• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Thought Police

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The media is not the thought police, they are just the ones entertaining us with fluffy sound bites of this and that on all 6 sides of every issue so that if we should attempt to think, we cannot come to any conclusions. Too much information saturates our untrained brains, so we are worse off than if we got no information at all. So, turn to MTV instead.

Castro is credited with increasing the literacy rate in Cuba to almost 100%, but he didn't allow them to read anything and everything. What went into their school books was always supportive of his regime, you can be sure. There are some thinkers in Cuba, tho, in spite of his efforts. The proof of that is the few who can think are trying to get to the USA.

Our school books are a bit biased as well, but we do have access to alternative thoughts once we get out of primary schools. The problem with that is that most of our citizens don't get exposed to the truth while in High School, and don't pursue the truth after High School.

In order to need thought police, we need thinkers, and even our glorious education system has managed to limit the number of thinkers, so we probably only need half a dozen thought police, and they most likely are lurking among US right now. So be careful what you post!:shock:

Yes Kelzie I'm catholic but that was just one example. The message that I was trying to convey was that the media has many agendas and one of them is to bash the catholic church and that they do this by playing up the news about catholics and simply telling half-truths if it was a priest of another religion so that even when it had nothing to do with the catholics it still has a negative effect against the catholic church.

And yes kcconservitive the church did become active in trying to cover it up. What would you do if you ran a church and something extremely negative happened? I somehow doubt that you would make banners and try to keep the subject alive. You would try to forget about it and move on. Right?

goligoth said:
Yes Kelzie I'm catholic but that was just one example. The message that I was trying to convey was that the media has many agendas and one of them is to bash the catholic church and that they do this by playing up the news about catholics and simply telling half-truths if it was a priest of another religion so that even when it had nothing to do with the catholics it still has a negative effect against the catholic church.

And yes kcconservitive the church did become active in trying to cover it up. What would you do if you ran a church and something extremely negative happened? I somehow doubt that you would make banners and try to keep the subject alive. You would try to forget about it and move on. Right?

The media has one agenda: to sell. That's it. Bad news sells. Hence we have more negative stories about the war on terrorism. Big, overarching conspiricies sell. Hence the focus on the Catholic Church. I wouldn't read too much into it.

TimmyBoy said:
Don't know how or where to start this debate, so I will let this thread run it's own course. What are your views on the the Thought Police and their methods of thought control?

Lets test your idea of thought police.
Here is a quote by my favorite talk show host.

"There is a big difference between fighting for civil rights and fighting for homosexual marriage you moron.
There is a big difference for fighting for the equality of all men despite their race and fighting for perversion you idiot."
Michael Savage

hipsterdufus said:
The White House has certainly instituted a flat out, and very successful war against the press and the media.

They continually:

http://www.freepress.net/presswar/

All those things you listed (and didn't get transfered over in this quote) were done by the US government during WWII.

Maybe we need a little more of it, then we can pour it on in Iraq and get it over with.

Remember

ww2-pic-propaganda.jpg

ww1646-11.jpg

ww0207-35.jpg

ww0207-53.jpg

I long for the days, Conflict, when people like you would have been put in Jail to save you from the mobs that would try to beat you up after such a poster...

FreeMason said:
I long for the days, Conflict, when people like you would have been put in Jail to save you from the mobs that would try to beat you up after such a poster...

Yet I long for the day, freepartition, when a sycophant like you could lend a single lobe to the virtue of independent thought. Forgive me for posting propoganda that is not certified by your dependency, the pentagon.

Conflict said:
Yet I long for the day, freepartition, when a sycophant like you could lend a single lobe to the virtue of independent thought. Forgive me for posting propoganda that is not certified by your dependency, the pentagon.

Your propaganda brings defeat, mine, victory.

So....what is your purpose in life, leech?

TimmyBoy said:
Don't know how or where to start this debate, so I will let this thread run it's own course. What are your views on the the Thought Police and their methods of thought control?
Watched the news lately. They are forever telling me how to think. I'm am offended that they think I'm that stupid.

UtahBill said:
Wrong, wrong, wrong. The media is not the thought police, they are just the ones entertaining us with fluffy sound bites of this and that on all 6 sides of every issue so that if we should attempt to think, we cannot come to any conclusions. Too much information saturates our untrained brains, so we are worse off than if we got no information at all. So, turn to MTV instead.

Castro is credited with increasing the literacy rate in Cuba to almost 100%, but he didn't allow them to read anything and everything. What went into their school books was always supportive of his regime, you can be sure. There are some thinkers in Cuba, tho, in spite of his efforts. The proof of that is the few who can think are trying to get to the USA.

Our school books are a bit biased as well, but we do have access to alternative thoughts once we get out of primary schools. The problem with that is that most of our citizens don't get exposed to the truth while in High School, and don't pursue the truth after High School.

