• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The term 'Cis gendered'

I find it hilarious that you are offended by such a benign word. It's ridiculous, really. It's also a weird sense of entitlement that just makes me cringe as I read your post. It's not a "special definition", all it is is a word that describes your gender identity. Which we all have, that's not something that just the trans people over there have.

Like, why would you be offended by this, unless you have a problem with trans people?

The whole gender identity thing is way overblown. Be it the dad who freaks out because his son wants to learn how mom bakes cookies rather than how dad guts a deer, or the guy who thinks he needs to look more like Kim Kardashian than Prince William, the labeling is a bunch of crap.

People are people. If some male prefers wearing dresses and to pee sitting down, it shouldn't affect anything or anyone else. He doesn't suddenly deserve to shower with women nor does he deserve to be beaten up when he strolls down the street.

Far too broad and ambiguous. Normal what? Height range? White blood cell count? Cisgender is very specific about what it's communicating.

Your contrasting a condition with developmental normality and purpose, so there is no reason to be lost on the matter.

Apparently a cis gendered individual is one who: Believes their physical sex and psychological gender match (a masculine male - a feminine female).

??? They had to come up with a special strange-sounding term JUST to say 'male' and 'female' ??? Why so - because a small percentage of people don't identify as their physical gender in a social or psychological sense? So it's now a budding term (coined not too long ago) which attempt to PC genders down a bit?

I read the term in an article today which declared that over 70% of women who work in the publishing industry identify as cis-gender... and I had to look it up. (article here.)

I, for the record, absolutely hate that term - but never cared about it because I didn't realized it was SUPPOSED TO apply to me. Now that I know what the term means I refuse to refer to myself as something so ridiculous sounding as 'cis' anything.

And further, I believe that MOST PEOPLE don't identify themselves as 'cis-gender'. Most people don't even know what the hell it means. It didn't need a special definition before - and I think the decision to use the term is done only by people who are either trying to be unnecessarily PC or who are offended by the fact that most people don't have gender conflict issues. . . .as if it's strange and odd to be okay with what you were born to be.

the anger/fear is palpable in this OP. Why do you care? What exactly is the threat here from your perspective.

I will assume that a person's physical and psychological gender match unless notified otherwise (though I am learning that the term "gender" doesn't mean much), just as I'll assume a person walking down the street has two legs. Will there be times that that assumption will be incorrect? Yes, but that doesn't make the initial assumption an unreasonable one, and if it becomes important to know how many legs a person has or doesn't have, we'd seek out the the...uh...irregular (I'm really trying to not be unecessarily offensive so I'm staying away from words like "normal").

You can assume whatever you like X. I assume most of these as well. Don't see what this has to do with use of the word cisgender in the appropriate context being a problem?

Apparently a cis gendered individual is one who: Believes their physical sex and psychological gender match (a masculine male - a feminine female).

??? They had to come up with a special strange-sounding term JUST to say 'male' and 'female' ??? Why so - because a small percentage of people don't identify as their physical gender in a social or psychological sense? So it's now a budding term (coined not too long ago) which attempt to PC genders down a bit?

I read the term in an article today which declared that over 70% of women who work in the publishing industry identify as cis-gender... and I had to look it up. (article here.)

I, for the record, absolutely hate that term - but never cared about it because I didn't realized it was SUPPOSED TO apply to me. Now that I know what the term means I refuse to refer to myself as something so ridiculous sounding as 'cis' anything.

And further, I believe that MOST PEOPLE don't identify themselves as 'cis-gender'. Most people don't even know what the hell it means. It didn't need a special definition before - and I think the decision to use the term is done only by people who are either trying to be unnecessarily PC or who are offended by the fact that most people don't have gender conflict issues. . . .as if it's strange and odd to be okay with what you were born to be.

I'm a homo sapien whether i'm aware of what the word means or not.

Your whole post sounds like this defiant refusal to understand what the 'cis-' qualifier when attached to 'gender' is intended to indicate.

Every term we make up to describe anything is a "special strange-sounding term."

Its a good thing all these pushes to find 'tolerance' and acceptance are making people all healthy and ****.....

are you honestly comparing the creation of terms to more accurately identify someones gender identity to this kind of disfigurement? how exactly does that make any sense.

Your contrasting a condition with developmental normality and purpose, so there is no reason to be lost on the matter.

There's no such thing as biological purpose. Nature doesn't intend anything. Giraffes aren't 'supposed' to have long necks. A giraffe with a short neck is no more or less intended than one born with a long neck. Evolution is a mindless force of nature, no different than a hurricane. It doesn't 'intend' people to exist in any particular way, it doesn't intend anything.

the anger/fear is palpable in this OP. Why do you care? What exactly is the threat here from your perspective.

Y'know, this is puzzling. On the topic of transgenderism, how often are we told it's only common courtesy to refer to someone in the way they want or the way they identify? Is that courtesy not to be extended to those of us who don't want to be referred to that way? Courtesy is only a one way street?

