• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The taboo of praising BP

Over a 700 hundred violations, and who would you trust in your back yard

Oil fields operated by BP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Onshore, and off shore

* Wytch Farm in Dorset

[edit] Southern North Sea

* Amethyst gasfield
* Cleeton gasfield
* Ravenspurn gasfield
* West Sole gasfield

[edit] Central North Sea

* Andrew oilfield
* Cyrus oilfield
* ETAP complex
o Marnock
o Mungo
o Monan
o Machar
o Mirren
o Madoes
* Erskine gasfield
* Everest gasfield
* Harding oilfield
* Lomond gasfield
* Miller oilfield

[edit] Northern North Sea

* Bruce oilfield
* Magnus oilfield

[edit] West of Shetland

* Clair oilfield
* Foinaven oilfield
* Schiehallion oilfield

[edit] Norway

* Hod oilfield
* Tambar oilfield
* Ula oil field
* Valhall oil field

[edit] Trinidad and Tobago

All fields of the Trinidad and Tobago business unit are operated from the BPTT office in Port of Spain.

* Mango gasfield

[edit] Gulf of Mexico Deepwater

The Gulf of Mexico business unit is operated from Houston, Texas.

* Atlantis Oil Field
* Holstein
* Horn Mountain
* Mad Dog
* Marlin
* Nakika
* Pompano
* Thunder Horse Oil Field
* Tiber Oil Field (announced 2009; production not commenced)

[edit] Alaska

The BP office for the Alaska business unit is located in Anchorage.

* Prudhoe Bay Oil Field

[edit] Azerbaijan

All fields in Caspian Sea are operated from the BP office in Baku. Azeri-Chirag-Guneshli, estimated reserves are 5,5 billion barrels of oil
[edit] Egypt

The Egypt business unit is operated from Cairo.
[edit] North American Gas

* Permian
* East Texas
* Arkoma
* Hugoton
* San Juan
* Wamsutter
* Jonah/Moxa/Overthrust
* Tuscaloosa
* Woodford Shale

[edit] Vietnam

Vietnam operations are run from Sunbury-on-Thames, England.
[edit] Angola

Operations in Angola are run from the BP office in Sunbury, England.

* Plutonio oilfield

[edit] Colombia

The Colombia BU is operated from the office in Bogotá.
[edit] Australasia

Operations in Australasia are managed from Jakarta, Indonesia and Perth, Australia.

* North Rankin gasfield
* Angel gasfield
* Goodwyn gasfield

[edit] Russia

Last edited:
I have better idea, why don't you tell us how many rigs BP has in operation compared to their competitors.

You go first.

Regardless of how many rigs per violation. It's the violations themselves that bring up the problem. How many issues have to occur before it's addressed?

Regardless of how many rigs per violation. It's the violations themselves that bring up the problem. How many issues have to occur before it's addressed?

Not sure about that. Every company has violations. And staistically the more rigs you have the more likely you'll have accidents and violations. That doesn't mean they are a worse company then a firm with lower number of violations.

Per rig violation shows effectively who's better at controlling accidents and violations. If company A has 10 violations and 2 rigs, they are doing worse then a company with 56 violations and 45 rigs. Sure the other company has more violations, but their rate is barely above one, where company A has a rate of 5 per rig.

True, the type is important as well, but I do think per rig violations is more important then total number of violations.

700 safety violations. Yep, they're professionals!

13 Trillion dollar violations. Yep, Obama is a professional.

13 Trillion dollar violations. Yep, Obama is a professional.

??

this is going to need some explaining for me to understand..

what is it you are trying to say? and is it relevant to this thread?

Other than watching Fox, I also watch BBC America on the satellite, and I like their view of American politics and the oil spill. They are just as objective as Fox, maybe more so, unlike CNN and MSN, which I also watch for their perspectives.

Fox is your standard of objective journalism???? wow.

I do agree that watching foreign correspondents discussing US issues is a good way to go. I also like BBC America as I do the Economist, MacLeans and the London Times.

Sorry, I will shed no tears for BP. They have not been good citizens before or after the oil spill.

Link
BBC News - The taboo of praising BP

Quote(BP has endured waves of scathing criticism during the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, but there are those who are offering it qualified praise for the work it is doing, writes the BBC's Matthew Price in Louisiana.

Whisper it, but BP is not a dirty word here in the coastal town of Jean Lafitte.)

BP has erred and erred badly, BUT it does not shirk it's responsibilities, it has from the outset repeatedly stated that it will pay for clean up costs and compensation.

Very few people from Obama downward have recognised this, instead they have at every turn sought to denigrate BP.
The problem i have always seen with regard to this denigration of BP is that every time some overbearing Politician says something anti BP, BP's share price reduces.
Any company in the world relies very heavily on their investors confidence, without that confidence a company can quite easily go out of business.
Normally when a Company loses Investor confidence, that company can and often is bought out by a competitor company, however with costs that cannot be determined that fate is unlikely to fall to BP.
So does this President and his minions actually want BP to go out of business, in fact for that matter, do the US electorate want BP to go out of business?
If BP did go out of business, who do you think would pick up the clean up costs, sure as hell it would not be those who apparently seem to want to put BP out of business, I shall let you mull over who would inevitably have to pick up that particular tab.
Now we have a Town in Louisiana saying 'look, these guys of BP are doing a better job than the guys put in place by our Government'

Quote(In the mayor's office, tucked away in a town hall that is now also home to BP's staff in this part of Louisiana, various local leaders sit around in matching light blue polo shirts.

