• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Teen Pregnancy Problem...

theangryamerican

Can't stop the signal...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The Teen Pregnancy Problem In Southern Colorado

Interesting read. If anything, I think it makes me more deterimed to responsibly parent my children. I don't think this is something we should have to rely on the public school system to educate our children about. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Although I think it is definitely a parent issue, I don't know if it is entirely. Too many kids these days are just that f'n stupid.

Cut off public funding to them and quit impeding Darwin's good work. Poverty just breeds poverty, and these days the only way to break the cycle is with a sledgehammer.

I think any responsible parent would take a part in their children's sex education. I mean I got abstinence only education and my father said it wasn't nearly good enough and we had the talk.

My parents didn't even give me "the talk", not in any way, shape or form... not even to talk about abstinence. The school system was fairly useless to me because there was nothing mentioned about homosexuals, anal sex, or any of it. For heterosexuals, I imagine that it's not very adequate either, given that it is all presented in a very diagnostic, diagram type way. The only person who taught me the real, non-watered down facts was my older sister. If it weren't for her, I think my knowledge would have been severely delayed, and I was already having sex as a teenager.

Interesting read. If anything, I think it makes me more deterimed to responsibly parent my children. I don't think this is something we should have to rely on the public school system to educate our children about. Thoughts?

The welfare schools are for people who can not or will not educate their own children. Anything you think is important, you should teach them yourself.

I think the biggest problem with "teen pregnancy" is that we don't acknowledge biological fact. Having sex and having babies is what teenagers are supposed to be doing; it is what their bodies are designed for and what all those "hormones"-- a term we use to try to justify the fallacy that their need for affection and sex is different from an adult's-- are telling them to do. Biologically, they are adults, and if they are not capable of acting like adults, it's our fault for coddling them for fifteen years.

Schools should be doing a better job of educating teens about sex, but that doesn't absolve parents of their responsibility either. The safest thing to do would be for both schools and parents to assume that the other is doing nothing to teach teens sex ed.

Before we address the problem of teen pregnancy I think our country needs to better grasp the fact that teens get interested in sex. We as a country need to stop being naive about this point of fact.

Also, we need to tell teenagers at the age of 13, when most teenagers because sexually aware if not sexually active, of the consequences of having sex. Not just sexually transmitted diseases, which is the usual tactic for scaring teens off sex, but also the costs of pregnancy and how society expects them not to settle and raise a child until they're much older, after they've gone to college.

A few generations ago, while teen pregnancy was a social stigma it wasn't as much of an "economic stigma" since it was expected for women to get married young, have children, and only raise them. Nowadays, women are just as expected to go to college and get a career as men are, despite their wishes regarding motherhood.

So what can be done about it? Besides giving them more of an education, I don't know.

Although I think it is definitely a parent issue, I don't know if it is entirely. Too many kids these days are just that f'n stupid.

Cut off public funding to them and quit impeding Darwin's good work. Poverty just breeds poverty, and these days the only way to break the cycle is with a sledgehammer.

So let me get this straight. You want to prevent poor teenagers from having sex by taking away money from public funding? That doesn't make any sense. At all. That won't prevent poor teen pregnancies. That'll just turn poor teens into criminals as they resort to crime in order to earn a living for themselves as their child. That won't help anything at all.

A comprehensive sex education is the answer. Get away from the abstinence only crap, and actually educate our students about sex, and how to protect themselves, and this problem will go away.

A comprehensive sex education is the answer. Get away from the abstinence only crap, and actually educate our students about sex, and how to protect themselves, and this problem will go away.

Exactly.

Some of the countries with the lowest abortion rates and lowest teen-pregnancy rates also have the best sex education AND the freest access to abortion.

Slightly out of date article at the British Medical Journal but things haven't changed much. The US and UK still have high rates of teen pregnancy while Sweden, Netherlands Japan and other countries have far fewer pregnancies and abortions.

Back
Top Bottom