• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Ten Commandments

Why would the Biblical God issue a Commandment, he, himself, did/does not adhere to?
I’ve been told by Christians here at DP that the Old Testament stuff can basically be ignored. It’s mostly Jewish stuff. Not for Christians.

Where are the Commandments?

wait….what?

Where are the Commandments?
Wouldn't you say the 2 commandments given by Jesus to his followers would cover any and all commandments regarding morality?

“‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. The second, like it, is this: ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’" Matthew 22:37-39

If there should be an 11th commandment - what should it be?
"Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself." ---George Carlin

Which Ten Commandments are to be followed?

Ten Commandments (Ex 20:1-17)

1. I am YHWH your God; you shall not have other gods before my face!
2. You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.
3. You shall not swear falsely by the name YHWH, your god
4. Remember the Sabbath day.
5. Honor your father and your mother.
6. You shall not murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house.

Exodus 34:1 Now the Lord said to Moses, “Cut out for yourself two stone tablets like the former ones, and I will write on the tablets the words that were on the former tablets which you shattered.

Problem is - the words of 34:14-26 ain't the same as the ones you may read in 20:1-17

Ten Commandments (Ex 34:14-26)

1. You shall not bow down to another god; for YHWH is a jealous god!
2. You shall not make molten gods for yourself.
3. You shall observe the festival of Unleavened bread.
4. You shall redeem every first-born of your sons!
5. You shall observe the Sabbath.
6. You shall make a festival of Weeks.
7. Three times a year every male shall appear before YHWH, God of Israel.
8. You shall not offer the blood of my sacrifice on leavened bread.
9. You shall bring the first fruits of your land to the house of YHWH your god.
10. You shall not cook a kid in its mother’s milk.

The Second Commandment appears to be contradicted by the words in Exodus 37, when Bezalel is building the Ark of the Covenant
7 He made two cherubim of gold; he made them of hammered work at the two ends of the mercy seat; 8 one cherub at the one end and one cherub at the other end; he made the cherubim of one piece with the mercy seat at the two ends. 9 The cherubim had their wings spread upward, covering the mercy seat with their wings, with their faces toward each other; the faces of the cherubim were toward the mercy seat.
except of course, a cherubim is not a god.

except of course, a cherubim is not a god.

I agree that cherubim are not deities, they are, however, celestial beings.

The Forbidden image is described in different words depending on which translation is used.

Exodus 20:4
Complete Jewish Bible - You are not to make for yourselves a carved image or any kind of representation of anything in heaven above, on the earth beneath or in the water below the shoreline.

Douay-Rheims[1899] - Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, nor of those things that are in the waters under the earth.

Evangelical Heritage - You shall not make any carved image for yourself or a likeness of anything in heaven above, or on the earth below, or in the waters under the earth.

GOD'S WORD Translation - Never make your own carved idols or statues that represent any creature in the sky, on the earth, or in the water.

KJV - Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

NASB[1995] - “You shall not make for yourself an idol [or graven image], or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.

The Message - No carved gods of any size, shape, or form of anything whatever, whether of things that fly or walk or swim.

Orthodox Jewish Bible [Shemot 20] - Thou shalt not make unto thee any pesel, or any temunah of any thing that is in Shomayim above, or that is in ha’aretz beneath, or that is in the mayim under ha’aretz.

pesel” is any three dimensional image representing a deity
temunah” translates as 'likeness', an object that looks like any living creature or human
"ha'aretz" literally the land, but is understood by those of the Jewish faith to be "The Land-Israel"
"mayim" translates as 'water' but is normally read as 'waters', using the 'im" from archaic Hebrew to mean a plural entity.

I agree that cherubim are not deities, they are, however, celestial beings.

The Forbidden image is described in different words depending on which translation is used.

Exodus 20:4
Complete Jewish Bible - You are not to make for yourselves a carved image or any kind of representation of anything in heaven above, on the earth beneath or in the water below the shoreline.

Douay-Rheims[1899] - Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, nor of those things that are in the waters under the earth.

Evangelical Heritage - You shall not make any carved image for yourself or a likeness of anything in heaven above, or on the earth below, or in the waters under the earth.

GOD'S WORD Translation - Never make your own carved idols or statues that represent any creature in the sky, on the earth, or in the water.

KJV - Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

NASB[1995] - “You shall not make for yourself an idol [or graven image], or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.

The Message - No carved gods of any size, shape, or form of anything whatever, whether of things that fly or walk or swim.