In order to need thought police, we need thinkers, and even our glorious education system has managed to limit the number of thinkers, so we probably only need half a dozen thought police, and they most likely are lurking among US right now. So be careful what you post!:shock:
I see your friends with Micheal Moore. "How can their be incosistancy in comedy?" - Micheal Moore

Have you read "Stupid White Man" yet?

FreeMason said:
All those things you listed (and didn't get transfered over in this quote) were done by the US government during WWII.

Maybe we need a little more of it, then we can pour it on in Iraq and get it over with.

Remember

ww2-pic-propaganda.jpg

ww1646-11.jpg

ww0207-35.jpg

ww0207-53.jpg

Yo well tell Saddam not to bother with another bomb cuz I'm crushin the entire world in my palm.

I don't know why I'm here in the first place, Retarted??? ya that bitch said I was born during an earthquake

stsburns said:
I see your friends with Micheal Moore. "How can their be incosistancy in comedy?" - Micheal Moore

Have you read "Stupid White Man" yet?
No, not a fan of MM, why do you ask? Did you not get the point?
Watch network news lately? A bunch of pretty faces reading the news, without the education themselves to be able to recognize the crap that it is.
Our media stopped giving us the news in a factual manner decades ago, now it is shredded into little bites, polished, packaged, and then presented to us, the manipulated masses who have never been taught to think on our own. Some of us have learned, despite the lack of effort by our education system, but what good does it do to try to make sense of it, if you don't get the truth to think about? Give us a few more generations of this and we will be as ignorant of what is going on around us as is a closed society. We will still have tons of information available to us, and pundits galore to tell us their version of "truth", but we still won't know the truth.:(

UtahBill said:
Watch network news lately? A bunch of pretty faces reading the news, without the education themselves to be able to recognize the crap that it is.
Our media stopped giving us the news in a factual manner decades ago, now it is shredded into little bites, polished, packaged, and then presented to us, the manipulated masses who have never been taught to think on our own.
Some of us have learned, despite the lack of effort by our education system, but what good does it do to try to make sense of it, if you don't get the truth to think about? Give us a few more generations of this and we will be as ignorant of what is going on around us as is a closed society. We will still have tons of information available to us, and pundits galore to tell us their version of "truth", but we still won't know the truth.:(
Um..I've been saying that?

Didn't you just say?:
Originally Posted by UtahBill

In order to need thought police, we need thinkers, and even our glorious education system has managed to limit the number of thinkers, so we probably only need half a dozen thought police, and they most likely are lurking among US right now. So be careful what you post!
Can you make up your mind? :confused: Isn't manipulation of the facts controling peoples thoughts and feelings? :confused:

stsburns said:
Um..I've been saying that?

Didn't you just say?:

Can you make up your mind? :confused: Isn't manipulation of the facts controling peoples thoughts and feelings? :confused:

You challenge the statements of others, but offer nothing of your own. Think about it.
I have reviewed all of the posts, where exactly have you said anything of substance about the subject? I see you are 20, I am 3 times that, and have 3 years of college to go along with the 40 years of experience that you do not have. I have seen the education system change from what it was when I was in school to what it is when my grandchildren are in school. I have seen great teachers quit or get fired because they taught too much, or made the students think about things that the parents did not like or agree with.
One school district even banned "The Scarlet Letter" and "To Kill A Mockingbird" because of some subtle suggestions that parents did not like.
Much has been lost over the years.

I have, in another thread, given quotes by a congressman, a president, a dictator, and a fuhrer about education. The commonality was that none of them want the majority of us to be educated. Trained, yes, to become workers, but educated, no. Public schools are not the best place to learn to think. So thought control has essentially been accomplished by the time we reach the age 18, and it was done by discouraging thinking for 12 long years.

Manipulation of the facts, or the news, biasing it, slanting it, spinning it, and saturating us with a ton of conflicting information is not controlling thoughts or feelings. It can be propaganda, or marketing, or advertising, or just plain disinformation, and may confuse or influence our thinking, but how can it control our thinking? We either agree or not, depending on our age, experience, education, and intellect and of course, personal knowledge of the subject or situation.

If you want to see a truly controlled populace, look at North Korea. All they know is what the government tells them, as they have no other sources of information.

Last edited:
UtahBill said:
You challenge the statements of others, but offer nothing of your own. Think about it.
I have reviewed all of the posts, where exactly have you said anything of substance about the subject? I see you are 20, I am 3 times that, and have 3 years of college to go along with the 40 years of experience that you do not have. I have seen the education system change from what it was when I was in school to what it is when my grandchildren are in school. I have seen great teachers quit or get fired because they taught too much, or made the students think about things that the parents did not like or agree with.
One school district even banned "The Scarlet Letter" and "To Kill A Mockingbird" because of some subtle suggestions that parents did not like.
Much has been lost over the years.

