• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The taboo of praising BP

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
BBC News - The taboo of praising BP

Quote(BP has endured waves of scathing criticism during the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, but there are those who are offering it qualified praise for the work it is doing, writes the BBC's Matthew Price in Louisiana.

Whisper it, but BP is not a dirty word here in the coastal town of Jean Lafitte.)

BP has erred and erred badly, BUT it does not shirk it's responsibilities, it has from the outset repeatedly stated that it will pay for clean up costs and compensation.

Very few people from Obama downward have recognised this, instead they have at every turn sought to denigrate BP.
The problem i have always seen with regard to this denigration of BP is that every time some overbearing Politician says something anti BP, BP's share price reduces.
Any company in the world relies very heavily on their investors confidence, without that confidence a company can quite easily go out of business.
Normally when a Company loses Investor confidence, that company can and often is bought out by a competitor company, however with costs that cannot be determined that fate is unlikely to fall to BP.
So does this President and his minions actually want BP to go out of business, in fact for that matter, do the US electorate want BP to go out of business?
If BP did go out of business, who do you think would pick up the clean up costs, sure as hell it would not be those who apparently seem to want to put BP out of business, I shall let you mull over who would inevitably have to pick up that particular tab.
Now we have a Town in Louisiana saying 'look, these guys of BP are doing a better job than the guys put in place by our Government'

Quote(In the mayor's office, tucked away in a town hall that is now also home to BP's staff in this part of Louisiana, various local leaders sit around in matching light blue polo shirts.

"We're not too popular for saying it, but here BP's doing good," one says. There's general agreement.
Continue reading the main story

It could be a bonanza today, but what about the future?

Adrian Ruttley Fisherman

In recent years this town has been affected by Hurricanes Katrina, Gustav, and Ike.

"FEMA [the government agency tasked with helping in such situations] didn't even set up an office here. BP's done more than they ever did," another says.

For obvious reasons the fishermen and others whose lives and livelihoods have been ruined by the devastating oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico are cagey when asked about how the British oil company has responded to the disaster.

Few want to go on the record in expressing praise, but all along Jean Lafitte Boulevard, the main street here, people pragmatically note that BP is probably doing as good a job as anyone could. )

OK so BP has boobed and boobed big time, how about they get some praise for trying to do something with little drama compared to the endless buck passing of those placed in control by Obama?

BP has done a much better job than Obama.

Other than watching Fox, I also watch BBC America on the satellite, and I like their view of American politics and the oil spill. They are just as objective as Fox, maybe more so, unlike CNN and MSN, which I also watch for their perspectives.

Other than watching Fox, I also watch BBC America on the satellite, and I like their view of American politics and the oil spill. They are just as objective as Fox, ...

th_d34fc96f.gif

700 safety violations. Yep, they're professionals!

Somewhat more professional than Obama I might add. How much experience did he have to become President? His professionalism is quite evident in how he is not handling the oil spill. So many nations have asked the US to lend a helping hand, but he refuses each time, while the oil keeps on belching along.

So you have a better source? I am interested. I like to look at all perspectives.

I'm just messin with ya. Google news is bestest. I used to be quite a news junkie when I wanted to be a journalist and read the same story amongst many multiple sources. Alot of the time you find copy and paste but jumping from country to country the differing views on things is pretty interesting.

I'm just messin with ya. Google news is bestest. I used to be quite a news junkie when I wanted to be a journalist and read the same story amongst many multiple sources. Alot of the time you find copy and paste but jumping from country to country the differing views on things is pretty interesting.

Well that we agree on. I got banned from Hannity's website for daring to ask some ponted questions that the moderators on that site didn't like anybody asking. These questions had to do with Fox News using old footage to inflate the numbers present at some of the Teaparty rallies. I don't like exaggeration whether it comes from the left or the right.

If people are being helped out properly by BP have a personal view that's positive- that's fine. I have no problems with that.

But while the spill is still GOING ON and while they're still investigating and uncovering all the BULL**** - I won't be saying "yeah, they're doing a great job!" . . . I'll save to possible (and highly unlikely) words for the FUTURE when this is the PAST.

