• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The story of Anne Frank and who betrayed her goes high-tech (video)

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.today.com/video/search-...rayed-anne-frank-goes-high-tech-1409067075732

The story of Anne Frank and who betrayed her and her family remains the ultimate cold case, and retired FBI agent Vince Pankoke wants to solve it. Recently declassified Nazi files and cutting-edge technology could lead Pankoke and his team closer to solving the mystery. NBC’s Kelly Cobiella reports.
=========================================
Some Dutch person ratted out the Franks. This professional investigator is using new methods to ID that fink.

There's no pirate treasure in the cove. Oak Island is BS. The Templars is a load of crap. Need anyone comment on Ancient Aliens? Hunting Hitler I presume was a typical boondoggle.

The "History" Channel has made me a cynic.

There's no pirate treasure in the cove. Oak Island is BS. The Templars is a load of crap. Need anyone comment on Ancient Aliens? Hunting Hitler I presume was a typical boondoggle.

When the “History Channel” first debuted it was the deal! I had a GF at the time, and she slammed me once with,”you know there’s more to life than a six-pack and the “History Channel!” “Wrong, can I get a sammich?”

Soon you realize that there is only so much history on audio/visual recordings and after a while it is all repackaged stories...

When the “History Channel” first debuted it was the deal! I had a GF at the time, and she slammed me once with,”you know there’s more to life than a six-pack and the “History Channel!” “Wrong, can I get a sammich?”

Soon you realize that there is only so much history on audio/visual recordings and after a while it is all repackaged stories...

Now they literally make crap up.

No wonder the GF you refer to in the past tense.

The Templars is a load of crap?

https://www.today.com/video/search-...rayed-anne-frank-goes-high-tech-1409067075732

The story of Anne Frank and who betrayed her and her family remains the ultimate cold case, and retired FBI agent Vince Pankoke wants to solve it. Recently declassified Nazi files and cutting-edge technology could lead Pankoke and his team closer to solving the mystery. NBC’s Kelly Cobiella reports.
Some Dutch person ratted out the Franks. This professional investigator is using new methods to ID that fink.

Not much of a computer guy but building an algorithm would be a quick way of sorting through the mass of data.

That's a cool story jack, I hope that they get somewhere with it: they found the Titanic!

The Templars is a load of crap?

Well, they didn't give pirates any treasure to hide. And they didn't populate Atlantis.

Well, they didn't give pirates any treasure to hide. And they didn't populate Atlantis.

You should be reading the real books about those guys.

What is meant by "recently declassified" with regard to Nazis? Was there a reason to keep Nazi anything classified? How recently?
Wow, just wow. I wonder if there's a way to track down my grandfather's fortune, which he had to hand over to the Nazis.
(25 million Marks in gold)

It is indeed possible that they were betrayed. In fact there are several suspects but for none of these suspects is there enough evidence to even confidently claim they were the ones who betrayed Anne and her family.

What is factual and known is that they were arrested on August the fourth in 1944. Officers find the hidden family Frank and arrest the family and 2 of their helpers. There is no official report from the Germans but all the surviving helpers and Otto Frank state that this was the fatal day.

At least 3 police officers were present during the arrest. Austrian Karl Silberbauer and the Dutch police officers Gezinus Gringhuis en Willem Grootendorst.

They were identified by Otto Frank and the 5 surviving helpers of the Frank family.

Otto Frank wrote in 1945 that he and his helpers had been looking for who betrayed them. Betrayal was the main focus of the investigation for years and years.

There were a few scenario's:

1. The SD (Sicherheits Dienst, security service) received a phone call betraying the family. The Austrian Silberbauer later, during questioning by Wiesenthal claims he received the call from a "Dutch person". But there is no evidence for that and later he changed his story several times. From there was no phone call, then there was a phone call, to a reporter from the Telegraaf he states that the call came from warehouse worker Willem van Maaren.
But the whole phone call story is dubious, in that time of 1944 large sections of the personal phone network was stopped/not working.

2. some lady called the SD and started the raid. But same as before, the phone line issue

3. Willem van Maaren was the traitor, he was reported by Frank and his helpers as the possible traitor to the police but police investigations in 1946 and far later when Silberbaur was found, but no evidence was found for this.

4. Tonny Ahlers was the traitor, he was a Dutch nazi, he blackmailed Otto Frank after Frank vocally stated he was unsure about the German chances to win the war. That made him a target for blackmail. Some say that he betrayed Frank but there is no evidence for this

5. Lena de Hartog was the traitor, her husband worked without paying taxes at the warehouse at the Prinsengracht 263, but there is no evidence if she spoke about this because they were arrested on August the 4th or that she was the one who betrayed her because her husband told her about the hiding family.

6. Ans van Dijk was the triator, this was a Jewish woman who was arrested by the Germans and got the choice, betray Jewish families that were hiding from the Germans or go to a concentration camp herself. Her choice was to betray other Jews and she made a lot of victims under the hiding Jews and their helpers.

But there is also a chance nobody betrayed them. The Anne Frank Foundation found during an investigation that there may have been other reasons the house where the Franks were hiding was raided. It is certain that 2 salespeople who sold the Frank's helpers illegal booklet of food stamps were arrested for their black market dealings, it is possible that this led to the finding of the Frank family. Also, warehouse employee Lammert Hartog was working "off the books" and the director Victor Kugler had been keeping income secret from his accounting records. More was happening in the building other than hiding the Frank Family.