I have, in another thread, given quotes by a congressman, a president, a dictator, and a fuhrer about education. The commonality was that none of them want the majority of us to be educated. Trained, yes, to become workers, but educated, no. Public schools are not the best place to learn to think. So thought control has essentially been accomplished by the time we reach the age 18, and it was done by discouraging thinking for 12 long years.

Manipulation of the facts, or the news, biasing it, slanting it, spinning it, and saturating us with a ton of conflicting information is not controlling thoughts or feelings. It can be propaganda, or marketing, or advertising, or just plain disinformation, and may confuse or influence our thinking, but how can it control our thinking? We either agree or not, depending on our age, experience, education, and intellect and of course, personal knowledge of the subject or situation.

If you want to see a truly controlled populace, look at North Korea. All they know is what the government tells them, as they have no other sources of information.
The media can too. One of the Parent companies of the "Entertainment" industry even say it on their corporate website. Such as VIACOM.

http://www.viacom.com/diversity.jhtml

Our Commitment to Diversity

From Viacom's Diversity Councils, Company-wide Volunteers In Action focusing on HIV/AIDS awareness and youth at risk, to the upcoming launch of our new gay and lesbian cable channel, LOGO, there is a broad range and depth to the way we integrate our beliefs into the Viacom culture. We attract a diverse pool of employees by offering access to programs such as same-sex partners financial counseling, lactation rooms, childcare back-up, eldercare assistance, etc. In return, that same pool provides the creative energy that makes Viacom the leader in our industry..........................

Community Outreach

Giving back to the communities we serve – whether it's through public service campaigns, our philanthropic fund or employee volunteerism – is part of our Company's mission. Whether we're heightening public awareness of HIV/AIDS through award-winning PSAs, volunteering a day to work on community service projects or giving grants to charitable organizations, we leverage the power of our brands, our people and our audience relationships to educate and influence positive, socially responsible behavior. http://www.viacom.com/diversity.jhtml
They understand their power and influence? They really think they know what is best for YOU!

stsburns said:
The media can too. One of the Parent companies of the "Entertainment" industry even say it on their corporate website. Such as VIACOM.

They understand their power and influence? They really think they know what is best for YOU!

Sounds like an employee manual, not a plan of attack on American morals....

UtahBill said:
Sounds like an employee manual, not a plan of attack on American morals....
Just pay attention to the news and the two different "responses" to the same information.

influence positive, socially responsible behavior. So its ok for them to tell us what I should be influenced by, and tell me what is socially responsible?

CNN

Time Warner is the world's largest media company, and CNN, while a major player journalistically, is a relatively insignificant part of the company financially. CNN's $798 million in 2002 revenue represents 2 percent of Time Warner's overall revenue that year.1

Time Warner purchased the company when it bought Turner Broadcasting in 1996, making CNN part of the Time Inc. family. The company attempted a variety of synergistic opportunities between the magazines and the cable network, but for the most part found them financially and journalistically unsatisfying.2 After the merger between Time Warner and AOL, a battle emerged inside the new company over just what synergy should mean. How much did it involve active merging of content? How much was it a matter of selling advertising across platforms? How much did it involve using some platforms, such as CNN, to promote other parts of the company? Or was AOL-Time Warner better off as a confederation of parts that operated largely independently, looking mostly for economies of scale.

To some the merger of CNN and Time Inc. was empirical proof that synergy, as opposed to simple economies of scale in business, would not work. For others, it was not a repudiation of synergy, but a sign that AOL-Time Warner did not understand how the concept really worked. The first visible effort was the "Newsstand" magazine show, which suffered from the ill-fated opening show fiasco over the "Tailwind" investigation. Time Warner saw synergy as a poisonous viper after that.

The AOL-Time Warner merger, which came later, may have suffered from a lack of understanding of two different corporate cultures and the inflated value of AOL, and perhaps, as was the case in the CNN-Time Warner merger, different definitions of what synergy should mean. Similar questions emerged. Did it mean operating different units separately but looking for economies of scale? Or did it mean using media platforms to market other AOL products? Or did it mean looking for ways to sell advertising across multiple platforms. Or did it mean looking for special areas where cross platform cooperation was possible in content and marketing? Whether these failures suggest a lack of corporate understanding and planning, or a sign that synergy at least in media may be overblown, and should be more limited, is open to debate. A full treatment of this issue is beyond the scope of this report, but the issues deserve mention.

Fox News

Fox News's founder, Rupert Murdoch, likes to contend that his corporation, News Corp., is not really a major media company.3 In one sense, his statement appears valid. In terms of total revenue, News Corp.'s was a little less than half of Time Warner's in 2002 and one-eighth of all General Electric's revenue.