"We're not too popular for saying it, but here BP's doing good," one says. There's general agreement.
Continue reading the main story

It could be a bonanza today, but what about the future?

Adrian Ruttley Fisherman

In recent years this town has been affected by Hurricanes Katrina, Gustav, and Ike.

"FEMA [the government agency tasked with helping in such situations] didn't even set up an office here. BP's done more than they ever did," another says.

For obvious reasons the fishermen and others whose lives and livelihoods have been ruined by the devastating oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico are cagey when asked about how the British oil company has responded to the disaster.

Few want to go on the record in expressing praise, but all along Jean Lafitte Boulevard, the main street here, people pragmatically note that BP is probably doing as good a job as anyone could. )

OK so BP has boobed and boobed big time, how about they get some praise for trying to do something with little drama compared to the endless buck passing of those placed in control by Obama?

So, if I invited a friend into my house and he destroys it and kills my dog, I'm supposed to praise him if he promises to cleans it up and buy me a new dog?

So, if I invited a friend into my house and he destroys it and kills my dog, I'm supposed to praise him if he promises to cleans it up and buy me a new dog?

Praise him no

bend over, lube up and say

"thank you sir may I have another"

Praise him no

bend over, lube up and say

"thank you sir may I have another"

That's how some would have it. Need I remind you that many Republicans have called the $20 Billion repayment fund a "slush fund" (Angle) and called getting BP to pay for the damage "a tragedy" (Barton - and let's note, he would be in charge of the House Energy Commission if Republicans take over).

But God bless poor BP. They're such the sad victims of the EPA and Greenpeace. Those poor robber-barons always having to clean up the terrible messes they make.

That's how some would have it. Need I remind you that many Republicans have called the $20 Billion repayment fund a "slush fund" (Angle) and called getting BP to pay for the damage "a tragedy" (Barton - and let's note, he would be in charge of the House Energy Commission if Republicans take over).

But God bless poor BP. They're such the sad victims of the EPA and Greenpeace. Those poor robber-barons always having to clean up the terrible messes they make.

Let's remember that there is a cap of 75 million dollars for incidences like this. BP could write the US a check for 75 million and walk away and they would be well within their legal right. You better be careful how many times you spank the child, eventually he might just walk away and leave you spanking yourself.

Let's remember that there is a cap of 75 million dollars for incidences like this. BP could write the US a check for 75 million and walk away and they would be well within their legal right. You better be careful how many times you spank the child, eventually he might just walk away and leave you spanking yourself.

And the law you point out only proves what worthless beyotches we've become to the oil companies.

And the law you point out only proves what worthless beyotches we've become to the oil companies.

Exactly. It's time the government step it up and make some needed changes. They want to drill? Well make 'em pay the consequences of any damages to the environment by new laws and much stiffer financial penalties. This is about as good a time as any as I am sure most Americans would be behind this.

Exactly. It's time the government step it up and make some needed changes. They want to drill? Well make 'em pay the consequences of any damages to the environment by new laws and much stiffer financial penalties. This is about as good a time as any as I am sure most Americans would be behind this.

Ok, lets think about this for a little bit.

You, me, all of us.....we all need oil. We can't function without it. Unless you plan on walking to work, you gotta have it. If you punish, or threaten to punish oil companies drilling in the Gulf with huge financial penalties if something goes amiss you will force these companies to build up a large slush fund to use for such a situation. Who do you think will pay for the creation of this slush fund? You and me. They'll just pass it on to us as more expensive oil and gas. We pay more at the pump. Is that what you want? If it is, then you're going about it the right way.

So you feel like you're punishing them when you're really just punishing yourself. You might want to be careful with what you wish for.

Ok, lets think about this for a little bit.

You, me, all of us.....we all need oil. We can't function without it. Unless you plan on walking to work, you gotta have it.

Yes, in today's age, we need oil. So let's change that.

If you punish, or threaten to punish oil companies drilling in the Gulf with huge financial penalties if something goes amiss you will force these companies to build up a large slush fund to use for such a situation. Who do you think will pay for the creation of this slush fund? You and me. They'll just pass it on to us as more expensive oil and gas. We pay more at the pump. Is that what you want? If it is, then you're going about it the right way.

Yes, I hope the price keeps on rising. Why? Because it's only then that people really put the focus on alternative energy. That is what I want.

So you feel like you're punishing them when you're really just punishing yourself. You might want to be careful with what you wish for.

In the last few years, I have cut back a lot of my oil dependance. I drive a lot less, and bike/walk whenever I can. I use my own shopping bags. I buy mostly organic/local foods. I do what I can, and have not felt deprived in any way. Sure, I still need oil, but if I had a choice, I would pick anything but.

BTW, do you realize the pittace of oil that off-shore drilling harvests compared to what Americans consume? It will never anount to more that just a drop in the bucket. Do you think all of the destruction this spill has causes is worth 0.02%?

Given the nature and the scope of the problem, who here is competent to judge if BP is doing a good job or not?

Given the nature and the scope of the problem, who here is competent to judge if BP is doing a good job or not?

Let alone the fact that BP has blacked out the media.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom