• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Swiss Get It Right

The only safety law I saw in there was a requirement to store certain rifles in a safe.

Anyway, America would be well served to have a 2 year mandatory term of service, and have reservists store their assault rifle at home in a safe (active duty have immediate access to the armory).

And did I hear the Swiss get to keep their issued rifle after their term of service was up?

Thats a lot of guns to give a way.
"Sell", at cost.

A lot of veterans would love to own the exact weapon we served with. I know I would be willing to pay for mine.

Too bad, huh?

IF you read MILLER and HELLER, it is obvious that law abiding citizens should be able to own, possess and train with a M16 or M4 rifle

The only safety law I saw in there was a requirement to store certain rifles in a safe.

Do you need a license to buy a gun from a FFL?

If you sell a gun to an individual, do you need to keep a record of the sale?

Are your ammo sales recorded?

Do you need a special permit to buy a semi-auto?

Do you need a "valid weapon acquisition permit" in order to but a gun from a private seller?

Do you need to register your weapons?

Do you have to notify a "local arms bureau" when you sell one of your guns in a private sale?

And BTW, don't think I didn't notice how you don't mention any problems with their limits on semi-autos, which are the equivalent of an assault weapons ban, even though I know you have a problem with that.

Sadly my country does not believe in possible government tyranny

Do you need a license to buy a gun from a FFL?

If you sell a gun to an individual, do you need to keep a record of the sale?

Are your ammo sales recorded?

Do you need a special permit to buy a semi-auto?

Do you need a "valid weapon acquisition permit" in order to but a gun from a private seller?

Do you need to register your weapons?

Do you have to notify a "local arms bureau" when you sell one of your guns in a private sale?
Those aren't safty rules.

switzerlands success inlow crime is low poverty and high levels of gun education.

their success militarily is that switzerland has almost no standing army,their standing army is extremely tiny and the vast majority of their armed forces are militia.since switzerland is neutral,they dont need a massive army,just an army big enough to defend while the militias are called to service,which consists of most their population of able bodied people,making their defense almost unstoppable while having virtually no offense.

BBC said:
Switzerland has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world, but little gun-related street crime - so some opponents of gun control hail it as a place where firearms play a positive role in society. However, Swiss gun culture is unique, and guns are more tightly regulated than many assume.

Prof Killias was a supporter of the 2011 referendum initiative to keep all militia firearms in a central arsenal - because, he says, of the evidence provided by recent statistics.

"Forty-three per cent of homicides are domestic related and 90% of those homicides are carried out with guns," he says.

"But over the last 20 years, now that the majority of soldiers don't have ammunition at home, we have seen a decrease in gun violence and a dramatic decrease in gun-related suicides. Today we see maybe 200 gun suicides per year and it used to be 400, 20 years ago. "

Prof Killias cannot hide his anger with those in America who use Switzerland to illustrate their argument that more gun ownership would deter or stop violence.

"We don't have a gun culture!" he snaps, waving his hand dismissively.

"I'm always amazed how the National Rifle Association in America points to Switzerland - they make it sound as if it was part of southern Texas!" he says.

"We have guns at home, but they are kept for peaceful purposes. There is no point taking the gun out of your home in Switzerland because it is illegal to carry a gun in the street. To shoot someone who just looks at you in a funny way - this is not Swiss culture!"

BBC News - Switzerland guns: Living with firearms the Swiss way

The Swiss have also made significant cut to their militia in recent years with a reduction from 600,000 to around 200,000. Whilst new laws and regulations regarding the keeping of guns by ex-militia members and other citizens have also resulted in far less gun ownership and as a knock on effect a substantial decrease in the Swiss suicide rate. Furthermore the majority of soldiers Swiss don't keep ammunition at home anymore (it's kept at military storage arsenals) , and it should be noted that militia weapons are not given to me to protect individuals but to serve and protect the country as part of military service. :)

Downsizing Swiss Military Tied to Fewer Suicides

Back
Top Bottom