You can assume whatever you like X. I assume most of these as well. Don't see what this has to do with use of the word cisgender in the appropriate context being a problem?

Is it not enough that I don't wish to have to identify myself that way? We're to be only cognizant of how trans folks want to be called, but we'll be called cis whatever regardless of any objections?

I find it hilarious that you are offended by such a benign word. It's ridiculous, really. It's also a weird sense of entitlement that just makes me cringe as I read your post. It's not a "special definition", all it is is a word that describes your gender identity. Which we all have, that's not something that just the trans people over there have.

Like, why would you be offended by this, unless you have a problem with trans people?

Honestly - I don't care for the term transgender, either.

Why did these things start becoming norm. They put distance between understanding people, in my view - diminishing people to gendered suffixes and prefixes. It's like Romance's bad habit of defining men as alpha / beta . . . a major wtf for me.

But moreso - I don't get how on earth it matters in regard to the content of that article.

There's no such thing as biological purpose. Nature doesn't intend anything. Giraffes aren't 'supposed' to have long necks. A giraffe with a short neck is no more or less intended than one born with a long neck. Evolution is a mindless force of nature, no different than a hurricane. It doesn't 'intend' people to exist in any particular way, it doesn't intend anything.

Sure there is biological purpose. We wouldn't have biological processes if purpose didn't exist. Blood flows through the body for a reason, the sexual organs have biological purposes, and the male's brain is supposed to develop to identify as male. To sit there and say the heart is not intended pump blood through the body is something else.

Just because things like XY-chromosomes ... epigenetics ... sex hormones ... readily-observable phenotypic variations in primary and secondary sex characteristics of humans ... etc., did not exist for illiterate Bronze-aged bedouins like Jesus or for modern-century yokels like yourself, doesn't mean that they "don't exist."

Being aware of biology makes me a "yokel"? Ummmm.....ooooo-kay. :screwy

Is it not enough that I don't wish to have to identify myself that way? We're to be only cognizant of how trans folks want to be called, but we'll be called cis whatever regardless of any objections?

No, you're in the majority. People in the majority have to check their privilege and accept what comes their way.

Y'know, this is puzzling. On the topic of transgenderism, how often are we told it's only common courtesy to refer to someone in the way they want or the way they identify? Is that courtesy not to be extended to those of us who don't want to be referred to that way? Courtesy is only a one way street?

Two entirely different things. I will refer to you with whatever pronouns you prefer, whatever name you want, etc.

But the term "cis" is an academic term that describes a subset of the populous, not a term used to describe or to refer to one individual.

What a cesspool of intolerance and ignorance this thread is.

It's sad really. Education will help many, some will never be helped.

Honestly - I don't care for the term transgender, either.

Why did these things start becoming norm. They put distance between understanding people, in my view - diminishing people to gendered suffixes and prefixes. It's like Romance's bad habit of defining men as alpha / beta . . . a major wtf for me.

But moreso - I don't get how on earth it matters in regard to the content of that article.

It's just a term used to describe a subset of people. Nothing more, nothing less.

Isn't it enough that she doesn't like it? Courtesy is to be extended in only one direction? We must call a trans person exactly what they want to be called and don't you dare mess it up, but **** the rest of you - you'll be called this and your feelings on the matter are irrelevant and wrong? Is that where we're at?

It's just a term used to describe a subset of people. Nothing more, nothing less.

And her own preferences on the matter are completely irrelevant?

Isn't it enough that she doesn't like it? Courtesy is to be extended in only one direction? We must call a trans person exactly what they want to be called and don't you dare mess it up, but **** the rest of you - you'll be called this and your feelings on the matter are irrelevant and wrong? Is that where we're at?

Two entirely different things. I will refer to you with whatever pronouns you prefer, whatever name you want, etc.

But the term "cis" is an academic term that describes a subset of the populous, not a term used to describe or to refer to one individual.

. . .

But I think my irritation came from the whole article itself. I'm white and in publishing - and I have blond hair and blue eyes . . . and straight . . . ish . . . not really . . . and so that's so bad. So so so very very bad.

I'm a sinner - violating all sorts of other people's rights 'cause I became an author and then started my own publishing house.

I guess I just was pissed with the insinuation that there's something bad about what I'm doing - period.

And her own preferences on the matter are completely irrelevant?

It's apples and oranges. It would be like me being offended by the term lesbian. The term lesbian just describes that I am a woman, who is attracted to other women. It's not very descriptive of me personally. Unlike ones name and preferred pronoun usage. The two don't compare, at all.

I don't want to be referred to as a "cis" male. Will you respect that?

Huh, that's not the impression I'm getting. Didn't Spiker refer to folks who identified themselves as "cis" gendered (or however that goes).

Back
Top Bottom