position and beaten about the face and head.

My point is, the "it's not illegal" mantra is about as tiresome as the "he deserved to be beaten to death" mantra.
It's not spoken nearly as often, true, but the inference is in many, many comments.

E.g.:

"Zimmerman left his car!" (Therefore Martin had the right to beat him to death)

"Zimmerman followed Martin!" (Therefore Martin had the right to beat him to death)

"Zimmerman was carrying a gun!" (Therefore Martin had the right to beat him to death)

"Zimmerman asked Martin what he was doing around there!" (Therefore Martin had the right to beat him to death)

"Zimmerman didn't offer Martin a ride!" (Therefore Martin had the right to beat him to death)

At the end of the day, Martin had Zimmerman in a helpless position, beating him in the face and head. Martin didn't have the right to do that, even if Zimmerman were following him. Zimmerman felt his life was in danger, as any reasonable person would, and defended his life. As any reasonable person would.

Your mileage may vary. :peace

Back
Top Bottom