Getting back to BP, they have a tough task ahead of them, but the reason they were drilling so deep and so far out was because of the environmental restrictions placed on them to protect the pristine environment close to shore. Well, guess those restrictions contributed to this oil disaster.

Anybody think BP's feet will be held to the the fire to reimburse the strippers and hookers losing money from the loss of the fishing industry?

Yes I quite agree with what you are implying, BP has never payed much attention to Rules and Regulations, very likely they will be severely punished for this incident (and I for one sincerely hope they are) but for them to be punished by being compellled to go bust is to my way of thinking, simply absurd.
In order to pay all the clean up costs as well as all the compensation as well as all the fines, it is essential that BP be an ongoing concern.
Can actually make profit.
Then these profits can be used to pay off all the costs, compensation and fines.
After which BP will have to undergo constant inspection to ensure they follow rules and regulations.

Yes I quite agree with what you are implying, BP has never payed much attention to Rules and Regulations, very likely they will be severely punished for this incident (and I for one sincerely hope they are) but for them to be punished by being compellled to go bust is to my way of thinking, simply absurd.
In order to pay all the clean up costs as well as all the compensation as well as all the fines, it is essential that BP be an ongoing concern.
Can actually make profit.
Then these profits can be used to pay off all the costs, compensation and fines.
After which BP will have to undergo constant inspection to ensure they follow rules and regulations.

BP has 200 billion in assets. They're not going broke any time soon.

If BP is doing such a good job please explain to me why people are not getting their claim money? And some are getting much less than what they should. Sure. Good job BP.

They have erred huh? They're killing a ecosystem.

These people with all of their praise are just stuck on the tit of big oil. This isn't the first big oil spill down there and sadly some of these people are begging for more.

All I can say is, after seeing the Republican brass continually defending BP, I don't think I can ever vote for one of them again. The Democrats are total ******s, never get anything done, and still take money from corporate interests, but at least they aren't a part of this free market cult where the private sector is always right.

Somewhat more professional than Obama I might add. How much experience did he have to become President? His professionalism is quite evident in how he is not handling the oil spill. So many nations have asked the US to lend a helping hand, but he refuses each time, while the oil keeps on belching along.

this thread is about bp, not obama.

They have more equipment in the water. Of course they're going to get more dings. Do you have any idea how many of those gigs have a single thing to do with actual drilling? Or, are they citations because there weren't enough handrails in the right places and no wheelchair access on the rig heliport?

They have more equipment in the water. Of course they're going to get more dings. Do you have any idea how many of those gigs have a single thing to do with actual drilling? Or, are they citations because there weren't enough handrails in the right places and no wheelchair access on the rig heliport?

wow...you have your head in the sand. dings? read this: outright fraud is hardly a "ding".

BP's Dismal Safety Record - ABC News

In the last five years, investigators found, BP has admitted to breaking U.S. environmental and safety laws and committing outright fraud. BP paid $373 million in fines to avoid prosecution.

Getting back to BP, they have a tough task ahead of them, but the reason they were drilling so deep and so far out was because of the environmental restrictions placed on them to protect the pristine environment close to shore. Well, guess those restrictions contributed to this oil disaster.

its a bit of "damned if you do, damned if you dont", IMO..
restrictions are generally placed after something happens to show us the err of our general complacency. they later get dropped til the next disaster happens.
there is a valid reason for not having the city dump near the water supply, just as there is a valid reason to not drill in the middle of sensitive marine areas.
greed put them at 5000+ feet, not restrictions.

Actually over 700 safety violations.

BUT under whose leadership?

Hayward or Lord Brown?

I suggest you read up on the question I have posed, perhaps if you are honest you might arrive at a different conclusion.
Not that whoever actually heads up this Company will absolve the Company of all or any violation.

So many nations have asked the US to lend a helping hand, but he refuses each time, while the oil keeps on belching along.

We have a mojor oil spill to worry about. We can't go helping other nations right now. :lol:

Put it in perspective for us. How many violations do their competitors have?

Back
Top Bottom