• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Thought Police

Kelzie said:
Nothing in the world is always anything. Especially when you throw humans into the mix.

So you believe that nothing in this world is tangible?

Billo_Really said:
Your much kinder plagiarizing my name than the other guy [figuratively speaking]. Which you may do so with my blessing. Just remember chickie, I'm not the Pope!

Jesus christ, you're not? That's the only reason I was being nice...;)

TimmyBoy said:
So you believe that nothing in this world is tangible?

Of course there are tangible things in the world. But nobody thinks the same way, so it's hard to describe truth. I might pet a cat and think: soft. You might pet a cat and think: fluffy. Are either if those wrong? No, they are both right. The truth is different for everyone, but that doesn't make it intangible.

Kelzie said:
Of course there are tangible things in the world. But nobody thinks the same way, so it's hard to describe truth. I might pet a cat and think: soft. You might pet a cat and think: fluffy. Are either if those wrong? No, they are both right. The truth is different for everyone, but that doesn't make it intangible.

One would argue that the truth is something that is objective and tangible and not subjective. People have their own subjective perceptions of what the truth is, but that doesn't make it "the truth" so to speak. It's like saying the wall is painted green when scientific tests and evidence prove that the wall is painted white. The person who has the perception that the truth about the wall being green is incorrectly arriving at what the truth really is.

TimmyBoy said:
One would argue that the truth is something that is objective and tangible and not subjective. People have their own subjective perceptions of what the truth is, but that doesn't make it "the truth" so to speak. It's like saying the wall is painted green when scientific tests and evidence prove that the wall is painted white. The person who has the perception that the truth about the wall being green is incorrectly arriving at what the truth really is.

Is there only one shade of green though? We're not talking about lies here. We're talking about different shades of the truth.

Originally Posted by Kelzie
Jesus christ, you're not? That's the only reason I was being nice
Oh yeah! Well, bring it, bi...........I'm mean, Miss Mod.

And get out of my head (although my brain cell could use the company), you're interrupting my train of thought.

Billo_Really said:
Oh yeah! Well, bring it, bi...........I'm mean, Miss Mod.

And get out of my head (although my brain cell could use the company), you're interrupting my train of thought.

Still trying to figure out who's brain washing you, huh? :lol:

Originally Posted by Kelzie:
Still trying to figure out who's brain washing you, huh?
Nobody washes my massive brain. Uh Oh, I think I'm in trouble.

Kelzie said:
Still trying to figure out who's brain washing you, huh? :lol:

YOU are brainwashing us Kelzie, it's YOU!

There has to be a difference between mind-control and trying to persuade people. A mind-control regime would not give you access to alternative points of view. So long as we have this forum, we're safe.

Connecticutter said:
There has to be a difference between mind-control and trying to persuade people. A mind-control regime would not give you access to alternative points of view. So long as we have this forum, we're safe.

I don't buy that. I can name one example off the top of my head where the American people had their thoughts and perceptions controlled. Honestly speaking, I do not view the US as a free country. It is perhaps one of the better countries to live in, but it is not a free country. Really, I can't think of any free countries to be honest.

TimmyBoy said:
I don't buy that. I can name one example off the top of my head where the American people had their thoughts and perceptions controlled. Honestly speaking, I do not view the US as a free country. It is perhaps one of the better countries to live in, but it is not a free country. Really, I can't think of any free countries to be honest.

How are our thoughts being controlled? I find that I can say anything I want without consequence. I can also listen to anyone without consequence. We're not prerfect, but where's the lack of freedom that you speak of?

Let’s take another look. It's not necessarily what we see. It is what we aren't allowed to see. I would think that if our media was truly working for the people than we would see some dissenting views from major media corporations.

Do we? If we do please show me, but it seems that for the most part the "liberal" media go along with the government line.

We citizens are not given much information to make decisions with. Think about it. We are pretty much kept in the dark on most foreign policy. To find information on anything that really matters we have to spend days educating ourselves. People don't have time for that. Therefore we cannot make informed decisions. In that way we are controlled.

I say that for both the right and the left. It's not the republicans or the democrats it's the whole damn system. Yeah, we have the right to vote but it is meaningless if we can't make the right choise.

Rev

The Rev said:
Let’s take another look. It's not necessarily what we see. It is what we aren't allowed to see. I would think that if our media was truly working for the people than we would see some dissenting views from major media corporations.

