• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Swedish experiment of doing remarkably little about Covid-19

You simply don't have a relevant point.

dude. do i really have to carry you every step of the way???

go look at the numbers of deaths over the last month or two, day by day, for those three countries and post them. as you compile the info you'll start to understand.

dude. do i really have to carry you every step of the way???

go look at the numbers of deaths over the last month or two, day by day, for those three countries and post them. as you compile the info you'll start to understand.
Those numbers don't matter.

The test will be what happens going forward.
And the way forward for Sweden seems to be restrictions, since they are doing that now.
https://www.krisinformation.se/en/h...-the-new-coronavirus/restriktioner-och-forbud

Not as many restrictions as Finland had in April and May, and Finland still have some more restrictions (mainly travel bans and the "restaurants and bars has to close at midnight" rule). But otherwise these restrictions are about the same as Sweden's Scandinavian neighbors.

It's just a fact. The debate has moved on. You need to catch up.

yes. the master debate regarding how much "smarter" Sweden was regarding COVID (if you start from a certain date).

the problem is, even if you start at the new magical "start" date, THEY ARE STILL WORSE THAN NORWAY AND FINLAND.

damn. this is a total waste of my time because you won't actually go look at the numbers. let me spoon feed yet another person who is allergic to math...

Deaths in the last ~ two weeks...
20 - Sweden
10 - Norway
5 - Finland

yes. the master debate regarding how much "smarter" Sweden was regarding COVID (if you start from a certain date).

the problem is, even if you start at the new magical "start" date, THEY ARE STILL WORSE THAN NORWAY AND FINLAND.

damn. this is a total waste of my time because you won't actually go look at the numbers. let me spoon feed yet another person who is allergic to math...

20 - Sweden
10 - Norway
5 - Finland
Considering Sweden has a larger population that isn't so bad. As I had said, Sweden right now is doing as well as her neighbors, but Sweden right now also has restrictions.

Considering Sweden has a larger population that isn't so bad. As I had said, Sweden right now is doing as well as her neighbors, but Sweden right now also has restrictions.

if you add Norway and Finland together the population is almost exactly what Sweden is...

COVID Deaths...
5,893 - Sweden
618 - Norway AND Finland

20 - Sweden
15 - Norway AND Finland

And the way forward for Sweden seems to be restrictions, since they are doing that now.
https://www.krisinformation.se/en/h...-the-new-coronavirus/restriktioner-och-forbud

Not as many restrictions as Finland had in April and May, and Finland still have some more restrictions (mainly travel bans and the "restaurants and bars has to close at midnight" rule). But otherwise these restrictions are about the same as Sweden's Scandinavian neighbors.
Story on Sweden was just featured on the morning news. Theme was to contrast Sweden's "light touch" with others.

20 - Sweden
10 - Norway
5 - Finland
Sweden's population roughly equals Finland and Norway combined, and has more urban concentration, so those numbers don't tell any negative story. It's a total waste of your time because you don't understand the debate.

Sweden's population roughly equals Finland and Norway combined, and has more urban concentration, so those numbers don't tell any negative story. It's a total waste of your time because you don't understand the debate.

dude. i have literally added Finland and Norway TOGETHER for you and you STILL can't do basic math. the numbers are not even close.

well, except the daily new COVID deaths over the last two weeks. Finland and Norway COMBINED are only 5 deaths BEHIND Sweden. i guess that's something to brag about.

oh, and i'm glad you mentioned population density...

25 per Km - Sweden
18 per km - Finland
15 per Km - Norway
421 per square mile - New York State

Story on Sweden was just featured on the morning news. Theme was to contrast Sweden's "light touch" with others.
The problem many are doing is seeing "Wow, Sweden is doing better now than in the summer" without putting in perspective what "better now" means (as in Sweden is now doing about as well as those neighbors that had restrictions) and why Sweden is doing better now (as in Sweden now HAS restrictions).

dude. i have literally added Finland and Norway TOGETHER for you and you STILL can't do basic math. the numbers are not even close.

well, except the daily new COVID deaths over the last two weeks. Finland and Norway COMBINED are only 5 deaths BEHIND Sweden. i guess that's something to brag about.

oh, and i'm glad you mentioned population density...

25 per Km - Sweden
18 per km - Finland
15 per Km - Norway
421 per square mile - New York State
Thank you for making my point.

The problem many are doing is seeing "Wow, Sweden is doing better now than in the summer" without putting in perspective what "better now" means (as in Sweden is now doing about as well as those neighbors that had restrictions) and why Sweden is doing better now (as in Sweden now HAS restrictions).
Sweden's restrictions remain comparatively relaxed, and the comparison was with European countries that had severe restrictions and now face a severe second wave. Sweden does not.

Last edited:
You can keep ranting on, or you can catch up to the debate. Your choice.

i'm enjoying pointing out that a bunch of you guys are horrible at math.

1601560818375.pngThe New York Times
Presidential Debate, Coronavirus in Sweden, Aleksei Navalny: Your Wednesday Briefing
Presidential debate, coronavirus in Sweden, Aleksei Navalny: Here's what you need to know.
1 day ago

Sweden’s daily virus numbers are among Europe’s lowest
As many European nations tighten restrictions amid a surge of coronavirus cases, new infections in Sweden, if tipping upward slightly, have remained surprisingly low.

The country took an unusual approach to the pandemic last spring by refusing to impose a lockdown, as its leading health officials argued that limited restrictions were sufficient and would better protect against economic collapse. Many scientists blamed that policy for a spike in deaths, even as libertarians who were critical of lockdowns pointed to Sweden as a model.

Swedish officials acknowledge some mistakes — particularly in nursing homes, where the death toll was staggering — but the country’s current low caseload, compared with sharp increases elsewhere, raises questions about whether it has found a sustainable balance — or whether the recent numbers are just a temporary aberration.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-europe-learn-from-sweden-covid-19-experience

Sweden's restrictions remain comparatively relaxed, and the comparison was with European countries that had severe restrictions and now face a severe second wave. Sweden does not.
Sweden's current restrictions are not that different than our restrictions in Finland nor the Norwegian ones.

Back
Top Bottom