• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Stalinization of Russia

Lafayette

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From The Economist here: The Stalinization of Russia

Excerpt:

As it sinks in that he cannot win in Ukraine, Vladimir Putin is resorting to repression at home. hen vladimir putin ordered the invasion of Ukraine, he dreamed of restoring the glory of the Russian empire. He has ended up restoring the terror of Josef Stalin. That is not only because he has unleashed the most violent act of unprovoked aggression in Europe since 1939, but also because, as a result, he is turning himself into a dictator at home—a 21st-century Stalin, resorting as never before to lies, violence and paranoia.

Well put!

It's very much time for a "wakey-wakey!" in Russia ...

POUTINISM

I would look at Fascism rather than Communism for the type of dictatorship Russia is leaning towards right now.

Or a mix of the two?

Communism after all was Central Control of Government - which in Russia today is in the hands of one-man and his henchmen. So, yes, Fascism is more appropriate.

Fascism from Wikipedia:
Fascism is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, and forcible suppression of opposition ...

Bulls-eye for "Russia" today under Poutinsm ... !

Let's see how well Putin's regime score on Laurence W. Britt's fourteen characteristics of fascism.

1. Powerful and continuing nationalism
Yep, easily score this one

2. Disdain for human rights
Oh yeah

3. Identification of scapegoats as a unifying cause
With the way LGBTQ people are being scapegoated for everything evil, yes, they score this one.

4. The supremacy of the military
They score this one

5. Rampant sexism
This one is always hard, because it doesn't come down to "are people sexist", but is the State promoting sexism. But considering Russian women are banned from certain jobs by the government, I say yes.

6. Controlled mass media
Yes

7. Obsession with national security
As the last few years have shown, yes.

8. Religion and ruling elite tied together
I always interpret this one as needing something more than just the State controls religion, the USSR controlled religion, but I wouldn't score anti- religious entity like the USSR with this one, because that was defensive, i.e. make sure religious folk stay in line, rather than an offensive, i.e. promote religion officially and aggressively. Butmodern Russia does this, the political elite relish in religious imagery, and promote the supremacy of the Orthodox church, while the Church itself is not only controlled by the State, but one of it's main propaganda arms.

9. Corporations protected
Yep, the corporations in Russia are in league with Kreml, and thus protected by Kreml. The Oligarchs of course the ones that run most corporations.

10. Power of labor suppressed
This is one I will honestly say I don't know enough about, and just because of that not score it for now.

11. Disdain and suppression of intellectuals and the arts
Again this one needs a hard look, because it's not only "is there censorship", but is there a state sponsored anti- intellectualism. I think there is, but I will be very cautious with this. But I think there is enough to score this one.

12. Obsession with crime and punishment
Yes

13. Rampant cronyism and corruption
Oh yeah.

14. Fraudulent elections
Yep

Just from this Putin's regime scores 13 out of 14. I could be talked into scoring the 10th point, and I can also be talked into not scoring point 11, since I am cautious about that one, but they score 12-14 on Britt's scale, which is very Fascist.

Let's see how well Putin's regime score on Laurence W. Britt's fourteen characteristics of fascism.

Just from this Putin's regime scores 13 out of 14. I could be talked into scoring the 10th point, and I can also be talked into not scoring point 11, since I am cautious about that one, but they score 12-14 on Britt's scale, which is very Fascist.
Good Lord .
Just one point behind the US .

Big difference is that Russia along with China are the planet's new drive force whereas the US is a fading something .

Oh yeah

With the way LGBTQ people are being scapegoated for everything evil, yes, they score this one.

They score this one

5. Rampant sexism
This one is always hard, because it doesn't come down to "are people sexist", but is the State promoting sexism. But considering Russian women are banned from certain jobs by the government, I say yes.

6. Controlled mass media
Yes

I always interpret this one as needing something more than just the State controls religion, the USSR controlled religion, but I wouldn't score anti- religious entity like the USSR with this one, because that was defensive, i.e. make sure religious folk stay in line, rather than an offensive, i.e. promote religion officially and aggressively. Butmodern Russia does this, the political elite relish in religious imagery, and promote the supremacy of the Orthodox church, while the Church itself is not only controlled by the State, but one of it's main propaganda arms.

