• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Ten Commandments

Logician Man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Why would the Biblical God issue a Commandment, he, himself, did/does not adhere to?

When did God murder anyone?
I didn't say he did. Some theists go with "Thou shalt not kill"---Some go with "Thou shalt not murder"---Some go with either/or----So I offered up both.

Good so you agree that God hasn't broken any of his own commandments
"Broken" is 'your' word, not 'my' word. I believe God has not adhered to his Commandment of "Thou shalt not kill", and Biblical scripture clearly validates the Biblical God has killed millions and millions, including babies.

Last edited:
"Broken" is 'your' word, not 'my' word. I believe God has not adhered to his Commandment of "Thou shalt not kill", and Biblical scripture clearly validates the Biblical God has killed millions and millions, including babies.

The commandment is "Thou shall not murder"

Why would the Biblical God issue a Commandment, he, himself, did/does not adhere to?

It isn't murder or killing with God. He is the Creator. It's His prerogative.
He can do whatever He wants with His creation.
You're not. You're just His creation.

We try to judge God based on our human standpoint - that's the problem.
Unless we grasp the concept of the ALMIGHTY GOD THE CREATOR, we'll always be wondering and asking that question.

Having said that............................... God does not kill for no reason.
It's His creation who brought God's wrath and punishment on their heads. Ungrateful, hardheaded blokes that they were.
The same thing will happen to this world. How many times have we been warned?
And, read the insults being thrown at Him. Perhaps, those folks had been the same with mocks and insults too! 🤷

Lol - perhaps, the same folks who mocked and ridiculed Him, will be the first ones to be indignant when the sky starts falling!

Last edited:
@Logician Man

The reply button isn't working on your last post.
You posted my two statement as a response:

It isn't murder or killing with God.

Having said that............................... God does not kill for no reason.

You seem to point out a seeming "contradiction" to what I said.
There is no contradiction.

The first part is a logical response.
It isn't murder or killing with God.
Why?
You edited the next sentence which explains where that statement is coming from. 🤷
You shouldn't be too quick to exclude the rest........
You left out this most important part:

He is the Creator. It's His prerogative.
He can do whatever He wants with His creation.

We try to judge God based on our human standpoint - that's the problem.

The second part is a response to the human stand point given in the OP.
If a person wants to see it as "killing," and argue from that standpoint................................. I'm saying, God does not kill for no reason.

Last edited:
Commandment #2
You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.
Does this mean the statues in a church violate this and does a crucifix as well?

God doesn't break that commandment
"Breaking" and "adhering to" ( see OP ) are two very different things. --- Exodus 22:24 ---> "And MY anger will be kindled, and I will "kill" you with the sword, and your wives will become widows, and your children fatherless."

Commandment #2
You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.
Does this mean the statues in a church violate this and does a crucifix as well?
Of course it does...

"Breaking" and "adhering to" ( see OP ) are two very different things. --- Exodus 22:24 ---> "And MY anger will be kindled, and I will "kill" you with the sword, and your wives will become widows, and your children fatherless."
the Bible is not to be taken literally-------it was inspired by God but written by men. It is not a history book per se

the Bible is not to be taken literally-------it was inspired by God but written by men. It is not a history book per se
I sure don't take it literally.

I look at it this way: The Ten Commandments are about relationships. The first four deal with your relationship with God. The last six are about relationships with your fellow humans.

Your relationships with God and with your fellow humans are key to what Jesus taught: Love God, love your fellow man. The Ten Commandments were given as a framework to accomplish this. They are not simply a checklist to be cleared or stumbling blocks to cross you up.

Which Ten Commandments are to be followed?

Ten Commandments (Ex 20:1-17)

1. I am YHWH your God; you shall not have other gods before my face!
2. You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.
3. You shall not swear falsely by the name YHWH, your god
4. Remember the Sabbath day.
5. Honor your father and your mother.
6. You shall not murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house.

Exodus 34:1 Now the Lord said to Moses, “Cut out for yourself two stone tablets like the former ones, and I will write on the tablets the words that were on the former tablets which you shattered.

Problem is - the words of 34:14-26 ain't the same as the ones you may read in 20:1-17

Ten Commandments (Ex 34:14-26)

1. You shall not bow down to another god; for YHWH is a jealous god!
2. You shall not make molten gods for yourself.
3. You shall observe the festival of Unleavened bread.
4. You shall redeem every first-born of your sons!
5. You shall observe the Sabbath.
6. You shall make a festival of Weeks.
7. Three times a year every male shall appear before YHWH, God of Israel.
8. You shall not offer the blood of my sacrifice on leavened bread.
9. You shall bring the first fruits of your land to the house of YHWH your god.
10. You shall not cook a kid in its mother’s milk.

The Second Commandment appears to be contradicted by the words in Exodus 37, when Bezalel is building the Ark of the Covenant
7 He made two cherubim of gold; he made them of hammered work at the two ends of the mercy seat; 8 one cherub at the one end and one cherub at the other end; he made the cherubim of one piece with the mercy seat at the two ends. 9 The cherubim had their wings spread upward, covering the mercy seat with their wings, with their faces toward each other; the faces of the cherubim were toward the mercy seat.

Good so you agree that God hasn't broken any of his own commandments

No evidence, no God. A “God” giving Ten Commandments to Moses on a tablet of stone is pure MYTH.

If there should be an 11th commandment - what should it be?

Back
Top Bottom