• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Stay at Home Mom Stereotype[W:49]

Re: The Stay at Home Mom Stereotype

Ahhhhhhh I get it. It's okay spikey, Big Daddy Gip's got the cure for what ails ya.

Reported.

Because you obviously don't know what 'stop doing that' means.

Eh. It's not really that big a deal. My mother spent twenty years out of the workforce to stay home. It took her a couple of years to break back in (especially in this economy), but she eventually managed to do it.

It just required that she go to back to school to acquire some new skills.

Yeah - I'm working on that school thing. It doesn't mean as much as it should these days, though.

My father was stay at home and my mother went to work. I didn't even know this was considered strange until I got older. I lived a happy live as a kid and things were fairly balanced.

In today's world I'm surprised that any family can have one parent at home full time, with the way economic pressures are. I would have preferred to raise my family without also having to work. Changing countries helped a bit, but my partner and I both have to work so it can be challenging.

As for the stereotypes about stay at home moms, they're mostly a leftover from eras byegone, and perpetuated by people who aren't actively involved in raising children.

FBI Agent.

Scully.jpg

Eh. She could certainly do worse. :mrgreen:

More seriously though, my mother had a Bachelors in Communications from back in the 1980s, but found that it was pretty much useless in today's economy without some kind of experience to back it up. As such, she decided to go back to school to get a nursing degree.

She started back in 2009, and it just recently paid off in the form of a salaried position as a school nurse.

It actually seems to be a pretty popular job field at the moment from what I've seen.

But look, you choose to have kids, fine. You do what you want. But let's not pretend it doesn't entail being a financially dependent adult.
You're putting the dependency on the wrong foot.
The mother could get a job more easily than the father could get the multiple laborers necessary to replace her.

It's not about the money.
My wife didn't work until our youngest was sixteen.
The difference between us and our double income friends is the quality of the cars.
The difference between our children's childhoods is immeasurable.

I'm not faulting women who must work, but in the end they don't all have to.

View attachment 67154883

More seriously though, my mother had a bachelor's in Communication from back in the 1980s, but found that it was pretty much useless in today's economy without some kind of experience to back it up. As such, she decided to go back to school to get a nursing degree.

She started back in 2009, and it just recently paid off in the form of a salaried position as a school nurse.

It actually seems to be a pretty popular job field at the moment from what I've seen.

(I was being a cutie pie. Didn't want you buying into stereotypes.) But I could absolutely!!!! picture Auntie as an agent. Scully?? You betcha'!!

View attachment 67154883

More seriously though, my mother had a Bachelors in Communications from back in the 1980s, but found that it was pretty much useless in today's economy without some kind of experience to back it up. As such, she decided to go back to school to get a nursing degree.

Frankly, I don't know how nursing isn't saturated these days. For almost a decade, I've seen nursing schools just flooded. Hell, 70% of the women I've dated down in Alabama have been in the nursing field (or a related medical field).

Frankly, I don't know how nursing isn't saturated these days. For almost a decade, I've seen nursing schools just flooded. Hell, 70% of the women I've dated down in Alabama have been in the nursing field (or a related medical field).

Make no mistake. It's definitely getting harder to find jobs in the industry. My mom sat around for more than a year after she got her associates before she managed to land a job anywhere, and even then, she had a couple of false starts with nursing homes that were basically hiring up new nurses just to chew them up and spit them out again a month or two later before she found her current position.

It's a tough economy pretty much all the way around.

It's because it's such a suck-ass job. The attrition rate for new RN's coming into the field, is 50% dropping out of the profession within 5 years. I've been nursing for 30 years now. The job has continued to get increasingly bad. I do it because my pay is good, and the schedule is excellent for my life. Otherwise, I would be out of nursing in a heart beat.

Make no mistake. It's definitely getting harder to find jobs in the industry. My mom sat around for more than a year after she got her associates before she managed to land a job anywhere, and even then, she had a couple of false starts with nursing homes that were basically hiring up new nurses just to chew them up and spit them out again a month or two later before she found her current position.

It's a tough economy pretty much all the way around.

I must've missed the memo. When I was managing a medical office, the nurses were paid wonderfully and I never had a resume on my desk for a nurse. Maybe it's just because of where I'm at, but around here a nurse can essentially throw a dart at a map and say "I guess I'll work there".

It's because it's such a suck-ass job. The attrition rate for new RN's coming into the field, is 50% dropping out of the profession within 5 years. I've been nursing for 30 years now. The job has continued to get increasingly bad. I do it because my pay is good, and the schedule is excellent for my life. Otherwise, I would be out of nursing in a heart beat.

Why would RN have a drop-out rate? You'd think that they'd know if that's what they want to do by the time they're an LPN.

Why would RN have a drop-out rate? You'd think that they'd know if that's what they want to do by the time they're an LPN.

Many of them don't go to LVN school first.

Many of them don't go to LVN school first.

That's odd. I've never wanted to walk before I crawled.

I think it's because it's just too easy to be a nurse these days. You can be an RN with an associate's. I can't even imagine why a nurse would want to go for a MSN unless they're trying to be a practitioner.

I must've missed the memo. When I was managing a medical office, the nurses were paid wonderfully and I never had a resume on my desk for a nurse. Maybe it's just because of where I'm at, but around here a nurse can essentially throw a dart at a map and say "I guess I'll work there".

Which is basically what she was sold too. The difficulty might have something to do with her age, though I do remember reading that the market for nurses was pretty saturated in Charleston regardless.

There is certainly no denying that the pay is good, in any case. She's making almost 30 where she's at now, with holidays and other benefits.

That's odd. I've never wanted to walk before I crawled.

I think it's because it's just too easy to be a nurse these days. You can be an RN with an associate's. I can't even imagine why a nurse would want to go for a MSN unless they're trying to be a practitioner.

Some of the hospitals are now requiring an MSN if you want to work in any type of management position.

And no, it's not easy at all. The schools are highly competitive, and the course is rigorous.

Some of the hospitals are now requiring an MSN if you want to work in any type of management position.

BSN isn't enough anymore? Seems like requiring a masters would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

BSN isn't enough anymore? Seems like requiring a masters would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that it has something to do with regulatory agencies.

What else is new with regards to American education and employment? :lol:

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that it has something to do with regulatory agencies.

I wonder if a management position pays more than a practitioner. The office I managed was my aunt's (she's a NP) and she was afforded a rather handsome salary, plus profit sharing (obviously since she has ownership stake).

Moderator's Warning:
There have been some personal comments, they need to stop. Please also refocus on the topic.

Back
Top Bottom