Yep, the corporations in Russia are in league with Kreml, and thus protected by Kreml. The Oligarchs of course the ones that run most corporations.

This is one I will honestly say I don't know enough about, and just because of that not score it for now.

Again this one needs a hard look, because it's not only "is there censorship", but is there a state sponsored anti- intellectualism. I think there is, but I will be very cautious with this. But I think there is enough to score this one.

Yes

Oh yeah.

14. Fraudulent elections
Yep

4. Some forms of domestic violence are decriminalized in Russia :/

Good Lord .
Just one point behind the US .

Big difference is that Russia along with China are the planet's new drive force whereas the US is a fading something .
If you want I could score US, they would score some but far less of them.

About Putin: Before Russia invaded Ukraine, Vladimir Putin had shown himself to be a racist, fascist dictator – Scotsman comment

Excerpt:
By launching his invasion of Ukraine, Vladimir Putin has revealed his true colours to the world. He is no president, strongman or autocratic leader, he is a 21st-century fascist dictator.

In a 2019 interview, Putin effectively spelled out his opposition to democracy by declaring that liberalism, the ideology that underpins it, was “obsolete”.

And he went further. Multiculturalism was "no longer tenable”, he said, before claiming “migrants can kill, plunder and rape with impunity because their rights as migrants have to be protected”.

This is the language of a racist who believes in ‘monoculturalism’, who views outsiders as violent criminals, and who lies to support his world view – liberals believe in human rights, which apply to everyone, including migrants, but they still send murderers and rapists to prison.

His prejudice also came out when asked about Russian interference in the 2016 US election, in aid of Donald Trump. Speaking about 13 Russian nationals charged by the US authorities, Putin said: “Maybe they're not even Russians, but Ukrainians, Tatars, Jews, just with Russian citizenship.” So a Russian Jew, according to Putin, is not Russian.

From The Economist here: The Stalinization of Russia

Excerpt:

Well put!

It's very much time for a "wakey-wakey!" in Russia ...
The excerpt is immediately wrong. Russia is in fact winning in Ukraine and likely the Kiev regime will collapse be April. So when your article starts out with factually wrong propaganda churned out by a desperate and falling Kiev than it leads one to question the rest.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Just makes my case for the Russian state being Sexist stronger.

From here:

Excerpt:
The current tally of women in the Russian Army stands at around 115,000 to 160,000, representing 10% of Russia's military strength.

Other "armies" female percentage:

25840.jpeg

From here: The Stalinisation of Russia

Excerpt:

When ladimir Putin ordered the invasion of Ukraine, he dreamed of restoring the glory of the Russian empire. He has ended up restoring the terror of Josef Stalin. That is not only because he has unleashed the most violent act of unprovoked aggression in Europe since 1939, but also because, as a result, he is turning himself into a dictator at home—a 21st-century Stalin, resorting as never before to lies, violence and paranoia.

To grasp Mr Putin’s appetite for violence, look at how the war is being fought. Having failed to win a quick victory, Russia is trying to sow panic by starving Ukrainian cities and pounding them blindly. On March 9th it hit a maternity hospital in Mariupol. If Mr Putin is committing war crimes against the fellow Slavs he eulogised in his writings, he is ready to inflict slaughter at home.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Just makes my case for the Russian state being Sexist stronger.
Moscow gang and its elites sell it as the support traditional Muscovite family

Oh yeah

They score this one

5. Rampant sexism

6. Controlled mass media
Yes

Yes

Oh yeah.

14. Fraudulent elections
Yep

The famous 14 points of how you can label any regime fascist with broad definitions? Lol pathetic. The regime of Barack Obama is fascist under all of these

From here:

Excerpt:

Other "armies" female percentage:

25840.jpeg
That's all nice, but Russia decriminalized domestic violence and have a list of professions women are banned from, which still means they score the point of State Sexism on Britt's Fascism characteristics.

I would look at Fascism rather than Communism for the type of dictatorship Russia is leaning towards right now.

When people are repressed, the free exchange of ideas is destroyed and the value of life is set to zero, does it matter if it is Communism or Fascism doing the damage?

Back
Top Bottom