• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

the Swabian trinity of lentils, spätzle, frankfurter - plus a Löwenbräu - what would you order?

what would you order?

• lentils

• spätzle

• Wiener Würstle

• Frankfurter Würstle

• Wienerle

• lentils, spätzle, Wienerle and a pint of Löwenbräu in a stein - all combined

• a pint of Löwenbräu

• a pint of Löwenbräu in a stein - a kind of stone mug

• some other beer

• some other drink

Results are only viewable after voting.
If I remember correctly, there was a domestic brand that used the Heidelberg label.
A Pabst brand? Or do you mean local to Heidelberg, Germany?

A Pabst brand? Or do you mean local to Heidelberg, Germany?
Must have been the Pabst. It was one of those I could find in the grocery store in high school. When I visited Germany I usually just drank whatever was being offered in whatever city I was in.

Must have been the Pabst. It was one of those I could find in the grocery store in high school. When I visited Germany I usually just drank whatever was being offered in whatever city I was in.
Me too. Seemed like every town and village had their own breweries - sometimes so local it was just the gasthaus in which I stayed that did their own brewing. I lived for a while in Salzburg, which is where I first had Stiegl, a large brewery, but I was absolutely blown away by the beer. On one tour, they had us taste their "export" beer to the US and I was shocked - it tasted exactly like American beer, bitter, low on flavor - but they explained, "that's what Americans prefer." It was embarrassing. A really fun place there was the Augustiner Braustube. Good stuff.

The closest I've found to true German beer here was at the Hofbrauhaus in Las Vegas, where they fly their beer in every day? from Munich. I think Cleveland's HBH actually has a license to brew there, under the stipulation they brew it exactly like they do in Munich. But even HBH's export beer can't match the "real" stuff.

Me too. Seemed like every town and village had their own breweries - sometimes so local it was just the gasthaus in which I stayed that did their own brewing. I lived for a while in Salzburg, which is where I first had Stiegl, a large brewery, but I was absolutely blown away by the beer. On one tour, they had us taste their "export" beer to the US and I was shocked - it tasted exactly like American beer, bitter, low on flavor - but they explained, "that's what Americans prefer." It was embarrassing. A really fun place there was the Augustiner Braustube. Good stuff.

The closest I've found to true German beer here was at the Hofbrauhaus in Las Vegas, where they fly their beer in every day? from Munich. I think Cleveland's HBH actually has a license to brew there, under the stipulation they brew it exactly like they do in Munich. But even HBH's export beer can't match the "real" stuff.
A few years ago I stayed in a town just outside of Frankfurt and the hotel had an excellent brewery. The town I had business in was about half an hour away on the Rhine and was big on wine. All of it was quite good. My only prior visit was sponsored by Uncle Sam and I was much younger so more interested in quantity rather than quality.

There is none of that revolting Bavarian Weißwurst in our good old Swabian combination of Linsen, Spätzle, and Wienerle! :)
Cheese Spaetzle (Käsespätzle)

Danke.

This "full Liter" idea of beer is a Bavarian idea - for Bavarians and for Japanese and Chinese and North German an American tourists.
In most other parts of Germany the half Liter or even 0,4 Liter is the norm.

In Cologne it is even typical to drink one's Kölsch out of a 0,2 Liter glass. And many of them quickly in a row.
And if you sit in front of an empty glass, the waiter may bring you a full glass again - automatically, without your asking for it.

about the beer mug:

In German-speaking regions beer mugs may be known as:

• Bierkrug ("beer mug")
  • Maßkrug or Maß (for a one-litre beer mug)
  • Humpen
  • Adlerhumpen, a tall drinking glass sometimes with covers enamelled with the double eagle of the Holy Roman Empire
  • Seidel or Seidla (Franconia, ½ litre). The term Seide is also used by the Pennsylvania Dutch in the Pennsylvania Dutch Country.
  • Schoppen (Palatinate, ½ litre)
  • Keferloher, the traditional (but non-embellished) stoneware beer mug, named after the village of Keferloh near Munich where they were originally produced
Considered collectible are traditional designs such as brewery emblems, Bavarian motifs such as Neuschwanstein or the Marienplatz Rathaus-Glockenspiel of Munich, and the colorful official annual Oktoberfest souvenir mug featuring the year's winning poster design.

The use of beer mugs is uncommon in most parts of Northern and Central Germany, and in these regions considered a Bavarian specialty.

Yesterday I enjoyed it to have my beer out of a real Bierkrug or beer mug.
Not a glass, as usual.

2 out of 5 say: a Löwenbräu out of a stein

Back
Top Bottom