• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

the Swabian trinity of lentils, spätzle, frankfurter - plus a Löwenbräu - what would you order?

what would you order?

• lentils

• spätzle

• Wiener Würstle

• Frankfurter Würstle

• Wienerle

• lentils, spätzle, Wienerle and a pint of Löwenbräu in a stein - all combined

• a pint of Löwenbräu

• a pint of Löwenbräu in a stein - a kind of stone mug

• some other beer

• some other drink

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This German lentil stew recipe is often referred to as Linsen, Spaetzle Saiten. This is a classic recipe from Swabia. Not only can you find Lentil Stew, Spaetzle, and Saiten on many menus in southwest Germany, but it is also easy to make at home.

You can buy Spaetzle in many grocery stores nowadays but be sure to make the flour-thickened lentil stew flavored with vinegar yourself.

Spaetzle is little drop noodles made with eggs and flour.

Saiten, also known as Wiener Würstchen or Frankfurter Würstel is a finely ground, thin Brühwurst or sausage which is cooked in broth or water right after it is stuffed. It can be pork, a pork and beef mixture or just beef (like kosher hot dogs). It contains spices, nitrates, and salt as well. You can also choose hot dogs or knackwurst to complete this meal.

the trinity of lentils, spätzle, frankfurter - plus a Löwenbräu​

I had all this together in a nice old restaurant or Gasthaus in the center of Heidelberg today.
Hence this topic and the poll.

I'm only scared of Weisswurst

A pint of Lowenbrau? Don't they sell that stuff by the liter? Why have a pint if you can have a liter...or two?

I'm only scared of Weisswurst
There is none of that revolting Bavarian Weißwurst in our good old Swabian combination of Linsen, Spätzle, and Wienerle! :)

A pint of Lowenbrau? Don't they sell that stuff by the liter? Why have a pint if you can have a liter...or two?
I wrote "pint" for easier understanding.
Actually I had half a liter or 0,5 l of Löwenbräu.
We are talking of Baden-Württemberg here, not of Bavaria.
We enjoy our beer by the half Liter here - and quite often no beer, but a quarter (e Viertele) of wine. :)

Anyway, I could do without the spatzle and lentils but a beer and a frankfurter is always good. I'm not so sure about the frankfurter IN my beer, however.

Anyway, I could do without the spatzle and lentils
Now, I could NOT do without Linsen & Spätzle & Wienerle - the Holy Swabian Trinity! (y)(y)(y)

German LENTIL STEW ~~~ Linsen mit Spätzle ~~~ Swabian sour lentils​

And again .....

Lentils (Linsen) with Spaetzle a German Classic From Scratch​

Now, I could NOT do without Linsen & Spätzle & Wienerle - the Holy Swabian Trinity! (y)(y)(y)
Back in the day there was a combat ration of lima beans and ham that we called "Ham and Mother****ers". It was...not a favorite. While I don't avoid beans altogether after that experience they are not my favorite...whether lentils, lima, baked, refried...whatever.

Back in the day there was a combat ration of lima beans and ham that we called "Ham and Mother****ers". It was...not a favorite. While I don't avoid beans altogether after that experience they are not my favorite...whether lentils, lima, baked, refried...whatever.
There are no beans in "Linsen & Spätzle & Wienerle". :)

Ham and Lima beans was “Ham and Claymores” in my day.

Beans and Franks was #1!

2 out of 2 now say:
  • lentils, spätzle, Wienerle and a pint of Löwenbräu in a stein - all combined​

And what would YOU order from the list? Nothing?

Spätzle is good stuff, especially with an awesome gravy.

And what would YOU order from the list? Nothing?
How would you know who voted for what?

Anonymous polls are worthless!

Now:

3 out of 3 would order:
  • lentils, spätzle, Wienerle and a pint of Löwenbräu in a stein - all combined​

Recipe:

Lentils with Spaetzle used to be considered a meal for poor people, as the protein, carbohydrates and fibre it contains make this dish into a wholesome meal yet without meat. However, things changed quickly and this "poor man's caviar" combined with Spaetzle has become a popular everyday dish for the general population.

Following the economic recovery of the 1950s, people also started to add a sausage or two to this dish, but not just any sausage – the frankfurter. Frankfurters (in Swabian: "Saidewirschtle" or "Soida") are closely related to "Wiener" sausages: long, smoked and boiled in a skin (natural gut). In some regions of Germany they also add smoked, hot belly pork – giving the dish even more "oomph" in terms of taste.

But lentils with spaetzle is only considered to be the real thing if you add a generous dash of vinegar. With this recipe, we decided to use our "Altmeister" vinegar. Its tangy, wine-like taste and delicate acidity give this dish just the right lift. But that's something all German grandmothers will know about.

My thoughts exactly - a full liter. And Lowenbrau is decent, but I'd opt for Stiegl out of Salzburg, which I believe they have in Heidelberg.

My thoughts exactly - a full liter. And Lowenbrau is decent, but I'd opt for Stiegl out of Salzburg, which I believe they have in Heidelberg.
If I remember correctly, there was a domestic brand that used the Heidelberg label.

Back
Top Bottom