• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The superbug that doctors have been dreading just reached the U.S.[W:79]

Correct, but we do know that new classes these drugs tend to take 20-30 years to develop, we know that there is almost nothing in the pipeline, and we have a good idea of how fast the effectiveness of the current drugs is dying.

First new antibiotic in 30 years discovered in major breakthrough

Good news yes, but that in green should alarm you. As well as new studies that show that the old drugs are dying even faster than we thought.

It's a matter of priorities. This is an issue now with cancer and always has been with millions dying every year because of it. It is but a hypothetical scenario for this bacteria that might happen tomorrow or not for another 1,000 years.

It's a matter of priorities. This is an issue now with cancer and always has been with millions dying every year because of it. It is but a hypothetical scenario for this bacteria that might happen tomorrow or not for another 1,000 years.

Nope, the scientists can get you down to particular number of years from now when the current drugs will fail often enough that the bug populations will explode for sure, and it is not 1000.

Nope, the scientists can get you down to particular number of years from now when the current drugs will fail often enough that the bug populations will explode for sure, and it is not 1000.

Then I guess people should stop playing with their poop.

You lost me.

Bye.

E. Coli infection, which is the subject of this thread, is caused in the west mostly by touching feces and ingesting the bacteria. In layman's terms, it's caused by disgusting people who touch or play with their poop and don't wash their hands. In developing nations, it's mostly caused by poor or non-existent sanitation infrastructure that results in contamination of water and/or food supplies.

Ta.

Last edited:
E. Coli infection, which is the subject of this thread, is caused in the west mostly by touching feces and ingesting the bacteria. In layman's terms, it's caused by disgusting people who touch or play with their poop and don't wash their hands.

Ta.

The consequences of the failure of the bug killers has no relevance to that one form of transmission of bugs, nor any other. As you know, the failure of the bug killers is what I want to talk about, you know this because this is the only thing that I have talked about.

thus you have lost me.

Now I am really bye, gotta go to Winco, I have a big party Sat to get ready for, much as I would love to stay and argue. Also starting tonight my kids are blowing into town.

Setting aside the sensationalism for a second; it's not exactly a new problem or even new to the United States. This has always been a problem with cancer and to much more disconcerting effect. Many types of cancers can and do become immune to all chemotherapy medications within several generations of cells, which could be a few years, months, or weeks. At which time there are no more options that wouldn't also kill the patient. This includes some cancers arising from transmissible oncoviruses.

But cancer isn't "catching." E coli and MRSAs are contagious infections. I can't tell you how frightening it is to me that if Vancomycin doesn't work, an infection could be fatal.

But cancer isn't "catching." E coli and MRSAs are contagious infections. I can't tell you how frightening it is to me that if Vancomycin doesn't work, an infection could be fatal.

We're all suffering from a fatal disease.

And it cannot be cured.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tors-have-been-dreading-just-reached-the-u-s/

"For the first time, researchers have found a person in the United States carrying bacteria resistant to antibiotics of last resort, an alarming development that the top U.S. public health official says could mean "the end of the road" for antibiotics.

The antibiotic-resistant strain was found last month in the urine of a 49-year-old Pennsylvania woman. Department of Defense researchers determined that she carried a strain of E. coli resistant to the antibiotic colistin, according to a study published Thursday in Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, a publication of the American Society for Microbiology. The authors wrote that the discovery "heralds the emergence of a truly pan-drug resistant bacteria."

Colistin is the antibiotic of last resort for particularly dangerous types of superbugs, including a family of bacteria known as CRE, which health officials have dubbed "nightmare bacteria." In some instances, these superbugs kill up to 50 percent of patients who become infected. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has called CRE among the country's most urgent public health threats."

That's... disconcerting.

**** just got real

Eh, we are all going to die someday.

We're all suffering from a fatal disease.

And it cannot be cured.

Yes, every life ends in a fatality. :roll:

In the meantime, there are some who live with life-threatening conditions and who are, obviously, more vulnerable than you are and who must depend on "super-drugs" should they become infected or, more likely, re-infected. Once you have a MRSA, for example, you are more "attractive" to super-bugs than the rest of the population. If the super-drug doesn't work, you're screwed.

So to continue your apparent line of thinking, I guess it just sucks to be them.

There are a number of transmissible oncoviruses. The most widely known is HPV and, according to the CDC, just about every sexually active person becomes infected at some point. There are other, albeit far less common, transmissible cancers too. The only attribute of other contagious infections that is truly more frightening is that death comes sooner whereas cancers take years to kill someone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tors-have-been-dreading-just-reached-the-u-s/

"For the first time, researchers have found a person in the United States carrying bacteria resistant to antibiotics of last resort, an alarming development that the top U.S. public health official says could mean "the end of the road" for antibiotics.

The antibiotic-resistant strain was found last month in the urine of a 49-year-old Pennsylvania woman. Department of Defense researchers determined that she carried a strain of E. coli resistant to the antibiotic colistin, according to a study published Thursday in Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, a publication of the American Society for Microbiology. The authors wrote that the discovery "heralds the emergence of a truly pan-drug resistant bacteria."

Colistin is the antibiotic of last resort for particularly dangerous types of superbugs, including a family of bacteria known as CRE, which health officials have dubbed "nightmare bacteria." In some instances, these superbugs kill up to 50 percent of patients who become infected. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has called CRE among the country's most urgent public health threats."

That's... disconcerting.

Only go to a hospital as a last resort. They are petri dish cultures for this kind of stuff. When I was studying to be an RN they told us hospitals are crawling with pathogens.

Yeah it is. Evolution may have made us smart enough to invent antibiotics. But now it looks like evolution is going to bite us in the ass.

Naah, we just develop new antibiotics and or humans that can develop resistance survive. It's that simple. Bacterialogy 101.

In life on Earth's 4.5 billion year history, 99% of all species have bit the big one. No doubt humans will see their day.

Probably the best thing that could happen to the earth. We are like a virus that kills it's host.

There are a number of transmissible oncoviruses. The most widely known is HPV and, according to the CDC, just about every sexually active person becomes infected at some point. There are other, albeit far less common, transmissible cancers too. The only attribute of other contagious infections that is truly more frightening is that death comes sooner whereas cancers take years to kill someone.

Well, yes. And I should've qualified my statement with "most" just as you should've qualified yours with the same. Some cancers kill in mere months.

Naah, we just develop new antibiotics and or humans that can develop resistance survive. It's that simple. Bacterialogy 101.

One problem, as discussed in this thread, is that new antibiotics have not been found. My example is Vancomycin.

Let's hope it's all overblown or that the CDC is better at containment than they were with ebola.

... what was the number of people who died of ebola from an infection they received on American soil, again?

One problem, as discussed in this thread, is that new antibiotics have not been found. My example is Vancomycin.

Have not been found -- yet.

OTOH antibiotics will be old science some day. Gene therapy and altering genes is the future.

Back
Top Bottom