Maybe the new investigation will lead to some breakthrough but that is highly doubtful. Most if not all of the people connected to this story have been dead for some time so the chance of getting to the truth about the betrayal (if there was one) is dubious at best.

Now they literally make crap up.

In the Netherlands they transmit some good shows, shows like Mountain men and Forged in Fire. Both of those shows I really like, but you are right, a lot of filler material is shown between the few good shows.

How much money did Otto loose by trying to stash it in Swiss banks?

It is indeed possible that they were betrayed. In fact there are several suspects but for none of these suspects is there enough evidence to even confidently claim they were the ones who betrayed Anne and her family.

What is factual and known is that they were arrested on August the fourth in 1944. Officers find the hidden family Frank and arrest the family and 2 of their helpers. There is no official report from the Germans but all the surviving helpers and Otto Frank state that this was the fatal day.

At least 3 police officers were present during the arrest. Austrian Karl Silberbauer and the Dutch police officers Gezinus Gringhuis en Willem Grootendorst.

They were identified by Otto Frank and the 5 surviving helpers of the Frank family.

Otto Frank wrote in 1945 that he and his helpers had been looking for who betrayed them. Betrayal was the main focus of the investigation for years and years.

There were a few scenario's:

1. The SD (Sicherheits Dienst, security service) received a phone call betraying the family. The Austrian Silberbauer later, during questioning by Wiesenthal claims he received the call from a "Dutch person". But there is no evidence for that and later he changed his story several times. From there was no phone call, then there was a phone call, to a reporter from the Telegraaf he states that the call came from warehouse worker Willem van Maaren.
But the whole phone call story is dubious, in that time of 1944 large sections of the personal phone network was stopped/not working.

2. some lady called the SD and started the raid. But same as before, the phone line issue

3. Willem van Maaren was the traitor, he was reported by Frank and his helpers as the possible traitor to the police but police investigations in 1946 and far later when Silberbaur was found, but no evidence was found for this.

4. Tonny Ahlers was the traitor, he was a Dutch nazi, he blackmailed Otto Frank after Frank vocally stated he was unsure about the German chances to win the war. That made him a target for blackmail. Some say that he betrayed Frank but there is no evidence for this

5. Lena de Hartog was the traitor, her husband worked without paying taxes at the warehouse at the Prinsengracht 263, but there is no evidence if she spoke about this because they were arrested on August the 4th or that she was the one who betrayed her because her husband told her about the hiding family.

6. Ans van Dijk was the triator, this was a Jewish woman who was arrested by the Germans and got the choice, betray Jewish families that were hiding from the Germans or go to a concentration camp herself. Her choice was to betray other Jews and she made a lot of victims under the hiding Jews and their helpers.

But there is also a chance nobody betrayed them. The Anne Frank Foundation found during an investigation that there may have been other reasons the house where the Franks were hiding was raided. It is certain that 2 salespeople who sold the Frank's helpers illegal booklet of food stamps were arrested for their black market dealings, it is possible that this led to the finding of the Frank family. Also, warehouse employee Lammert Hartog was working "off the books" and the director Victor Kugler had been keeping income secret from his accounting records. More was happening in the building other than hiding the Frank Family.

Maybe the new investigation will lead to some breakthrough but that is highly doubtful. Most if not all of the people connected to this story have been dead for some time so the chance of getting to the truth about the betrayal (if there was one) is dubious at best.

They'll turn your summary into a season of

"We found a scrap of paper! That's paper, right?! What a find!...

So, we couldn't confirm anything from the piece of what is probably paper, but we spoke to a leading expert, Mr. Imajackass, about what he thinks the paper could be."

Every episode.

They'll turn your summary into a season of

"We found a scrap of paper! That's paper, right?! What a find!...

So, we couldn't confirm anything from the piece of what is probably paper, but we spoke to a leading expert, Mr. Imajackass, about what he thinks the paper could be."

Every episode.

I would assume that if the Anne Frank foundation, the Dutch police and Simon Wiesenthal, Dutch reporters were unable to find evidence or even a likely suspect, no matter how many mister Imajackass's they are going to parade out, the song remains the same, innocent until proven and on top of that stone cold dead also (the suspects that is).

I would assume that if the Anne Frank foundation, the Dutch police and Simon Wiesenthal, Dutch reporters were unable to find evidence or even a likely suspect, no matter how many mister Imajackass's they are going to parade out, the song remains the same, innocent until proven and on top of that stone cold dead also (the suspects that is).

Maybe something will be discovered, but I'd bet people can get all the info in the show from your summary.

Last edited:

This is more than about one person who betrayed Anne Frank. It is about the mind set. Are we sure we are different today? Are we sure we would....? Before you answer, take a minute to research, put yourself in a situation other than one of comfort.

This is more than about one person who betrayed Anne Frank. It is about the mind set. Are we sure we are different today? Are we sure we would....? Before you answer, take a minute to research, put yourself in a situation other than one of comfort.

We have a Dutch saying, de verrader slaapt nooit which is translated to "the traitor never sleeps" which means that there is always the risk of someone betraying you.

This is kind of off topic but can anyone recommend a biographical film about her life? Not a documentary, but a film with actors and such. There have been several done over the years but I'm not sure which would be the most accurate.

This is kind of off topic but can anyone recommend a biographical film about her life? Not a documentary, but a film with actors and such. There have been several done over the years but I'm not sure which would be the most accurate.

it's a German film Das Tagebuch der Anne Frank from 2016 and The Diary of Anne Frank from 1959 in black and white

Back
Top Bottom