• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The term 'Cis gendered'

Apparently a cis gendered individual is one who: Believes their physical sex and psychological gender match (a masculine male - a feminine female).

??? They had to come up with a special strange-sounding term JUST to say 'male' and 'female' ???

But it doesn't communicate just 'male' or 'female'. It communicates "male or female whose physical sex and psychological gender match".

It didn't need a special definition before - and I think the decision to use the term is done only by people who are either trying to be unnecessarily PC or who are offended by the fact that most people don't have gender conflict issues. . . .as if it's strange and odd to be okay with what you were born to be.

:confused: Do you have a problem with use of the word 'transgender'? How is 'cisgender' any different? As others have pointed out trans- and cis- are just latin antonyms. It's no different than heterosexual vs homosexual.

ROFL. You're cisgendered whether you like it or not. I doubt the term is going to go away. There needs to be some word to refer to the opposite of transgender.

Ok, while you're at it, we're going to need words that are the opposite of the words "insane", "quadriplegic", "deaf", "obese", etc.

But it doesn't communicate just 'male' or 'female'. It communicates "male or female whose physical sex and psychological gender match".
There is no such thing as "psychological gender".

Ok, while you're at it, we're going to need words that are the opposite of the words "insane", "quadriplegic", "deaf", "obese", etc.

We need an opposite for all conditions someone can have. We must label healthy people!

We need an opposite for all conditions someone can have. We must label healthy people!

Sane, able-bodied, hearing and "obese" doesn't have an opposite and I'd guarantee there's a medical terms for all of the above as well.

Obesity in the Western world is a category of BMI, which also includes the "underweight" category if you want to look for the most 'opposite' category.
Obesity is a BMI>30.

To me, that's what male/female means. The "regular" doesn't need to be specifically identified.

Sure, why not?

We've got "sane" and "skinny" already.

Sane, able-bodied, hearing and "obese" doesn't have an opposite and I'd guarantee there's a medical terms for all of the above as well.

Obesity in the Western world is a category of BMI, which also includes the "underweight" category if you want to look for the most 'opposite' category.
Obesity is a BMI>30.

sane, able-bodied, hearing abled, emaciated

To me, that's what male/female means. The "regular" doesn't need to be specifically identified.

Depends on context and what you're trying to communicate. If you're specifically trying to point out that a person's physical sex and psychological gender match, cisgender male communicates that but male doesn't necessarily.

There is no such thing as "psychological gender".

Like seriously did you ever have it cross your mind that you feel right as a male or that you feel right being human or think gosh, I feel right not crippled? Who in the **** other than people not right in the head even thinks of this stuff?

We must label people born with one heart.

Absolutely. People born with the correct number of body parts needs special labels applied to them.

It is a useful term when having conversations about gender identity. Outside of that context it probably isn't used much.

I am no more offended by being called cisgender than I am being called heterosexual.

We must label people born with one heart.

It's no different than saying 'heterosexual'. Most of the time male or female would suffice as most of those who fall into the category of male or female also fall into the category of 'heterosexual'. But sometimes in conversation it's convenient to be able to communicate whether the male or female in question is sexually attracted to males or females with the use of a term like "heterosexual". :shrug:

Apparently a cis gendered individual is one who: Believes their physical sex and psychological gender match (a masculine male - a feminine female).

??? They had to come up with a special strange-sounding term JUST to say 'male' and 'female' ??? Why so - because a small percentage of people don't identify as their physical gender in a social or psychological sense? So it's now a budding term (coined not too long ago) which attempt to PC genders down a bit?

I read the term in an article today which declared that over 70% of women who work in the publishing industry identify as cis-gender... and I had to look it up. (article here.)

I, for the record, absolutely hate that term - but never cared about it because I didn't realized it was SUPPOSED TO apply to me. Now that I know what the term means I refuse to refer to myself as something so ridiculous sounding as 'cis' anything.

And further, I believe that MOST PEOPLE don't identify themselves as 'cis-gender'. Most people don't even know what the hell it means. It didn't need a special definition before - and I think the decision to use the term is done only by people who are either trying to be unnecessarily PC or who are offended by the fact that most people don't have gender conflict issues. . . .as if it's strange and odd to be okay with what you were born to be.

I find it hilarious that you are offended by such a benign word. It's ridiculous, really. It's also a weird sense of entitlement that just makes me cringe as I read your post. It's not a "special definition", all it is is a word that describes your gender identity. Which we all have, that's not something that just the trans people over there have.

Like, why would you be offended by this, unless you have a problem with trans people?

ROFL. You're cisgendered whether you like it or not. I doubt the term is going to go away. There needs to be some word to refer to the opposite of transgender.
There is. Normal.

It's no different than saying 'heterosexual'. Most of the time male or female would suffice as most of those who fall into the category of male or female also fall into the category of 'heterosexual'. But sometimes in conversation it's convenient to be able to communicate whether the male or female in question is sexually attracted to males or females with the use of a term like "heterosexual". :shrug:

Normal. The term already existed.

There already is, male and female. There is no opposite of something which doesn't exist.
Just because things like XY-chromosomes ... epigenetics ... sex hormones ... readily-observable phenotypic variations in primary and secondary sex characteristics of humans ... etc., did not exist for illiterate Bronze-aged bedouins like Jesus or for modern-century yokels like yourself, doesn't mean that they "don't exist."

Depends on context and what you're trying to communicate. If you're specifically trying to point out that a person's physical sex and psychological gender match, cisgender male communicates that but male doesn't necessarily.

I will assume that a person's physical and psychological gender match unless notified otherwise (though I am learning that the term "gender" doesn't mean much), just as I'll assume a person walking down the street has two legs. Will there be times that that assumption will be incorrect? Yes, but that doesn't make the initial assumption an unreasonable one, and if it becomes important to know how many legs a person has or doesn't have, we'd seek out the the...uh...irregular (I'm really trying to not be unecessarily offensive so I'm staying away from words like "normal").

Trans people are perfectly normal.

Sure, if normal includes people suffering from developmental issues caused by hormone imbalance in the womb. Lol

Normal. The term already existed.

Far too broad and ambiguous. Normal what? Height range? White blood cell count? Cisgender is very specific about what it's communicating.

What a cesspool of intolerance and ignorance this thread is.

Back
Top Bottom