• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The strength of our jury system

If I was on trial, I'd be worried about being judged by 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty. :2razz:

It means I am staying true to my decision after a great deal of thought. It's odd that you would have issues with that? Shouldn't that be the norm?

Good citizenship should be the norm, with all that nominally entails--keeping up with what's going on in your community and voting in all local and county elections and maybe once or twice in your life--I still haven't--serving on a jury.

It's hard when there are biasing factors like race, class and other prejudicial factors involved. A black person facing a white jury is more likely to go to jail than a white man facing a white jury.

There's also the fact that the majority of cases don't even go to trial anymore. Defendants who can't afford a good lawyer are offered a lesser sentence if they just plead guilty, or otherwise face enormous prison sentences. A lot of people in jail at this point are not even guilty according to a jury of their peers or a discussion of the evidence; they simply plead guilty to avoid being separated from their families and livelihood for damnable periods of time.

Our system is broken. District Attorney's have more power now than judges to alter the lives of the accused.

Good citizenship should be the norm, with all that nominally entails--keeping up with what's going on in your community and voting in all local and county elections and maybe once or twice in your life--I still haven't--serving on a jury.
Two out of three, all that can be asked of most of us.

Back
Top Bottom