Yet looked at more closely, Murdoch's contention is hard to accept. In terms of media revenue alone, NBC gets only a little bit more than what Fox News does ($7.4 vs. $6.5 billion). Time Warner is bigger than both (with $29 billion in media revenue), yet that definition of media includes a lot of entertainment media that are apples and oranges.

If one looks at the world of journalism, News Corp. is perhaps more a behemoth than its cable rivals. Where G.E. has a TV network and Time Warner magazines, cable and online, Murdoch, in magazines like The Weekly Standard, newspapers as diverse as The New York Post and The Times of London, and television outlets as broadly placed as Sky News overseas and Fox News here, has influence that reaches much farther into the halls of government and opinion making in many more countries and has influenced the trend toward tabloidization in media globally more than anyone else.

The sibling Fox broadcast network and Fox News on cable are not nearly as integrated as NBC and MSNBC, although some Fox News programs occasionally air on the broadcast stations. Fox executives have expressed interest in extending the Fox News brand into such new areas as business or entertainment news.4 This would allow Fox News to copy the CNN and NBC models of spreading newsgathering costs across multiple television networks.
http://www.stateofthenewsmedia.org/narrative_cabletv_ownership.asp?cat=5&media=5

Just watch the news channells, then go to work or school, or wherever you go in your day, and people will be talking about the story on last night. I call that influnce! :mrgreen:

UtahBill said:
Our media stopped giving us the news in a factual manner decades ago, now it is shredded into little bites, polished, packaged, and then presented to us, the manipulated masses who have never been taught to think on our own. Some of us have learned, despite the lack of effort by our education system, but what good does it do to try to make sense of it, if you don't get the truth to think about? Give us a few more generations of this and we will be as ignorant of what is going on around us as is a closed society. We will still have tons of information available to us, and pundits galore to tell us their version of "truth", but we still won't know the truth.:(

Perhaps you would prefer to bring back that nazi ass policy of the "fairness doctrine," by which the broadcast stations of radio and televesion were put under control of the government in direct violation of the constitution, this led to intimidation of reporters who thought about righting something from a conservative perspective. It wasn't until after it's repeel in 1988 and eventual total abolishment by the year 2000 that the freedom of the press was restored and conservatives regained their voice.

Originally Posted by Trajan Octavian Titus
Perhaps you would prefer to bring back that nazi ass policy of the "fairness doctrine," by which the broadcast stations of radio and televesion were put under control of the government in direct violation of the constitution, this led to intimidation of reporters who thought about righting something from a conservative perspective. It wasn't until after it's repeel in 1988 and eventual total abolishment by the year 2000 that the freedom of the press was restored and conservatives regained their voice.
Care to cite any specific examples of reporters being intimidated? I'm not saying this didn't happen, I would just like to have a few specific examples on the subject to digest.

Originally posted by stsburns:
Just watch the news channells, then go to work or school, or wherever you go in your day, and people will be talking about the story on last night. I call that influnce
I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that you have influenced me. I have seen the light. You were right.............Now, wake up! Your f_cking dreaming!

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
What part of my posts leads you to believe thatthat I prefer any such thing? Perhaps you are an example of what I have been saying, that we have not learned to think, so the thought police are not needed. The government guided school system has made sheep of us, so all is needed is a few sheep dogs to steer the ignorant masses in the direction of the day as determined by the same people who made us unthinking sheep in the first place.

Billo_Really said:
Care to cite any specific examples of reporters being intimidated? I'm not saying this didn't happen, I would just like to have a few specific examples on the subject to digest.
Quote from liberal sponsored bill S. 333 concerning the 'fairness' doctrine:

A broadcast licensee shall afford reasonable opportunity for the discussion of conflicting views on issues of public importance.

now I'll refer you to the 1st amendment:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The Radio Act of 1927 ensures that anyone wanting to communicate over the public airwaves has got to recieve a government permit.

FCC summarized version of the Fairness Doctrine which was adobted by the FCC in 1949:

The fairness doctrine as developed by the commission imposes upon broadcasters a two pronged obligation. Broadcast licensees are required to provide coverage of vitally important controversial issues of interest in the community served by the licensee and to provide a reasonable opportunity for the presentation of contrasting viewpoints on such issues.

what this does is place the power of free speech over the airwaves into the hands of three government officials appointed by the president, confirmed by the senate, and given annual operating budgets by the congress.

Bill Ruder assistant secretary of commerce during the Kennedy administration:

"Our strategy was to use the Fairness Doctrine to challenge and harass right-wing broadcasters and hope that the challenges would be so costly to them that they would be inhibited and decide it was to expensive to continue."

"The fairness doctrine was in the back of everyone's mind each time they thought about covering a controversial issue or taking an editorial stand." - David Barlett president of the radio-t.v. news directors association.

And the Red Lion V New London case.

Back
Top Bottom