• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Supreme Court ponders the right to pray on the 50-yard line

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

I wonder why some people feel the need to make praying a public spectacle.

I also wonder if this football coach would support a Muslim prayer on the 50 yard line after a game.
Or Mormon. How about a Wiccan chant?

More to the point, I wonder which way the "Right Leaning SCOTUS" will judge.

Personally, I could care less if he prays on the 50 yard line. I think it's stupid, but he has every right to be stupid.
I really don't care especially if it's a silent prayer.

However, if students/players who don't participate in the prayer are somehow treated differently because they don't participate - FIRE the bastard.
Also however, if he's actively recruited/pressured players/students to join him - FIRE the bastard.

A voluntary moment of silence is fine. Assuming it really is purely voluntary.

Seriously, why would god friggin care if you're on the 50 yard line, or sitting alone in your car, or kneeling next to your bed?

Anyone can pray anywhere, at any time, and not a single person ever has to know about it.
Why the need make it a public display?

I also wonder if this football coach would support a Muslim prayer on the 50 yard line after a game.

Personally, I could care less if he prays on the 50 yard line. I think it's stupid, but he has every right to be stupid.

However, if students/players who don't participate in the prayer are somehow treated differently because they don't participate - FIRE the bastard.
Also however, if he's actively recruited/pressured players/students to join him - FIRE the bastard.

Seriously, why would god friggin care if you're on the 50 yard line, or sitting alone in your car, or kneeling next to your bed?

Anyone can pray anywhere, at any time, and not a single person ever has to know about it.

You are free to kneel at the 50 yard line so you certainly have the right to pray. And certainly suspect that the pressure to Kneel was far greater than any pressure to pray.

Hmm… you have a right to speak or practice your religious beliefs freely so long as nobody else is present. ;)

I'd say a key point of the issue is if the coach is leading players or students in prayer. If so, that is a violation of the constitution. If it's a solo act, then technically it would not be a violation. Another factor to consider is when the prayer occurs. If it's before or during a game, then it become part of a school led event. If it's after, as the article indicates, then that becomes more of a gray area.

Last edited:

Just as in 1st A protections, the main idea is not what is appropriate, but rather what is protected?

This is a tough case to call, as the field is a public venue.

Just as in 1st A protections, the main idea is not what is appropriate, but rather what is protected?

Offhand, I suspect the prayer will be allowed. Just a hunch.

This is interesting on several levels. To my way of thinking the coach had every right to kneel and pray after the game. I don't think he has the right to extend his religious preferences to his players. Yes, in theory, the could refuse but then his role as a coach comes into play.

The more interesting thing to me is how the judges come down on this. I think it will be a huge indicator of how this court is going to play out.

Maybe I misunderstood the details. I thought these were high school football fields therefore not public.

You are free to kneel at the 50 yard line so you certainly have the right to pray. And certainly suspect that the pressure to Kneel was far greater than any pressure to pray.
Not as a school led activity.

I doubt the field is a public venue. In our area, fields can be used by the public only by permit.

It's a public school, Callen.
Oh yes, I know that ...but I meant public as in an open park somewhere. I thought prayer in public schools was prohibited...perhaps I am mistaken.

I doubt the field is a public venue. In our area, fields can be used by the public only by permit.

Yes, it gets sticky.

However it still is a public venue.

But your statement could imply that once the game is over, the staff and kids relinquish their rights to use the field. Though that enforcement would have to be universal & consistent, or it would be discriminatory.

Oh yes, I know that ...but I meant public as in an open park somewhere. I thought prayer in public schools was prohibited...perhaps I am mistaken.

My understanding is the 'prayer ban' applies to the public school official sanctioning or sponsoring prayer. Otherwise, students and others are allowed to pray as their own private activity, as long as it doesn't interfere with regular school activities.

It would appear that you are mistaken.

Prayer isn't banned in public schools.

WW

My understanding is the 'prayer ban' applies to the public school official sanctioning or sponsoring prayer. Otherwise, students and others are allowed to pray as their own private activity, as long as it doesn't interfere with regular school activities.
A schools football coach is a public school official ....no? To my way of thinking the coach isn't over his coach roll until after they do the post-game locker room talk thing. My concern is for players that may not share the same religious beliefs but feels intimidated not to leave.

A total aside but I suspect that the tolerance towards this prayer would have a different shift if it was an Islamist leading prayer on school property during school activities. Maybe that's why it's best to keep Church and State separate? We simply do not all share the same beliefs.

A schools football coach is a public school official ....no? To my way of thinking the coach isn't over his coach roll until after they do the post-game locker room talk thing. My concern is for players that may not share the same religious beliefs but feels intimidated not to leave.

I believe this will hinge on:

1] Is the prayer a private act?
2] Is the use of the field at the time of prayer readily accessible to those involved?
3] Are the actions coerced?
4] Are the actions discriminatory?

My gut feeling. AKA as a 'WAG', is the prayer will be allowed in some fashion.

A total aside but I suspect that the tolerance towards this prayer would have a different shift if it was an Islamist leading prayer on school property during school activities. Maybe that's why it's best to keep Church and State separate? We simply do not all share the same beliefs.

Obviously, if allowed, all forms of prayer will be sanctioned. As IMO, it should be.

The idea of 'freedom' is not to limit it, but to expand it. Always better to have a little too much, than a little too little.

Don't know why that would matter.

It might impact the 50 yd line's status as a 'public' place.

The public right to prayer extends to public places, not private places or places where public access is restricted.

Given that the prayer takes place after the game itself, I suspect you're right.
That might be the key: when the event ends. At that point, the coach is technically off the clock, as it were.

Back
Top Bottom