Do we? If we do please show me, but it seems that for the most part the "liberal" media go along with the government line.

We citizens are not given much information to make decisions with. Think about it. We are pretty much kept in the dark on most foreign policy. To find information on anything that really matters we have to spend days educating ourselves. People don't have time for that. Therefore we cannot make informed decisions. In that way we are controlled.

I say that for both the right and the left. It's not the republicans or the democrats it's the whole damn system. Yeah, we have the right to vote but it is meaningless if we can't make the right choise.

Rev

Exactly,

I would give an example of my personal experiences in Bosnia. The American people were led to believe that American policy in Bosnia was to stop and prevent a Civil War/Genocide. It is the same way that I thought before being sent to Bosnia. When I got to Bosnia, I discovered that I had been a victim of the thought police. You see, American foreign policy was not to stop a genocide but rather to reward, appease the perpetrators of genocide and to act as accomplices to this genocide. It certainly was not a "Civil War", but the thought police has many Americans stubbornly believing it was a "Civil War."

See, the American people would never knowingly accept our government acting as accomplices to genocide, so the thought police must step in, and control the information getting to people and thus the thoughts to people in order to prevent the American people from knowing and understanding that our government, indeed was acting as accomplices to such a crime.

TimmyBoy said:
See, the American people would never knowingly accept our government acting as accomplices to genocide, so the thought police must step in, and control the information getting to people and thus the thoughts to people in order to prevent the American people fr/m knowing and understanding that our government, indeed was acting as accomplices to such a crime.

Yes, well this is'nt new at all, although it's clearly more apparent now. It goes on in every country,and it has been going on since the inception of time.

The Rev said:

Rev

dude think about it you can view any alternative and dissenting point of view you want on the net from white power fags to illuminati nut balls oh and you can get aljazeera on satellite so don't give me this b.s. about the U.S. not allowing for dissent if anything we have to many radical points of view that we have to tolerate because of the first amendment.

kal-el said:
Yes, well this is'nt new at all, although it's clearly more apparent now. It goes on in every country,and it has been going on since the inception of time.

True, but it is our responsibility as citizens to see through the deception.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
dude think about it you can view any alternative and dissenting point of view you want on the net from white power fags to illuminati nut balls oh and you can get aljazeera on satellite so don't give me this b.s. about the U.S. not allowing for dissent if anything we have to many radical points of view that we have to tolerate because of the first amendment.

Yes, but the first amendment also gives us our most basic freedoms. Without it, we'd be living in an autocracy, unable to share our views like we're doing right now on this website. Don't think of it as something that gives us too many radical viewpoints, think of it as a liberty than many other countries would die (and have died) to obtain.

vallejo said:
Yes, but the first amendment also gives us our most basic freedoms. Without it, we'd be living in an autocracy, unable to share our views like we're doing right now on this website. Don't think of it as something that gives us too many radical viewpoints, think of it as a liberty than many other countries would die (and have died) to obtain.

Who's arguing against the constitution here? Not me man I love it I was just saying that the U.S. is the antithesis to the thought police.

Think about the media about catholic priests. If some catholic priest molests a kid then the media blames the catholic church and the catholic priesthood but if a priest or minister from another religion molests a kid then their religion never comes into play just the simple fact that they are a priest.

TimmyBoy said:
I think the US is the totiltarian country Oceania that Orwell described in his book.

The White House has certainly instituted a flat out, and very successful war against the press and the media.

They continually:

manipulate the media "message" by producing propaganda, putting journalists on the government payroll and tightly scripting all public events;

dismiss all dissenting views in the media as biased and politically motivated;

undermine public trust in journalism using the right-wing “echo chamber” to sow hostility toward reporters who challenge the official line; and

eliminate access to information making it nearly impossible for journalists to investigate vast swathes of the federal government.

http://www.freepress.net/presswar/

goligoth said:
Think about the media about catholic priests. If some catholic priest molests a kid then the media blames the catholic church and the catholic priesthood but if a priest or minister from another religion molests a kid then their religion never comes into play just the simple fact that they are a priest.
Except that when the church became involved in covering it up, it became a churchwide problem.

goligoth said:

So...you're what? Catholic?

TimmyBoy said:
I think the US is the totiltarian country Oceania that Orwell described in his book.

Not only the USA but the whole "west" and their weapon is psychological:political correctness,the religion of weak fools.

Back
Top Bottom