Orthodox Jewish Bible [Shemot 20] - Thou shalt not make unto thee any pesel, or any temunah of any thing that is in Shomayim above, or that is in ha’aretz beneath, or that is in the mayim under ha’aretz.

pesel” is any three dimensional image representing a deity
temunah” translates as 'likeness', an object that looks like any living creature or human
"ha'aretz" literally the land, but is understood by those of the Jewish faith to be "The Land-Israel"
"mayim" translates as 'water' but is normally read as 'waters', using the 'im" from archaic Hebrew to mean a plural entity.

Myths. I dare you to prove any of it.

Why would the Biblical God issue a Commandment, he, himself, did/does not adhere to?
He didn't.

The Commandments were ripped from the Egyptians.

X-Moses did not bring them down from Mount Sinai, rather he copied them from the Egyptian Book of the Dead, written before 2,800 BCE, which is about 700 years before Abrahm was born and then married his half-sister Serai.

I have not robbed.
I have not coveted
I have not stolen
I have not committed wrong-doing against anyone
I have not done injustice in the place of Truth
I have not done evil
I have not debased a god
I have not done that which the gods abominate
I have not slandered a servant before his superior
I have not killed
I have not commanded to kill
I have not damaged the offerings to the gods
I have not copulated in sin
I have not been lascivious
I have not taken milk from the mouths of children
I have not neglected the days concerning their offerings

Those are just some of the "commandments" plagiarized by the Hebrews.

If the 10 Commandments are as important as people claim they are, then why didn't Jesus give the 10 Commandments to Isaac, before the Hebrews went to Egypt?

If Reuben had known about the 10 Commandments, then he wouldn't have slept with his father's concubine and lost his birth-right (inheritance) for doing so.

Why didn't Jesus give them to Abrahm? Or Terah? Or Noah? Or Lamech?

In fact, why didn't Jesus give people the 10 Commandments before Jesus was stupid enough to figure out that people (and plants and animals) were "wicked" and he had to murder them all with a great flood?

Humans are tromping around Earth for what, 500,000 years or so before Jesus has a moment of brilliance and says:

"Doh! I should give the people some commandments to live by!"

He didn't.

The Commandments were ripped from the Egyptians.

X-Moses did not bring them down from Mount Sinai, rather he copied them from the Egyptian Book of the Dead, written before 2,800 BCE, which is about 700 years before Abrahm was born and then married his half-sister Serai.

I have not robbed.
I have not coveted
I have not stolen
I have not committed wrong-doing against anyone
I have not done injustice in the place of Truth
I have not done evil
I have not debased a god
I have not done that which the gods abominate
I have not slandered a servant before his superior
I have not killed
I have not commanded to kill
I have not damaged the offerings to the gods
I have not copulated in sin
I have not been lascivious
I have not taken milk from the mouths of children
I have not neglected the days concerning their offerings

Those are just some of the "commandments" plagiarized by the Hebrews.

If the 10 Commandments are as important as people claim they are, then why didn't Jesus give the 10 Commandments to Isaac, before the Hebrews went to Egypt?

If Reuben had known about the 10 Commandments, then he wouldn't have slept with his father's concubine and lost his birth-right (inheritance) for doing so.

Why didn't Jesus give them to Abrahm? Or Terah? Or Noah? Or Lamech?

In fact, why didn't Jesus give people the 10 Commandments before Jesus was stupid enough to figure out that people (and plants and animals) were "wicked" and he had to murder them all with a great flood?

Humans are tromping around Earth for what, 500,000 years or so before Jesus has a moment of brilliance and says:

"Doh! I should give the people some commandments to live by!"
Dude, Jesus had nothing to do with 10 Commandments.

It isn't murder or killing with God. He is the Creator. It's His prerogative.
He can do whatever He wants with His creation.
You're not. You're just His creation.

We try to judge God based on our human standpoint - that's the problem.
Unless we grasp the concept of the ALMIGHTY GOD THE CREATOR, we'll always be wondering and asking that question.

Having said that............................... God does not kill for no reason.
It's His creation who brought God's wrath and punishment on their heads. Ungrateful, hardheaded blokes that they were.
The same thing will happen to this world. How many times have we been warned?
And, read the insults being thrown at Him. Perhaps, those folks had been the same with mocks and insults too! 🤷

Lol - perhaps, the same folks who mocked and ridiculed Him, will be the first ones to be indignant when the sky starts falling!

How do you know that god kills?

Back
Top Bottom